Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

I ve been using your teams on veteran Dave and have some really good games, especially one dayers

Yeah I bowled in a couple of one dayers on veteran a while back with adjusted settings and really enjoyed them. It was just on the longer formats where the edges once again disappeared. From what I remember the AI did attack the spinners far better than on pro.

the issue for me is i'm trying to find some settings i can leave as is for all sides and just play whole games,

This has been something I was attempting also. In the small amount of spare time I've had I've found myself going back full circle and scrapping the worry about team and helmet ratings for the time being.
So my batting attributes have been really low just 2/3 for onside/offside etc but with bf/ff set similarly to you. I much prefer the shots the AI play with the game set up this way (far less shots through the air) but the AI just isn't competitive enough and really struggles to score against spin. Maybe I will give these attributes a go on veteran and see how that plays out.

I'll get there one day.........

Yeah I bowled in a couple of one dayers on veteran a while back with adjusted settings and really enjoyed them. It was just on the longer formats where the edges once again disappeared. From what I remember the AI did attack the spinners far better than on pro.

This has been something I was attempting also. In the small amount of spare time I've had I've found myself going back full circle and scrapping the worry about team and helmet ratings for the time being.
So my batting attributes have been really low just 2/3 for onside/offside etc but with bf/ff set similarly to you. I much prefer the shots the AI play with the game set up this way (far less shots through the air) but the AI just isn't competitive enough and really struggles to score against spin. Maybe I will give these attributes a go on veteran and see how that plays out.

I'll get there one day.........

with the exception of spinners in the ODI, i was otherwise very happy with my current set up on Pro - in FC they seemed to handle the spin ok, probably scored quicker if anything!

with the exception of spinners in the ODI, i was otherwise very happy with my current set up on Pro - in FC they seemed to handle the spin ok, probably scored quicker if anything!

As I mentioned the struggle against spin for me is because I've drastically lowered the batting attributes, but my biggest pet hate recently has been the shots going through the air most noticeably the cuts and off-drives. The stupid thing is that if they were playing these shots in the shorter forms it wouldn't bother me but in the longer formats it does.

It's strange that the AI handles spin better in first class games but then so many things are with DBC.

Afternoon all.

Dave, you may be the man that saves this game for me!

I really like the game and think it represents the nuances of this wonderful sport better than any of its predecessors, but ive been struggling to really get into it due to the rather annoying issues you and many others in this thread are only too aware of i.e. lack of edges/tailenders batting like Viv Richards on crack/crazy AI shots e.g. the cut for six off a yorker etc, and, having spent an hour or so reading this entire thread, im going to give these changes a go.

I played an ENG v NZ two test series, as we've just had in real life on default and it was just too much to bear in terms of the annoyances, so im now going to play that series again, on Pro, with your latest ideas a few pages back and see just how much of a noticeable difference i see and whether it finally feels like somewhat realistic test match cricket with proper edges et al.

Feedback to come as and when i have it! :)

Afternoon all.

Dave, you may be the man that saves this game for me!

I really like the game and think it represents the nuances of this wonderful sport better than any of its predecessors, but ive been struggling to really get into it due to the rather annoying issues you and many others in this thread are only too aware of i.e. lack of edges/tailenders batting like Viv Richards on crack/crazy AI shots e.g. the cut for six off a yorker etc, and, having spent an hour or so reading this entire thread, im going to give these changes a go.

I played an ENG v NZ two test series, as we've just had in real life on default and it was just too much to bear in terms of the annoyances, so im now going to play that series again, on Pro, with your latest ideas a few pages back and see just how much of a noticeable difference i see and whether it finally feels like somewhat realistic test match cricket with proper edges et al.

Feedback to come as and when i have it! :)

excellent - hope it works out for you. i reckon you will definitely notice an improvement for the better!

Well, an encouraging start!

NZ won the toss and elected to have a bat on a grassy pitch on a sunny morning at Lords.

They currently sit 47/2 after 15 overs, having cruised to 45 without loss Broad got Guptill to play on and Mark Wood then induced a flying one handed edge catch to Buttler behind the stumps, stop the press...an edge! At last! They actually do exist in this game apparently :D

They are also playing nice shots to bad balls, defending the good stuff, leaving some, playing some shots id never really seen before, run rate of 3.13 i think it was, and all in all it actually "feels" right, so far anyway.

