LG ICC Rankings Discussion

sohummisra said:
Why did you start your post with an emphatic, 'No!' and then go on to post exactly what I said? :p

You said India move to No.2 barring a miraculous recovery by Sri Lanka. If Sri Lanka recover miraculously, it means they will draw it which will be India 1-0! If India win 1-0, they move up to 113 but if they win it here, India move up to 115 if they win here at Ahmedabad. If Sri Lanka had miraculously recovered, they still draw it and move to 113 and No.2 by decimal calculations

No, I meant if Sri Lanka recover miraculously that they win and the series is drawn 1-1. You incorrectly assumed that I meant Sri Lanka would draw. My very reference to decimal calculations should have made that pretty clear.

India Now are Offcially the No.2 Test side :

They are only 2 points clear of England and hav 2 important series to follow in the next couple of months !
Exciting times ahead .
Updated rankings on Page 1 of this thread .

The No.2 spot seems to be jinxed these days , SA came here with the unbeaten streak and their unbeaten run ended . SRL were No.2 when they came here and lost .
England went to Pakistan as No.2 and lost !
I hope we do not lose in Pakistan !

If we lose in Pakistan, I am sure we will drop down and may be England might take over us!

Thats because we beat Pakistan 2-1 last time when we toured there. So anything less than that 2-1 and we lose points. Since we are only 2 points ahead of England, we cant afford losing points because of the Pakistan series!

India should always play with 100% committment. We shouldn't worry too much on results. Go there, enjoy the game, work hard and the results will starting coming our way.

Its the results that matter not the points. England were no.2 because they beat South Africa in South Africa, West Indies in West Indies, and the home wins against New Zealand, Zimbabwe, West Indies, and Australia.

If India can beat Pakistan away, and then West Indies away, then they can actually take over as the second best side in the world, and be in a position to challenge Australia.

Congrats to India on becoming the second best Test nation, it was only a matter of time with such a strong team. I wonder how they will handle the pressure of being the hunted.

saisrini80 said:
Thats because we beat Pakistan 2-1 last time when we toured there. So anything less than that 2-1 and we lose points. Since we are only 2 points ahead of England, we cant afford losing points because of the Pakistan series!
I think that was the old system of points calculations. Now they use a system (if I'm not mistaken) wherein you get points for each match and the series result. For example, if you win a 3 test series 3-0, you'll get 4 points. And then there is probably some modifier depending on the point differential between the two teams. Though its very possible that what I'm talking about is the old, old system. :S

I was more or less correct.

http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/faq/test_faq.html

Sohummisra is right, Saisrini is wrong:D

If India win 2-1, they will get more points.

Just use the predictor on icc.com

I don't know what you guys think, but basically a team's performance is based on the form on current moment. These standings are counted for about two years.

In other words, there shouldn't be looked much into it. Sri Lanka was ranked as second ODI and they didn't really play like they were. South Africa, ranked as fifth, are playing against Australia, but still there was not much big difference between them. (till South Africa were dropping catch chances).

Sureshot said:
Sohummisra is right, Saisrini is wrong:D

If India win 2-1, they will get more points.

Just use the predictor on icc.com

Thanks for clarifying!

So now 'form' (victory) is accorded more importance! Thats good IMO!

Well, cricket is one of those sports where you cannot really look into the rankings too much. However, it is the only quantitative measure we can use to compare the teams (unless we use Nixon's ranking system--I'm not sure if he still develops it though :p). The ranking system is still not perfect, but it is much better than it used to be!

Users who are viewing this thread