Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

36-1 in reply with a breezy 29 from Lyth and the bloody game freezes on the end of over pitch map.

Sometimes i wonder why i bother! :facepalm

Edit: last time i saved was 70/4 in the NZ innings.

Sigh...i may try again tomorrow.

Could you confirm the skill level for the doosra please......1 seems rather low.

well, nobody can bowl it without chucking, so they don't get much! I think for my latest updated skilling I haven't given any for doosra.[DOUBLEPOST=1434408338][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would suggest its because the number of offies who can bowl a respectable doosra is incredibly low.
exactly!

Morning Dave.

Couple of questions...

Have you set ALL batsmen to precise/conservative and low anticipation or left as is? Or different for top/middle/lower order?

I didnt change this, may this have affected my test yesterday?

Morning Dave.

Couple of questions...

Have you set ALL batsmen to precise/conservative and low anticipation or left as is? Or different for top/middle/lower order?

I didnt change this, may this have affected my test yesterday?

good question - i think i had done this for at least one team, can't remember which, but i am not sure if my existing set up does include that. if i recall when i did have that it gave excellent results.

my experience is that if you set all players to precise/conservative, you can still get some players playing aggressively by:
increasing flat bat or on/off-side for top/middle order players - they will play aggressively that way. better not to increase straight bat i think that reduces edges.
decreasing skills for lower order players - rubbish players play haphazardly, including big shots.

and generally you should get much much better play. if you get good results with that, you can then try and mix-up with one or two players set to other things just to see how it goes.

Thanks.

Ill go with precise/conservative for all players for now and increase flat bat/on/offside skills for bashers like McCullum/Guptill/Buttler etc.

The first test will begin...again...shortly.

Heres hoping no crashes.

Feedback to come.

Edit: Ive lowered anticipation to the minimum for all but the keepers Buttler and Watling to allow them the skills needed for stumping chances.

Last edited:
Edit: Ive lowered anticipation to the minimum for all but the keepers Buttler and Watling to allow them the skills needed for stumping chances.

You should keep anticipation high, 1/2 increments off maximum for good batsmen and low to minimum for not so good/ the tail. This is because anticipation effects how the AI plays the line and if set low you will notice the batsman move slightly out of the way at times resulting in bowleds.

better not to increase straight bat i think that reduces edges.

I'm pretty certain that this does not effect edges as I have been playing with straight bat set at two increments recently which is a big reduction to what I had it set to previously with no observed difference.

The 3 biggest factors in increasing/decreasing edges are the BF/FF attribute for batsmen, seam for bowlers and the conditions in my opinion.

Played two sessions of a test on veteran last night. Finished up at 173 for 6. 3 Edges, 2 bowleds and 1 LBW. Realised that the BF/FF were set too low (5-7) afterwards but the gameplay was as good as I've seen.

Also had the ball reversing, basically it will still swing in the direction you choose but it is more exaggerated. It just started swinging all of a sudden even with a bowler that had a swing rating of only 2 for each.

Will start another game this week BF/FF set between 6-14, 2 for all other batting attributes, anticipation high, strength minimum for recognised batsmen.

You should keep anticipation high, 1/2 increments off maximum for good batsmen and low to minimum for not so good/ the tail. This is because anticipation effects how the AI plays the line and if set low you will notice the batsman move slightly out of the way at times resulting in bowleds.
Having just been bowled out for 87 i think ill agree with this lol.

Seriously, its not just because of that, im a reasonable batsman usually its just many were edges where the batsman seemed to have a delayed reaction after my input on the control pad (i use a PS4 controller) which i havent seen before.

So, next test will be putting anticipation back up, and BF/FF a little higher for all players, the highest i currently have is 10 for Cook and 9 for Williamson, and its looking like that sort of limit is going to result in just generally too many low scores, so ill up everyone by 3/4 increments to raise it universally across the board for both ENG/NZ, see how that goes.

Certainly seeing plenty of edges now which is great but at the moment its coming at the cost of the batting team just being generally too weak.

Hopefully these latest changes will find a balance between bat and ball.

What we really want is varied games: sometimes a team will get scuttled for 87 and another time score 400...the problem is that the game doesn't deal well with the fluctuations that make cricket so special.., but how do you program pressure and momentum?

i think you're right, this is the one thing i've not quite managed with these settings. i've had minor variation, but not +/- 100-150, more like +/- 30-50

I can't really speak from a human batting point of view as I tend to bowl for both teams but you may find you will have to set up the human controlled team slightly differently to the AI team to suit how good or bad you are at batting. A case of trial and error.

As far as AI batting goes I definitely wouldn't go any higher than 14. Even conservative batsmen are quite aggressive at 14 but I set this off by having the other attributes set really low. 11/ 12 is probably about right for excellent batsmen then just work your way down.

i think you're right, this is the one thing i've not quite managed with these settings. i've had minor variation, but not +/- 100-150, more like +/- 30-50
The confidence mechanics need to be well implemented: bowling out the top order should have a different effect than the tail, nicking a four through the slips is different to a cover drive; both four runs but effects the mindset differently etc.

What we really want is varied games: sometimes a team will get scuttled for 87 and another time score 400...the problem is that the game doesn't deal well with the fluctuations that make cricket so special.., but how do you program pressure and momentum?

I have actually had this happen before but it's been a case of the weather being the factor as opposed to pressure or momentum. The lack of noticeable difference in turn from a day 1 pitch to a day 4/5 pitch doesn't help either.

As for how to recreate it, I'm not sure, one way from the bowling perspective that I've always thought would be a good idea would be to take rhythm into account. Bowling well/ taking wickets would see a bowler bowl quicker and get more from the ball (bounce, swing, turn etc.) and vice versa.

From a fielding point of view when a team is on top they should become sharper and hold on to catches for instance. Although not gameplay related it would be good to hear more chatter if they are on top.

Fluctuating edge probability is another idea which could possibly work.

Users who are viewing this thread