The last game i played on default, of the 10 wickets, eight were bowled and two were caught at mid on...so already, a much improved start, very encouraging indeed, more as i play!

So I've been making all the international teams with up to date squads as of their last test and ODI series and I'll upload when I'm done but that could be in a patch 3 amount of time...

Excellent news markkk looking forward to this.

Well, an encouraging start!

NZ won the toss and elected to have a bat on a grassy pitch on a sunny morning at Lords.

They currently sit 47/2 after 15 overs, having cruised to 45 without loss Broad got Guptill to play on and Mark Wood then induced a flying one handed edge catch to Buttler behind the stumps, stop the press...an edge! At last! They actually do exist in this game apparently :D

They are also playing nice shots to bad balls, defending the good stuff, leaving some, playing some shots id never really seen before, run rate of 3.13 i think it was, and all in all it actually "feels" right, so far anyway.

The last game i played on default, of the 10 wickets, eight were bowled and two were caught at mid on...so already, a much improved start, very encouraging indeed, more as i play!

sounds encouraging!

For both teams and all formats and your first question makes no sense. @Aland

Before I start re skilling players, how many skill 'segments' are maximum? (Are there 15)
Are these skill changes just for limited over games or 5 day matches? And lastly, do I use these skill changes just for my chosen team....or for opponents too? Thanks.

there are 22 segments though I prefer increments as the mot juste.

playing on veteran... yowsers. they really punish you any slightly bad ball - pro was a cakewalk in comparison.

only bowled about 12 overs, no edges yet but some play and misses. will persevere.

Updates...

Williamson perishes trying to drive Broad through mid wicket, again, not an area id seen many catches before, Wood got Taylor with a beauty of a slower ball on middle stump after a few quick ones, McCullum LBW to Stokes, and Watling holing out to mid wicket again in the same over.

Next up i get a beautiful edge to gully, forget to appeal in time, naturally no wicket falls lol, ive NEVER had a catch to gully before...not to worry as Jimmy cleans up Craig for a 10 ball duck, then a crazy dismissal as Southee whos on 12 from 4 balls tries to heave Jimmy to cow corner again, gets an inside edge, the balls loops up in the air and Moeen sprints in from second slip to take the catch like Usain Bolt, despite the fact ive lowered everyones run speed and acceleration to as low as possible, bizarre...100-8 at lunch.

The tail ender curse then struck again as Matt Henry plundered 38 before Trent Boult got plenty too, eventually all out for 213. Really not sure what to make of that...some dismissals ive simply never had before which is good, same old tail ender ponjo, not good, and at 100-8 i thought my word these changes have made bowling too easy...who knows its just one innings, will reserve judgment.

11kfst2.jpg

Now, lets see how i bat...

Updates...

Williamson perishes trying to drive Broad through mid wicket, again, not an area id seen many catches before, Wood got Taylor with a beauty of a slower ball on middle stump after a few quick ones, McCullum LBW to Stokes, and Watling holing out to mid wicket again in the same over.

Next up i get a beautiful edge to gully, forget to appeal in time, naturally no wicket falls lol, ive NEVER had a catch to gully before...not to worry as Jimmy cleans up Craig for a 10 ball duck, then a crazy dismissal as Southee whos on 12 from 4 balls tries to heave Jimmy to cow corner again, gets an inside edge, the balls loops up in the air and Moeen sprints in from second slip to take the catch like Usain Bolt, despite the fact ive lowered everyones run speed and acceleration to as low as possible, bizarre...100-8 at lunch.

The tail ender curse then struck again as Matt Henry plundered 38 before Trent Boult got plenty too, eventually all out for 213. Really not sure what to make of that...some dismissals ive simply never had before which is good, same old tail ender ponjo, not good, and at 100-8 i thought my word these changes have made bowling too easy...who knows its just one innings, will reserve judgment.

11kfst2.jpg

Now, lets see how i bat...

not sure if it's just my look but I've only ever had one annoying lower order stand with these settings, and it was only 8th wicket so not rabbits, and I actually missed several chances in it. just lucky I guess![DOUBLEPOST=1434406883][/DOUBLEPOST]just got my first edge (and wicket) on verteran - bottom edged cut to keeper off the part time medium pace of Bob Woolmer.

makes a change from the top-edged cuts!

Users who are viewing this thread