Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

For me this is a big issue with DBC. For one day games DBC is really good and now Big Ant have started to look at improving how the AI chases totals I'm sure it will be even better.

But as far as the longer formats are concerned it is pretty poor and playing on veteran highlights the issues even further. Having just bowled around 80 overs, apart from the odd case of ducking a bouncer I have not seen the AI leave a single delivery. It's just swing, swing, swing from the first ball bowled onwards. It feels nothing like test cricket, every edge, bowled and LBW was a result of the AI attempting to launch the ball whether they were on 40 runs or into the first over of their innings. I can't recall having a single edge to a defensive shot since moving up to veteran.

I don't even find veteran level that much more difficult than pro bowling wise, just that they are far more aggressive yet even with this added aggression the increase in run-rates is only slight. The only positive I have found from moving up to veteran is that the AI seem to play spin better.

i'll tell you how to get a leave on veteran...

bowl an outswinger from wide of the crease, angled in to pitch on off and shaping away to miss the top of off by the width of a flea's pube. the AI will happily leave it by backing away outside leg. i hadn't seen this leave on Pro with the lowered settings, but it's back on veteran.

i do see them leave the ball (including normal leaves), not often enough for tests perhaps but they do. i guess i'm just bowling too wide :)

i'll tell you how to get a leave on veteran...

bowl an outswinger from wide of the crease, angled in to pitch on off and shaping away to miss the top of off by the width of a flea's pube. the AI will happily leave it by backing away outside leg. i hadn't seen this leave on Pro with the lowered settings, but it's back on veteran.

i do see them leave the ball (including normal leaves), not often enough for tests perhaps but they do. i guess i'm just bowling too wide :)

I haven't seen this at all so far although I have seen on many occasions the AI move outside leg to play shots to balls that are either outside off or going straight, especially the dreaded cut to full and straight deliveries.

Do any of you play on legend?
I started a career on legend as a fast bowling all rounder. Didn't alter the stats or anything. And after a few games I didn't have very good stats, averaging around 30 with not many wickets etc. but about 5-6 first class games in I started to get the hang of bowling on legend and it's been the best I've seen the game play.
In bowler friendly conditions it's a fair bit easier and I'm seeing plenty of near misses and a lot of leaves. Still the odd slog through the offside if I only have a short cover. Only had a couple of catches to mid on or off in first class games as well and they are usually off cutters or slower balls.
But this innings alone I've had an edge go to point off a straight drive and another get dropped at second slip and I've bowled about 12 overs. Plus plenty of delivereries beat the outside edge or hit the pad.
If I knew how to make a highlight reel on ps4 I'd show you's haha.
But yeah from what I've gathered most of you play on pro. But I suggest having a crack at legend for a few games anyway. But it is a drag on a flat pitch.
But it would be cool to know what results other get from an extended run on legend.

I have all batsmen at minimum anticipation. Also, the first 7 batsman in the line-up, have been set to aggressive, and the rest on radical. Have yet to continue my second match. Funny thing though, even on aggressive, the AI haven't taken many risky shots. Mostly safe boundary shots.

Do any of you play on legend?
I started a career on legend as a fast bowling all rounder. Didn't alter the stats or anything. And after a few games I didn't have very good stats, averaging around 30 with not many wickets etc. but about 5-6 first class games in I started to get the hang of bowling on legend and it's been the best I've seen the game play.
In bowler friendly conditions it's a fair bit easier and I'm seeing plenty of near misses and a lot of leaves. Still the odd slog through the offside if I only have a short cover. Only had a couple of catches to mid on or off in first class games as well and they are usually off cutters or slower balls.
But this innings alone I've had an edge go to point off a straight drive and another get dropped at second slip and I've bowled about 12 overs. Plus plenty of delivereries beat the outside edge or hit the pad.
If I knew how to make a highlight reel on ps4 I'd show you's haha.
But yeah from what I've gathered most of you play on pro. But I suggest having a crack at legend for a few games anyway. But it is a drag on a flat pitch.
But it would be cool to know what results other get from an extended run on legend.

I think Its Better to wait for patch release on PS4 before making career as Bowler

I think Its Better to wait for patch release on PS4 before making career as Bowler
Lol I'm sure it is
But have you played a career as a bowler on legend? I said its the best I've seen the game play. So in my opinion it's better then it was on lower difficulties.
And there's no rule against starting again once it comes out, eventually. But I'm saying this for people's sake now, to try help improve some peoples experience who would like to play a career as a bowler now.

I have been playing only the career matches so far and last night I thought I would give tour match a try on Veteran. Played Ind vs Aus (AI) on a crumbling pitch. I must say that bowling was fun. Lot of play & misses but no genuine edge though. I bowled quite a few bad balls which were ruthlessly punished and good balls were respected. I did see few instances were the batsman had no clue on some very good deliveries. At the end Aus were 190\5 at the end of 40 odd overs. I will complete this test and will pay another test with reduced skill set.

PS: I was using the default teams and did not change the skill set

maybe, i don't have it max for anyone.

I played a bit last night with anticipation reduced. The most noticeable difference was that the AI appeared to swing the bat less which is a positive, but as far as leaves are concerned I didn't see one until the 44th over and there were only 4 in 90 overs played. I've been playing as England at home for the last few games and the pitches have been soft so maybe the lack of bounce has something to do with it? I remember from playing on pro that they would often leave the ball when bowling with very tall bowlers. Either that or maybe the patches are reason for the difference.

I played for a bit with the settings I posted for a helmet 3 rated batsman but wasn't impressed so I'm back to not worrying at all about team star ratings or helmet ratings and am just adjusting skills based on my observations from playing.

Dave and co, can I just say a big thanks for your work to make the game more enjoyable. I'm someone else who doesn't bother with online play and had got a bit frustrated with career mode.

I've just finished playing the rebel tour (all fixtures) and have had more fun doing that (especially chasing 500+ over the last 2 days of the last test!) than I've had for ages on career. Now downloaded Markkkkkk's teams and just started the Aussies tour of England, Aus 76-2 after 26 overs in the first test, should've been 76-3 but the edge of Smith's defensive prod off Wood bounced *just* in front of gully. I can't even remember the last time I got an edge at all in my career!

Is it possible to get a summary of which teams from the academy have been reskilled using your new attributes? I know you mentioned uploading your latest ones at some point and that others have also done some, but I found it a bit hard to follow the thread and piece together exactly which ones these were. Cheers :)

@ChaoticReality - really glad you've enjoyed playing with these teams, and even more pleased to hear somebody else is enjoying the Rebel Tour!

So far, the only teams i've changed and shared are the Rebel Tour teams, West Indies Current Gen (test Xi only), and England & NZ current gen (i'm afraid i can't remember if that was only test xi or the full rosters). i think @Markkkkk has the international current teams covered better than me.

i've also just recently done the skills/attributes on my England Worst XI and an Australia 80s/90s though i've not shared them yet. generally i'm likely to be doing them team by team as i play certain matches/series/tours, so i'm unlikely to go ahead and just change a load of them in one go.

Top man, cheers. I'd certainly enjoy being able to play some of the other historic tours, so if you can keep us posted when you do the teams, that would be very appreciated :)

Here's a daft question: do you know what happens if I replace a linked team mid-tour? Will the tour carry on with the players/attributes it started with or switch to the new ones?

I looked at your England test team in the academy and couldn't decided if it was reskilled or not, but will go ahead and download it now. Trying to decided if it's worth restarting the Ashes tour (just reached lunch on day 1 of first test) or not.

Users who are viewing this thread