Katich should captain: Hogg

Should be whoever has the best cricket mind, that could even be a bowler? Should perform a kind of test and have different senario's and see which player handles it the best or gives the best option.

This is ridiculous. You can't just get rid of him, there have been few decisions that have actually been made by Ponting that have cost us games, Nagpur apart.

People are so willing to deliver accolades when people do well, but as soon as a mistake is made they're right at their throat. Who was saying this after the SA series? The Champions Trophy? The India series?

One draw shouldn't change anything....

Ponting is pretty dumb though as far as cricket sense goes. An example is the first ashes test where towards the end he was using the spinners. Fair enough giving them say a few overs but nowhere near as much as he did. As soon as the spinners weren't troubling the batsmen, Ponting should of brought back on the pace attack.

Ooooh, Rodney Hogg, I thought it was weird, I mean Brad Hogg's probably dead or something

Katich shall lead us with the way of the crab

Ponting is pretty dumb though as far as cricket sense goes. An example is the first ashes test where towards the end he was using the spinners. Fair enough giving them say a few overs but nowhere near as much as he did. As soon as the spinners weren't troubling the batsmen, Ponting should of brought back on the pace attack.

And you call yourself a Tasmanian..... :p

Ponting hasn't done anything that bad to have the captaincy stripped off him, yes he's had his ups and downs recently but he has lead Australia from the front well during his time as captain and has managed to keep the side on track when Australia lost the likes of Gilchrist, Hayden, McGrath and Langer. Michael Clarke would probably be the obvious candidate to take over the captaincy when Ponting retires but Simon Katich wouldn't be a bad option as captain of the test team, he has really stepped up when Australia lost Hayden and since then he has secured his spot in the side. The only question is whether or not he'll be around in test cricket for another 5-6 years?

Just to add to what I wrote earlier, Justin Langer was commenting on Ponting's captaincy in an article today: Greats back Hughes to return - Australia - Fox Sports

Langer also strongly defended Ponting's captaincy following a call by former fast bowler Rodney Hogg to replace Ponting as leader with Katich.

"He is quite inspirational as a leader and I just never get all the detractors he has," Langer said.

"Whether it's in the fielding practice, the nets, the way he holds himself off the field - every time he speaks, these young guys just listen, they hang on every word he says.

"It's a very, very hard job - I never did it, not many people did. His record speaks for itself, as a batsman, as a leader he has been outstanding.

"To hear some of this rubbish I hear from former players, it must have been an easy game for them."

That supports my opinion: Ricky is a great OFF field captain. Sometimes not a great on field captain, but he still does that pretty well too despite arguments from the intellectual ant, Rodney Hogg.

In fact with his off field prowess, I'd argue that when Ricky wants to give up playing, he should slide straight into the coaching chair and kick out Nielsen, who I haven't been particularly impressed with. John Buchanon did well because he introduced new ideas and made the players think differently. Some didn't like that eg. Shane Warne, but I think he made the team stronger despite that. I'm sure Nielsen has some good ideas, but Ponting seems to have a much bigger influence on the team right now and Nielsen seems a bit useless.

Buchanan did well because he was coaching eight of the greatest players of all time, in the same playing XI.

Ponting has what..2 consecutive World Cups and 2 Champion Trophies under his belt right now? He's still the ODI king.

He has won the last 2 test tours to SA, I dont see any other captains even managing one. Sure we lost the Ashes twice, and the indian tour too, but apart from the 04 win we havent even looked like winning in India for 40 years, not Ponting's fault. 16 wins in a row- Steve Waugh's effort is always mentioned but not Ponting's, equally great performance. People are so quick to judge. How many captains have managed to maintain an average 50 while still winning tests for their country? we've seen how Sachin did during his reigns as captain, if he found it too hard then it must be tough job, even more kudos for Ponting for all his great performances. Sachin might have pressure from the crazy amounts of people in India but Ponting is under huge pressure too ALL the time as captain of Australia, the media jumps on him at every opportunity, so does the thousands of Ponting haters, yet he powers through and holds his head up.

Punter, you bloody beauty.

Agree with Robelinda. Despite the pressure of being captain of Australia, a job some say is more important that being Prime Minister, he has still scored runs at an incredibly consistent rate, and under pressure in many circumstances.

Chuck Ponting out of the test side. Katmatmadman rulzzzzz:hpraise:hpraise:hpraise

In fact with his off field prowess, I'd argue that when Ricky wants to give up playing, he should slide straight into the coaching chair and kick out Nielsen, who I haven't been particularly impressed with. John Buchanon did well because he introduced new ideas and made the players think differently. Some didn't like that eg. Shane Warne, but I think he made the team stronger despite that. I'm sure Nielsen has some good ideas, but Ponting seems to have a much bigger influence on the team right now and Nielsen seems a bit useless.

Agree, I would kick him out right now and get Warne in there. Anyone is better than Nielsen. Buchann was awesome in the analysis side of things, which is what we need now. We have players not converting their 100s, guys like Katich and North playing loose when at state level they are value their wickets. Then you have Mitchell Johnson bowling all over the place, Siddle being up and down and neither of them are reaching their full potential in terms of speed, both should be around the 150km/h mark.

Users who are viewing this thread