LG ICC Rankings Discussion

Let me not get into predictions! Predictions are a lottery!

One thing is sure, the series would be very very close btw India-Pakistan. I dont think Sri Lanka might still beat Pakistan. They have received a battering from India and are finding it very hard to recover. When they bump into another rejuvenated Pakistani side, its going to be a hell lot tough even though they are in their home soil!

I expect Pakistan to beat Sri Lanka!

ZexyZahid said:
So far your predictions are not coming that very true.

I rank India not that lightly, that we will win with 2-0 or 2-1. These matches will be very close and specific individual performances will be difference maker.

Sri Lanka has won only one Test match against Pakistan in Sri Lanka. Pakistan has five Test matches won and four drawn in Sri Lanka. And Sri Lanka has never won a Test series in Sri Lanka against Pakistan. (but three times won in Pakistan itself): http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/BY_OPPONENT/PAK-SL/PAK-SL_TEST_SERIES_SUMMARY.html So maybe that prediction could be rephrased.

But I don't think Pakistan will take Sri Lanka that lightly either.
I had predicted 2-1 to England in the Ashes, and 2-2 draw between SA and India. Its just with this series that Ive gone a bit off-track...lol.

Sri Lanka overall are a tough nut to crack at home. Maybe Pakistan will draw the series, but winning there, despite their past records, seems unlikely.

Predictions

I predict that India will win the Test Series against Sri Lanka by 1-0. Draw in New Delhi and Victory at Ahmedabad, and already wash out at Chennai.

JAI HIND

Pakistan climbed to number 4 in LG ICC Test Rankings after a 2-0 Test victory against England. Now England's rating is at 113 and India's rating is at 112. If India wins the Test series 1-0 or 2-0, India will be at number 2.

JAI HIND

m_vaughan said:
I had predicted 2-1 to England in the Ashes, and 2-2 draw between SA and India. Its just with this series that Ive gone a bit off-track...lol.

Sri Lanka overall are a tough nut to crack at home. Maybe Pakistan will draw the series, but winning there, despite their past records, seems unlikely.

Didn't know that. You're a pretty good guesser then. :clap Let's hope you're only right about the India part then.

i just read that only the top six nations (as on April 1st 2006) will have a direct entry to the ICC Champions Trophy 2006 . The teams ranked No.7 to No.10 will have to paricipate in a playoff which will decide which are the remaining 2 teams to play in the ICC Champions Trophy . (India will have an entry being hosts irrespective of their rank) . ATM NZ,WI, Zim and Bangladesh are the bottom 4 . NZ may slip even further with their defeat against Australia .

The Black Caps are currently seventh in the LG ICC ODI Championship table and if they stay there or drop lower they face the prospect of playing in the preliminary round of next year's ICC Champions Trophy held in India.

The four sides below sixth spot on 1 April 2006 will have to take part in that preliminary round to qualify for the second stage although India, as hosts, will automatically be in that second stage no matter where they are in the table on 1 April.

A consolation for New Zealand is that the middle section of the table, where they currently sit, is a mighty congested area with just one point separating four sides, from India in fourth place to the Black Caps in that seventh position.

I dont think New Zealand should look at it as a sentimental issue of having to qualify for the ICC Champions trophy! India (or at least the Indian media!) have this sentiment that the Indian team should automatically qualify for the trophy! Anyways, I hope we dont fall in the rankings from now on!

After yesterday's game and Bond and Flems coming back, NZ won't stay below 6. They are too good of a side. But its good to see from 2 onwards teams are very close. Aus themselves are starting to slip into the pack.

Aus are slipping away with the loss of major players such as Hayden, Gillespie and Martyn but still quite comfortably at top. I expect in 1 or 2 years time SA will remain 2nd, and India or NZ fight off for 3rd and 4th place. Both teams are very talented and can perform very well.

aussie1st said:
Aus themselves are starting to slip into the pack.

Australia will definately have a tough time replacing a number of veteran star performers, but I'm interested to hear the reasoning behind this comment.

Australia's ODI's played in 2005 (most recent first)

@ N.Z W by 2 runs
@ N.Z W by 147 runs
v WXI W by 156 runs
v WXI W by 55 runs
v WXI W by 156 runs
@ ENG W by 8 wickets
@ ENG W by 7 wickets
@ ENG L by 9 wickets
@ ENG D w/ ENG
v BAN W by 6 wickets
v BAN W by 10 wickets
@ ENG W by 57 runs
@ ENG L by 3 wickets
v BAN L by 5 wickets
@ N.Z W by 122 runs
@ N.Z W by 7 wickets
@ N.Z W by 86 runs
@ N.Z W by 106 runs
@ N.Z W by 10 runs
v PAK W by 31 runs
v PAK W by 18 runs
v PAK L by 3 wickets
v WI W by 73 runs
v PAK W by 9 wickets
v PAK W by 4 wickets
v WIN W by 116 runs

ODI's for the calender year thus far, 26 matches, 21 wins, 4 losses, 1 draw.

That's quite a winning % for a game that can be anyone's on the day. And look at the manner in which the team has won. The margins of victory on average are quite large, and only one comprehensive loss was suffered. At what point did the slipping begin? When was the last time Australia lost only 4 ODI matches in 26 contests?

India are just a draw away from reaching the No.2 test spot (their best since the rankings were started) .
Pakistan will move to No.2 in the ODI rankings with a 4-1 win .
Things looking good for the subcontinental giants .

Users who are viewing this thread