Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

Mixed bag on veteran.

AI 188-6 off almost 60 overs. It's day 1 of 3 & they dismissed me for just 162.

AI wkts have been:
Caught keeper - bottom edged cut off a medium pacer
Caught Short mid-on - charging the spinner
Caught long off - stupid shot to fast medium
Caught deep mid-on - ditto
Caught long-off - ditto
Caught keeper - genuine edge from off spinner round the wkt trying to work to leg.

The two long off dismissals were terrible - batsmen in 40s off 80/90 balls just gifting their wickets. Very frustrating.

One genuine edge was the number 7 so a less good batsman.

Caveat really is I'm not getting as high a percentage of seam deliveries with both jump and pitch on green as I would on Pro - I think this really affects edges.

I shall persevere with the rest of the tour. As I improve on veteran so I hope to get better results.

Well the tweaks seem to have helped.

Anticipation is back up, i went from a max of 12 FF/BF (only Cook and Williamson got the max) and worked off of that, straight bat one increment less and flat bat the same as FF/BF with on/off adjusted to get 2 or 3 helmets as required.

After losing early wickets, and some time to rain for once, the two bowleds which were completely my fault for pre-meditating a shot in my mind and then not playing the ball on its merit, the only other loss was Lyth who inside edged to the keeper...after that Bell and Root dug in for a while and have now started to open up, a RR of just under 4.

mj4z8z.jpg

Any thoughts on my changes guys?

Mixed bag on veteran.

AI 188-6 off almost 60 overs. It's day 1 of 3 & they dismissed me for just 162.

AI wkts have been:
Caught keeper - bottom edged cut off a medium pacer
Caught Short mid-on - charging the spinner
Caught long off - stupid shot to fast medium
Caught deep mid-on - ditto
Caught long-off - ditto
Caught keeper - genuine edge from off spinner round the wkt trying to work to leg.

The two long off dismissals were terrible - batsmen in 40s off 80/90 balls just gifting their wickets. Very frustrating.

One genuine edge was the number 7 so a less good batsman.

Caveat really is I'm not getting as high a percentage of seam deliveries with both jump and pitch on green as I would on Pro - I think this really affects edges.

I shall persevere with the rest of the tour. As I improve on veteran so I hope to get better results.

Just a thought but it could be that you need a different set of attributes for Veteran (and a different set altogether for Legend). For example if say 4 increments of "seam" attribute is sufficient to create edges on Pro, you may require that attribute to be 6 instead of 4. Same with batting attributes as what works on PRO may not be the right set of attributes for VETERAN. You may need to increase or decrease the setting to hit the goldilocks zone on VETERAN or LEGEND.

Essentially, IMO you will need to play around with attributes for both bowlers and batsmen and re-do the exercise you did on PRO for VETERAN setting. I would be very surprised if the same set of attributes will give you the same result across different difficulty levels. Maybe that's why we need Big Ant to explain the correlation between skills, attributes and gameplay (e.g., edges, aggression etc.) and what the ideal set of attributes might be for each difficulty level.

Batting stats sound good - be interesting to see how AI plays with them.

What you done with bowling?

Just a thought but it could be that you need a different set of attributes for Veteran (and a different set altogether for Legend). For example if say 4 increments of "seam" attribute is sufficient to create edges on Pro, you may require that attribute to be 6 instead of 4. Same with batting attributes as what works on PRO may not be the right set of attributes for VETERAN. You may need to increase or decrease the setting to hit the goldilocks zone on VETERAN or LEGEND.

Essentially, IMO you will need to play around with attributes for both bowlers and batsmen and re-do the exercise you did on PRO for VETERAN setting. I would be very surprised if the same set of attributes will give you the same result across different difficulty levels. Maybe that's why we need Big Ant to explain the correlation between skills, attributes and gameplay (e.g., edges, aggression etc.) and what the ideal set of attributes might be for each difficulty level.
Things seem to show difference for pro but not above that, so waiting for all the patches related to AI gameplay and then would try with these changes on legend...

Agree but one of the reasons I stepped up was feeling it was a bit too easy on Pro, and thinking it might suit veteran better. I think we need a wider sample across difficulties/formats before making a call

In my tour I have 2 days of this 3 day match against a relatively strong provincial side, then I have 3 four-day 'tests' and 2 more 50-over 'ODI' games, so if I complete that on veteran I reckon I'll have a good idea of how these settings stand up on that level.

Played a ODI on PRO dificulty with blocker's teams. It was mixed bag,

pushed mid off/on fielder back and stuck to length bowling with occasional full ones, was able to keep it tight and the batsman play a lot more cautiously than legend. Didnt get much of a edge only 3 in total one went to vacant gully region, one fell short of keeper, the other was the last batsman caught edging a back foot cover shot to keepr, i even celbrated only for the game to resume like it never happened a odd bug i guess.

got wickets at slip and with keeper but mostly of cuts thats more like guiding to their hands than edge.

Got a hattrick with vander vn bijli and had them for 55-6 at 14 overs but then somehow the AI manged to bat till 46 overs. certainly much improved experience than bowling on normal sets.

2015-06-16_00043.jpg
2015-06-16_00040.jpg
2015-06-16_00062.jpg

I just put in funkyyellowpand and done by date and his teams came up

last 4 wickets of AI innings on veteran:

bowled (played on) cutting full ball from fast medium
caught keeper - genuine edge from spinner
caught cover off fast medium
lbw off fast medium

included a 9th wicket stand of over 100, batsmen 9 & 10 who made 70* & 49 respectively. only chance of innings was edge to slip off medium pacer I dropped.

not the greatest start though i'm certain some of it is my poor bowling.

Well, in good old England fashion, from a strong position, we somewhat collapsed, despite a ton from Joe Root, apart from Bell and a breezy 30* with the rabbits from Broad, no one else really contributed.

Three edges to the keeper as you can see, two from spin, one from seam.

For at one time being 213-4 and looking at 350 plus, to only scrape 278, mostly through poor shot choice of my own, means we now need to bowl well.

It felt nice, it felt like a good battle between bat and ball, the edges were still there but it was easier to put the bad balls away than it was in my previous test, so thats progress.

2iitkxt.jpg

Hmmm, doesnt sound good.

Think its just a case of Veteran over Pro or that just in general edges above Pro are likely to be far less frequent?

IMO it's more about finding the right skills & attribute sets for VETERAN than anything else. What works for PRO may not work for other difficulties.

Users who are viewing this thread