LG ICC Rankings Discussion

zimrahul said:
collymore is enough for hunting India's batsman.

India can only win abroad when ganguly is made as the captain

Ganguly as a captain is 'history'! Forget it and move over it!

We have not seen Dravid captaining abroad for a full series to pass our judgements on him!

It started when Mark Taylor's team beat the Windies in the 94/95 test series. That was the point where the crown was handed from WI to Aus. Aus have improved and improved this domination through the years.

saisrini80 said:
Ganguly as a captain is 'history'! Forget it and move over it!

We have not seen Dravid captaining abroad for a full series to pass our judgements on him!
dravid is one of the worst captains India had.See his captaincy record.Not even 50% success.Shame. :mad

zimrahul said:
dravid is one of the worst captains India had.See his captaincy record.Not even 50% success.Shame. :mad

Bulls**t!!!! Dravid has a 53.85% success rate as a captain in ODI's (since thats what you're talking abt with the World Cup in mind!). Of the 27 matches that he has captained India in, he has won 14 matches, lost 12 matches and had 1 no result match! So he has more than a 50% success ratio!

Get your facts straight before speaking up!

Here is Dravid's captaincy record (Courtesy: Cricinfo)

Dravid's captaincy record

Last edited:
zimrahul said:
collymore is enough for hunting India's batsman.

India can only win abroad when ganguly is made as the captain

Mate thats totally rubbish!, India has got the talent and expierence to do so.

aussie1st said:
It started when Mark Taylor's team beat the Windies in the 94/95 test series. That was the point where the crown was handed from WI to Aus. Aus have improved and improved this domination through the years.
That may have been the point where Australia started on that road, but I don't think they were dominating everyone then. At that time, I was only interested in how Pakistani team fared against other countries and I remember us beating Australia in crucial matches many times under Wasim's captaincy (or was it Malik).

Well they definitely weren't beating everyone, that was just the starting point of the domination era which is still in tact today.

In a few years time we may be can think of England winning the Ashes as the ending of the Australian era and the beginning of the English one. Of course thats too hard to say right now.

nightprowler10 said:
That may have been the point where Australia started on that road, but I don't think they were dominating everyone then. At that time, I was only interested in how Pakistani team fared against other countries and I remember us beating Australia in crucial matches many times under Wasim's captaincy (or was it Malik).

It was Malik who was captaining the Pakistani side when Pakistan beat Australia at home,

m_vaughan said:
Imo Aus still have a big lead over the chasing pact. This is something that they have built up over the past 4-5 years of complete dominance. But now that gap is showing signs of decreasing.

In Test matches, only England have a realistic chance of beating the Aussies. India might be closing in on both these teams, but I am sure they will drop back down once they start playing test series away from home. Same can be said about Pakistan.

In ODIs, I seriously think that the current SA side is well equipped to beat the Aussies. India are also turning out to be a dangerous force, and New Zealand at their best are capable of beating any side. I have my doubts about England in the shorter version of the game, although with players like KP, Freddie and Collingwood, they are surely getting a strong team ready for the World Cup.

And talking about the World Cup, I had this dream last night where in England take on South Africa in the final and win the match by just 4 runs. Might be only a dream, but both teams are good enough to win their first ever World Cup in 2007.
India ,actually have the best record against Australia during the Australian decade of dominance . We`ve beaten them in 1998,2001 and the series in 2003 was tied . Australia beat us in 2004 and 1999 . Even in our worst form we made it tough for the Aussies in 2004 (had it not rained at Chennai) .

England have just one the Ashes but I doubt whether they have the batting under the difficult conditions .

The Indian batting has certainly proved themselves against Australia time and again in test cricket . T
The fact that India have had 3 partnerships of over 300 in the past 3-4 years in itself shows that the Indian batting lineup is the only one to have dominated Australia . You may argue that England do have Flintoff, Pietersen, Trescothick , Strauss, Vaughan but I feel a lineup of Sehwag,VVS,Dravid,Sachin,Yuvraj/Ganguly looks far more dangerous .

