Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

Caveat really is I'm not getting as high a percentage of seam deliveries with both jump and pitch on green as I would on Pro - I think this really affects edges.

I don't notice any difference at all between pro and veteran in regards to the difficulty in getting the needle in the green zone.

Played for a bit last night, 14 overs in and it was 36-4 (2 edges, 2 LBW's) and I thought hang on, something isn't right here. I'd forgotten to increase the level. So restarted and played around 20 overs took one wicket which was an LBW but wasn't feeling it to be honest and switched it off. AI was a bit too aggressive for my liking (top 4 set to conservative as a guide, BF/FF @12) so will try again at some point with slightly lower BF/FF. I have noticed that the AI running seems slightly better and as I'm on the PS it is not patch related.

Think I'm a bit jaded with the game overall, the constant swinging of the bat by the AI gets on my wick and they never leave the ball apart from at a certain point in an innings Usually when a batsman has a few runs under his belt he will inexplicably start leaving everything which generally results in the ball hitting the hanging out bat due to the poor leave animations.

Big Ant really need to look at adding some finesse to the shots in the next edition as opposed to the sloggy animations at present and if they are going to go to the effort of making batsman types then they should bat in a fashion that fits the description.

Think I'm a bit jaded with the game overall, the constant swinging of the bat by the AI gets on my wick and they never leave the ball apart from at a certain point in an innings Usually when a batsman has a few runs under his belt he will inexplicably start leaving everything which generally results in the ball hitting the hanging out bat due to the poor leave animations.

I am of same opinion. The AI needs reworking and more modding potential to keep me playing this game more

Well you'll be pleased to know that all the teams are done but now I need to test them, seems that bowling is op in sim so time to adjust!

If AI do Better running the wicket and start take risk, Also I want AI Play sensible as per the match situtation ,based on required runrate.

For bowling improvement , There should be confidence meter which directly effect the Bowlers Line length , Suppose macgrath is doing Bowling with High Confidence now Peterson start Bashing him ,his confidence goes low , The Bowling Meter should Increase much faster so that Macgrath could not able to Perfect line length bowl . same as Vica versa.

well, all I can say is with these settings pitch conditions seem to make a difference.

as mentioned above I've stepped up to veteran and found it a struggle. bowling on a pristine pitch especially is hard work.

bowling this morning on a green-top which the AI inexplicably chose to bat on, I now have them 93-4 from 23 overs.

wickets (all from fast-medium bowlers) have been:

1) caught long-off (not great, but this guy had been playing aggressively from the get go, so much better than the guy who bats 120 balls conservatively then holes out).
2) caught behind, edging a back-foot cover drive. never seen this before!
3) bowled, inside edge on to legs then stumps.
4) bowled - a magic ball, pitching on middle&off and straightening past the outside edge to take the very top of off stump.

in addition, had an edge that went wide of the slips and didn't quite carry to point.

AI playing sensibly - really quick to put away bad balls (hence pretty quick scoring) but with one exception not getting out doing ridiculous things. encouraging.

Are your teams set up the same as you have for pro Blocker and have you had a bash with this new patch yet?
Yes, exactly the same teams, playing with new patch. I'm happy enough - I definitely notice a difference from pro in terms of my ability to hit the green areas particularly on jump, and this definitely has a negative effect. I'm getting some poor dismissals and less edges, but I'm still getting some edges, I'm still getting some good dismissals, and it still feels pretty good. Gonna persevere to complete my tour.

Been following this for a good few days now and putting some things into practice. Love the game an think it has great potential but I agree with many of you that it lacks certain fundamentals that make playing it incredibly annoying at times.

Anyway, I play on 360 an I've changed the stats of both England and NZ to see if I can get more success when it comes to bowling.

So far, 1 edge through to the keeper from mark Craig, forward defence took the edge from around the wicket swinging it away, well happy with that an the first proper edge I have seen since playing the game. All other dismissals pretty standard, bowled, LBW an 3 C&B which annoyed me slightly, but certainly better than catches at mid on/off, which I'm glad to report I have seen none of!

Noticed one thing as well which really had me annoyed, I bounced Trent boult an he tried to hook me, it went straight through to the keeper but was pretty close to the bat so I decided to review it. The review didn't even do a hotspot or snicko or even look at the ball passing the batsman, just checked if it was a no ball or not. Afterwards I checked the replay an seen that the ball had in fact hit the bat (passed through it) was my last review as well.

Just thought I'd give you all some feedback on my recent stat changes an say that for now it seems a lot better. I'll update after the second innings.

Looking forward to patch 3 for console!

i'm currently over 100 overs in to a bowling innings, AI 380-odd for 6, a lead of over 500, after lunch on penultimate day - praying for a declaration!

all but one poor AI dismissals - hit out to long-off, lbw to inswinger (good one!), edged a cut onto pads and caught keeper, bowled middle stump missing a cut, caught & bowled, chipped to mid-on.

veteran is tough!

Well I made an important discovery last night. As I have repeated many times the amount of aerial shots the AI plays has been an issue that has really taken away any enjoyment from the game for me. After stumbling upon this discovery I bowled 40 odd overs and could count the amount of aerial shots on one hand and it doesn't involve any attributes changes either.

Basically when bowling with the seam bowlers, bowl your stock delivery as close to the 4 metre line as possible. To do this you need to release the ball so that the needle is just touching the green zone but isn't actually in it.

Once I started doing this it felt like test match cricket. As my attribute settings for veteran are really low for batsmen, I had a quick bowl against a team that contained batsmen with a 4 helmet rating with similar results.

This is very encouraging.

@blockerdave

Give these settings a go also mate. Keep the BB/FF and bowling attributes however you have them currently set and just change offside/onside/straight/flat to one increment for all. I will end up increasing these but the game I have just had on veteran has been fantastic and I'm starting to think that having these set low results in finer edges. Had 2 from cut shots which I have never seen before. Proper ones to slip opposed to the usual weird thick ones that go to the keeper.

Last edited:
Basically when bowling with the seam bowlers, bowl your stock delivery as close to the 4 metre line as possible. To do this you need to release the ball so that the needle is just touching the green zone but isn't actually in it.

I hear ya, but having to bowl in such a restricted manner I don't find particularly encouraging really?

I hear ya, but having to bowl in such a restricted manner I don't find particularly encouraging really?

It sounds restricting but it's actually not. I'm just talking about your stock delivery. You can still mix up different lengths and also you will be changing the line, angle and type of delivery.

For example I will bowl 2 seam up deliveries close to the 4m mark, then the next delivery will be an out-swinger pitched a touch shorter with the needle just inside the green zone possibly with some extra pace, so you are still having to think about your bowling.

Give it a go Zim and you'll see what I'm talking about. The 4 metre mark is just a guide when in fact its between 4 and 5 metres but closer to the 4m mark appears more effective than dropping shorter.

Edit: I think this may only apply to hard pitches, having snuck in a quick 30 mins playing on a soft wicket I found that I was having to pitch the ball shorter on the good length to be effective (closer to the 6m mark).

Last edited:
I'm aiming to have a solid set up by the Ashes so can play the whole series.

I'm still surprised at the lack of info regarding skills etc or any chat about edges.

I cant for the life of me find a decent set up that gets 4-5 edges behind the wicket on Veteran!

Decided to take my settings over to the one day format. 2 increments for each batsmen.

New Zealand after 20 overs:

27-8

Not sure whats happened!!

Pro, Hard Pristine Pitch!

Users who are viewing this thread