Linking Players / Teams

The easiest solution is to simply save the name of the creator of whom you prefer... problem solved. It's not a science.

The easiest solution is to simply save the name of the creator of whom you prefer... problem solved. It's not a science.
Perhaps a 'get all' button would be handy, so you can replace all the teams with those posted by a user.

Thing is "best" is going to be different for everyone. Some people prefer different aesthetics to what you prefer... a "get all" option, as Matt suggests, would be a better idea unless you're searching for a Tendulkar then you may as well asphyxiate yourself with a hose.

But thats my point. No one creator has created a team for every default team in the game. Even if you kept it to 3 creators, say Israr for international teams, Munkeymomo for county teams and Ruck for the rest you could still end up with 3 odd versions of certain players who play for multiple teams. Its ok for most game modes, but career mode would look wierd if there were 3 of the best players floating around.

You might be able to sort it out by reassigning one of the versions to each team, but I think it would take a very long time to do that.

The way I see it at the moment, (unless Bigant have something up there sleeve to solve it) is if you want to start career mode straight away you are either going to have to have mostly default players in domestic teams or put up with 3 or 4 of the best players floating around. If you choose the latter and the game picks the best rated players for internationals in career mode you might see the England side looking like this.

Cook
Cook
Cook
Pietersen
Pietersen
Pietersen
Prior
Swann
Swann
Anderson
Anderson

Last edited:
The issue is, as a creator i linked the created kallis to j. Kentucky in the default team. Now automatically i have this kallis in south africa team(current and all time) and kolkata team. Now after that i download the kolkata team from online someone else created and link that to the default kkr team. Now i will end up with two different versions of kallis.

Same for the users who download my southafrica team and someone else's kolkata team.

If a player is linked by a download, perhaps the game could just prompt you, whether to keep the multiples or pick your favourite which would replace the new one, showing you a comparison screen.

A show original button for edits of other people's teams would be nice as well. A few users seem to just take a whole team and make one change and be near the top.

Someone even shared their own PlanetCricket team!

A work around to this problem would be, while linking teams, if "players" are checked a message will be given for every player that might need to be overwritten and ask whether it should overwrite that player or not.

If said yes that new kallis in kkr should overwrite every kallis making my created kallis a free agent...

If no is selected they skip the overwriting and keep the kallis i created/linked first.

This will only work if the names were done properly by creators which often time is not as some people use middle names as part of last name.

A work around to this problem would be, while linking teams, if "players" are checked a message will be given for every player that might need to be overwritten and ask whether it should overwrite that player or not.

If said yes that new kallis in kkr should overwrite every kallis making my created kallis a free agent...

If no is selected they skip the overwriting and keep the kallis i created/linked first.

This will only work if the names were done properly by creators which often time is not as some people use middle names as part of last name.

Yeah that kind of thing would solve it, but like you said, slight name changes would not pick up duplicates.

Yeah that kind of thing would solve it, but like you said, slight name changes would not pick up duplicates.
The log file indicates all the default players are numbered, so if two players are linked to the same unlicensed player it would see them both as links to the same player.

The issue would come when there start to be a lot of unaccounted for players when the default teams get out of date.

But thats my point. No one creator has created a team for every default team in the game.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you think the horse has bolted here when it's firmly ensconced in the stable... the stable currently being in BETA. When the game is released, you'll have a MUCH wider community to draw from and there's a good chance just as many (if not better) talented users creating players...

I think you'll have plenty to select from and it'll just be a case of waiting for people to get their hands on the game, then sifting through hundreds and thousands of Sachin's...

Or the "get best" option will work just fine with a bigger sample size.

Someone even shared their own PlanetCricket team!

Twitters "blue tick" solution would suffice just fine in this scenario. The "original" creation gets the "blue tick" as being the ORIGINAL version (Team/Player) then any edits thereof don't get the blue-tick. "Search by original/blue tick" then becomes a good search function for teams...

The log file indicates all the default players are numbered, so if two players are linked to the same unlicensed player it would see them both as links to the same player.

The issue would come when there start to be a lot of unaccounted for players when the default teams get out of date.

Or if people haven't linked players

----------

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you think the horse has bolted here when it's firmly ensconced in the stable... the stable currently being in BETA. When the game is released, you'll have a MUCH wider community to draw from and there's a good chance just as many (if not better) talented users creating players...

I think you'll have plenty to select from and it'll just be a case of waiting for people to get their hands on the game, then sifting through hundreds and thousands of Sachin's...

Or the "get best" option will work just fine with a bigger sample size.

Twitters "blue tick" solution would suffice just fine in this scenario. The "original" creation gets the "blue tick" as being the ORIGINAL version (Team/Player) then any edits thereof don't get the blue-tick. "Search by original/blue tick" then becomes a good search function for teams...

Your missing my point. If we want to start a career mode straight away with accurate domestic teams without duplicate players then we will have to hope 'get best' option somehow will deal with teams from different creators and not create duplicate players. I'm not sure how they could prevent the duplicate players from happening.

Seriously, do it player by player.

You play aus v eng - link player by layer in those teams and at the same time youre also populating eng,aus domestic and IPL with a single instance of the player that you have chosen.

Then you want to play sa v ind - you do the same, again another whack of domestic players populated by a single instance of the player you have chosen.

Only if you're launching straight into a eng county championship mode will you have an unmanageable amount of linking to do. But actually because you have CA beta in advance you don't have to do it in one big whack.

Get best, or a theoretic get all don't work. Even if Big Ant implemented a solution where get best on a team got you the best rated instance of each player in the roster, which would mean you did keep a single Cook etc. across the game, you're still dealing with the vagaries of rating.

Player by player as you need to play with them, that's the only way.

And always remember not to add the downloaded to a team. Leave him in free agents, do the link, then delete him.

----------

If you want to do a career mode straight away, then do each international team as i suggested, then do the country you want to play in team by team (you'll find lots of players linked already through the international linking you did... Plus IPL if you want to play that in your career...

It's easy enough for big ant to implement keeping a single instance of the player, as i pointed above get best would mean not the best rated team just the best rated instance of each player on the roster, taking account of already linked players and maybe giving you an option to switch or keep...

But how to create an algorithm that ignores the terrible rating consistency of moronic Joe Public, that i don't even want to try and think through.

It's easy enough for big ant to implement keeping a single instance of the player, as i pointed above get best would mean not the best rated team just the best rated instance of each player on the roster, taking account of already linked players and maybe giving you an option to switch or keep...

Ah yes, this would work, I hope your right and this is how get best button works, but I'm pretty sure in ca the button is for get best teams.

Ross, can you confirm if 'get best' button gives you best players individually or best of each team?

Last edited:
Ah yes, this would work, I hope your right and this is how get best button works, but I'm pretty sure in ca the button is for get best teams.

Ross, can you confirm if 'get best' button gives you best players individually or best of each team?

I think at present it might be team... But I think my implementation is better if it takes account of currently downloaded/linked players and allows you to choose to retain or overwrite

Users who are viewing this thread