On the other hand England have the bowling resources to do the trick but as we`ve often seen , if your batting does not do well , even th bowlers become less effective . If your batsmen put up scores of 500+ , even a mediocre attack will look potent .

aditya123 said:
India ,actually have the best record against Australia during the Australian decade of dominance . We`ve beaten them in 1998,2001 and the series in 2003 was tied . Australia beat us in 2004 and 1999 . Even in our worst form we made it tough for the Aussies in 2004 (had it not rained at Chennai) .

England have just one the Ashes but I doubt whether they have the batting under the difficult conditions .

The Indian batting has certainly proved themselves against Australia time and again in test cricket . T
The fact that India have had 3 partnerships of over 300 in the past 3-4 years in itself shows that the Indian batting lineup is the only one to have dominated Australia . You may argue that England do have Flintoff, Pietersen, Trescothick , Strauss, Vaughan but I feel a lineup of Sehwag,VVS,Dravid,Sachin,Yuvraj/Ganguly looks far more dangerous .

On the other hand England have the bowling resources to do the trick but as we`ve often seen , if your batting does not do well , even th bowlers become less effective . If your batsmen put up scores of 500+ , even a mediocre attack will look potent .

I think m_vaughan (Siddarth) is talking abt the bigger picture of beating the Aussies to the No.1 spot in the ICC test championship rankings, i think thats what you meant Siddarth!

India are a very good test side (in fact, they are better off in tests still!). But what India now need is a more consistent approach. So far till the test series against Zimbabwe which hogged the limelight for more wrong reasons, they have been blowing hot one day and cold the other! They need to be consistent, they need to keep up the aggression for longer periods of time. Sometimes it looks to me as if they reach a certain peak and wait for things to happen! That would spell doom against tougher sides. Thats where I think Dravid's appointment as test captain would work for us. We have seen so far from his captaincy in ODI's that he rarely lets up! He attacks until the opposition is fully flat! Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt work. But with a far greater application, it will work most of the times!

In fact, I think India with the side that they have now, are more capable than England to remove the Aussies from that coveted position of No.1 in the ICC test championship!

Admins, can you name this thread `LG ICC Rankings Discussion thread` and pin/stick it ?
We do not have a discussion thread on the rankings ATM .
WE do have a LG ICC RAnkings thread but only for the admins to post .

I've renamed it but left it unsticky. It gets too confusing going back to the front page for the latest ranking and then chatting about it on say page 6. Or if the updated raknings were posted on page 6 then its confusing for new members wanting to know the latest ranking.

Anyway post the rankings on the current page, and I'll update the stickied ones for new members to look at.

aditya123 said:

Fair enough. But apart from that drawn series against Australia, India dont really have good memories of playing abroad. England on the other hand have been more consistent in recent times. Under Micheal Vaughan, the current series against Pakistan will be the first test series defeat since 2003. During these two years they've beaten West Indies, South Africa, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and Australia. Also England might have beaten Australia at home, but it was a full strength team they had to beat, whereas India's 1-1 drawn series was against an Aussie side that was without Warne and McGrath. Gillespie too dint play all the games, and Brett Lee had just come back from injury.

The Indian batting does look very dangerous but the problem is all these good batsmen fail to perform overseas. Generally only one in the top six gets a good score in an inning. England's batting I agree however, has the tendency to collapse, but on another day they can very easily score past 500, and do that real quick. They dont do it as frequently as India as they dont get good batting pitches to play on as much as India.

Also Pakistan are looking a pretty good side under Bob Woolmer and have the potential to succeed in both ODIs and Test Matches. The problem with them is their unpredictability.

South Africa are a dangerous force in ODIs, but they still have to deliver in the 5-day game. They are a very very good side though.

Australia's position at no.1 will slowly slip away immediately after warne and mcgrath retires. Expect India or England to take over as these two teams have showed that the have the players and the abilites to be the top team in the world. If SOuth Africa win the VB series or troubles the Aussies then they will certainly be no.1 in the near future. But atm the Aussies deserve to be number 1 but are not as strong as a few years back under the Waugh captaincy.

Users who are viewing this thread