Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

Busy editing 2 teams, to try out a different (even lower) stat setup, will be using Canada, and Scotland, and do a tour with them. And will be playing on veteran.

Well, what can I say. Had so much fun. Played 2 50 over matches with these 2 teams, just to see how it would be when I start the tour. Will post pics and videos tomorrow, but a quick run down on the matches.....Both on Veteran

Match 1 :

Bowled first. I now play with fields that do not include mid on mid off, just so I dont get those stupid wickets (More on this in the second match though, was very interesting).

Had about 3 wickets from edges, lbw's, clean bowled, but most importantly for me, the AI batted all 50 overs, I was only able to get 8 wickets!!!! 1st time EVER the AI lasted the innings. NO stupid wickets. AI ended with a score around 250/8. Most bouncers were played to open areas, and most found the boundary. I recorded all the wickets I took, and will post them. Even had an edge, caught by the keeper, me jumping up and celebrating, only for the umpire to bring up that right arm of his for the no ball....hahaha (Also in the recordings).

I truly had fun! Yes, quite a few hit and misses, but with that score, I'm okay with them.lol

I went in to bat, and wanted to see how the innings would play out, without using both LT + RT (Since most of us feel that they are a good way of avoiding edges on the off-side). Well, I was useless, AI even got a hattrick off of me, all 3 wickets an edge. I ended with below 150 score, all out, and pretty much every wickets from an edge. THEY WHOOPED ME! hahaha

GAME 2 :

Bowled first again, EXACTLY the same teams, and this was probably the most fun for me. Because in this match, the AI batted incredibly well. No matter what I did. They ended on around 280/1 again batting the full innings. The only wicket I got, was from a spinner, and the batsman cam down the crease to play, and missed the ball.

Many runs came from them playing to the mid on area, ground shots.....Later, I thought I would move a fielder into mid on, and boy was I surprised.....they started playing the shots to the mid off area....Every aerial ball they played, went to open spaces. Fielder cam close to catching, but their legs just couldnt carry them fast enough.

I started batting, and this time, I'm focusing on using almost only LT + RT for shots, to see what the difference will be. Still have to finish batting though, got tired, and switched off. Will continue tomorrow.

I was seriously hooked to these 2 matches, like never before. lol. Batting on veteran with these lowered skills, is no joke. I really have to think about leaving certain balls. blocking others. and try to wait for the bad ones (Which there were. Got a no ball from the AI, and smacked the free hit for a six. lol) Also, in both matches so far, I feel that the fielding is better (No idea why though, since there were no updates, lol). Fielders were being moved around yes, but now they started bowling for the field. At one stage, I saw almost no one on legside, and thought, nice, just need that one ball to smack it.....it never came. They kept tempting me to go for the ball on the off side, and it was exactly those balls that would end in an edge. They had a nice maiden over there. I loved it.

Sorry for the long read. Pics and videos will be up tomorrow, when I have finished the second match.

Great read! I too am enjoying the game: somehow one day games really work!

I forgot to mention , one of the edges in the first match, was caught at 8th slip......lol. That was a new one for me.

Maybe is the time to start systematically changing the stats for career mode teams; or are they affected in a different way?

Well, what can I say. Had so much fun. Played 2 50 over matches with these 2 teams, just to see how it would be when I start the tour. Will post pics and videos tomorrow, but a quick run down on the matches.....Both on Veteran

Match 1 :

Bowled first. I now play with fields that do not include mid on mid off, just so I dont get those stupid wickets (More on this in the second match though, was very interesting).

Had about 3 wickets from edges, lbw's, clean bowled, but most importantly for me, the AI batted all 50 overs, I was only able to get 8 wickets!!!! 1st time EVER the AI lasted the innings. NO stupid wickets. AI ended with a score around 250/8. Most bouncers were played to open areas, and most found the boundary. I recorded all the wickets I took, and will post them. Even had an edge, caught by the keeper, me jumping up and celebrating, only for the umpire to bring up that right arm of his for the no ball....hahaha (Also in the recordings).

I truly had fun! Yes, quite a few hit and misses, but with that score, I'm okay with them.lol

I went in to bat, and wanted to see how the innings would play out, without using both LT + RT (Since most of us feel that they are a good way of avoiding edges on the off-side). Well, I was useless, AI even got a hattrick off of me, all 3 wickets an edge. I ended with below 150 score, all out, and pretty much every wickets from an edge. THEY WHOOPED ME! hahaha

GAME 2 :

Bowled first again, EXACTLY the same teams, and this was probably the most fun for me. Because in this match, the AI batted incredibly well. No matter what I did. They ended on around 280/1 again batting the full innings. The only wicket I got, was from a spinner, and the batsman cam down the crease to play, and missed the ball.

Many runs came from them playing to the mid on area, ground shots.....Later, I thought I would move a fielder into mid on, and boy was I surprised.....they started playing the shots to the mid off area....Every aerial ball they played, went to open spaces. Fielder cam close to catching, but their legs just couldnt carry them fast enough.

I started batting, and this time, I'm focusing on using almost only LT + RT for shots, to see what the difference will be. Still have to finish batting though, got tired, and switched off. Will continue tomorrow.

I was seriously hooked to these 2 matches, like never before. lol. Batting on veteran with these lowered skills, is no joke. I really have to think about leaving certain balls. blocking others. and try to wait for the bad ones (Which there were. Got a no ball from the AI, and smacked the free hit for a six. lol) Also, in both matches so far, I feel that the fielding is better (No idea why though, since there were no updates, lol). Fielders were being moved around yes, but now they started bowling for the field. At one stage, I saw almost no one on legside, and thought, nice, just need that one ball to smack it.....it never came. They kept tempting me to go for the ball on the off side, and it was exactly those balls that would end in an edge. They had a nice maiden over there. I loved it.

Sorry for the long read. Pics and videos will be up tomorrow, when I have finished the second match.

Sounds great. I had the AI just post 513/8 declared in 142.5 overs.

I'm chasing 642 to win, and currently 11/2.

Bloody veteran!

Sounds great. I had the AI just post 513/8 declared in 142.5 overs.

I'm chasing 642 to win, and currently 11/2.

Bloody veteran!

How much did you make in your first innings? Yeah, these blokes don't play around, but I love that it's so difficult.

As far as I know, these changes don't work in career mode. Might be wrong, but I'm sure @cooks1st100 mentioned something like that?

Yeah this is true I'm afraid. We have the ridiculous situation in that changes made to players or team have minimal to zero impact in the career mode. So for example if I decided to replace Leicestershire with a World XI, the World XI would have the skills that were originally assigned to Leicestershire.

Great read! I too am enjoying the game: somehow one day games really work!

For me this is a big issue with DBC. For one day games DBC is really good and now Big Ant have started to look at improving how the AI chases totals I'm sure it will be even better.

But as far as the longer formats are concerned it is pretty poor and playing on veteran highlights the issues even further. Having just bowled around 80 overs, apart from the odd case of ducking a bouncer I have not seen the AI leave a single delivery. It's just swing, swing, swing from the first ball bowled onwards. It feels nothing like test cricket, every edge, bowled and LBW was a result of the AI attempting to launch the ball whether they were on 40 runs or into the first over of their innings. I can't recall having a single edge to a defensive shot since moving up to veteran.

I don't even find veteran level that much more difficult than pro bowling wise, just that they are far more aggressive yet even with this added aggression the increase in run-rates is only slight. The only positive I have found from moving up to veteran is that the AI seem to play spin better.

Users who are viewing this thread