LG ICC Rankings Discussion

If Pakistan beats India coming January, I'll have to say that Pakistan have a good chance of fighting against Australia or England or whatever. This team has developed an amazing fighting spirit which is really helping us right now against England! They were not overawed by the fact that England were just coming after beating the world champions. They stuck to their task and look where its got them. I say Pakistan can throw off that tag of unpredictability if they defeat India comprehensively in January.

UsmanCHADDA said:
If Pakistan beats India coming January, I'll have to say that Pakistan have a good chance of fighting against Australia or England or whatever. This team has developed an amazing fighting spirit which is really helping us right now against England! They were not overawed by the fact that England were just coming after beating the world champions. They stuck to their task and look where its got them. I say Pakistan can throw off that tag of unpredictability if they defeat India comprehensively in January.
You will have to keep up this performance, even in series away from home. 1-1 draw against the West Indies isnt what you want if you want to challenge Australia and England.

But the capability and the talent is definately there. Pakistan are a good side now. I actually back them to beat India.

UsmanCHADDA said:
absolutely true !
and that is why I feel that this India-Pak series will be as closely contested as the Ashes ! Mark my words , it will be a cracker ! Can`t wait for the `Asian Ashes ` to begin !

Its always a ripper even if both sides are out of form. The rivalry brings form. Neither side wants to lose to the other as that gives them bragging rights and the losing fans can expect lots of stick from the winning fans. Your rivalry would be bigger than the Ashes too given you guys are right next door to each other.

I guess this time, it would be even more cracking. Pakistan have almost finished beating England (2 more days to go!) and look in very good form at the moment.. India have been rejuvenated under their new captain Dravid and with the services of Greg Chappell, seems to be hungry for some good cricket! They seem to be united and seem to be enjoying each other's company back again!

So its going to be an even more intense battle than what it was in 2004 when India won both the test and ODI series! I guess the result of the series is again going to depend on how Inzamam fares! If India are able to contain him for less runs, we will have that psychological advantage! If he piles on the runs as usual, then we are on the back foot! We need to stack up some of our experienced bowlers when we tour Pakistan and when we play England! We need experience and attack badly!

It's enlightening, and partially expected, that everyone is predicting his or her own country as the next possible contender for the much coveted number one spot. Keeping in accordance with that trend, I'm going on record as saying that India has a good chance of attaining that spot. The side looks rejuvenated and with a bit more consistency, it should make its mark on World Cricket. Other teams that I am expecting lots from include South Africa and Pakistan. England, in my opinion, has to develop its batting further.

England's batting is not bad. They have got the likes of Trescothick, Pieterson etc who can all score big on their day. England's worry lies in adaptation. Thats what hampered them in Pakistan, they did not adapt to the conditions. Apart from that I think England is a pretty good unit and is the only country which could win against the Aussies now.

Oh i don't know about that. Pakistan have shown what a good team they are, could have a good few years.

kodos said:
Australia's position at no.1 will slowly slip away immediately after warne and mcgrath retires. Expect India or England to take over as these two teams have showed that the have the players and the abilites to be the top team in the world. If SOuth Africa win the VB series or troubles the Aussies then they will certainly be no.1 in the near future. But atm the Aussies deserve to be number 1 but are not as strong as a few years back under the Waugh captaincy.
I think it's a little too short sighted to expect Australia not to discover new bowling talents of the top calibre. I mean they are great bowlers, but they certainly aren't the first to be great. Now it may be 20 years till Aussies see the "next McGrath" but between the times of Lillee and McGrath there were all sorts of men the likes of Hughes, Gillespie, Reid, McDermott and lets not forget Lee is capable of improving himself.

Now if you believe England can get to the top without a McGrath (or anything remotely resembling a Warne, for that matter) then surely Australia stands a chance of maintaining its power in the same fashion.

You mean Giles isn't going to take another 500 test wickets?

Darn.

UsmanCHADDA said:
England's batting is not bad. They have got the likes of Trescothick, Pieterson etc who can all score big on their day. England's worry lies in adaptation. Thats what hampered them in Pakistan, they did not adapt to the conditions. Apart from that I think England is a pretty good unit and is the only country which could win against the Aussies now.

I never said it was indeed bad, rather it isn't as impressive to me as the Pakistani or Indian Batting lineup in form... It's a debate of opinion.

On the note of beating the Aussies, I think that if SA, Pakistan or India get into better form, more on the former, then they have much better of a chance of beating the Australians than the English.

Last edited:
Australia are faltering. What I want to see is the top 4 test teams in the nation play each other in a tournament. Much like the cricket story I am in the middle of! All teams are suitably fit at the moment, and reaching good form ('cept maybe Australia).

Otherwise, I think England have laid claim to second spot because they DID beat the world champions (even if it was at home). That was something no one expected, and it was a strong Aussie team. England still have to develop their subcontinent prowess, much like the subcontinent teams need to develop their "overseas" prowess. Both, of course, are overseas, but in very different conditions.

and that is why I feel that this India-Pak series will be as closely contested as the Ashes ! Mark my words , it will be a cracker ! Can`t wait for the `Asian Ashes ` to begin !

Pak-India series always close contested than the Ashes, aussie was 100% right....
in the last two series of India and Pak, there were 6 test matches all of which went to the last session of the last day and nobody knows what is going to happen in the last session.... 5 out of 6 were deciders......

To be realistic, after Australia, SA is the only team who can dominate... Pakistan and India can't really dominate eachother...in whatever form they are, but when its India-Pak match, then nobody knows what will be the result...
Pak and India can't really dominate like the aussies i.e. they can't become unbeatables.......
abt Eng team, they are a good team, very good team, but i think they also are unable to dominate the world of cricket at the moment.......They need a lot more to become unbeatables......

No need to dominate at all.. If Pak or India can win and become No.1 and keep it within their grasp, it would be good

Don't know if we can discuss this here:

Inzamam-ul-Haq has gone up to maximum career points with 870. He is now again on the third place. He is now equal on points with Ponting. Jacques Kallis (894) and Brian Lara (874) are before him.

Shoaib Akhtar has gone up 4 places. He is now on fourth place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread