Your Cricket Manee's Season 2008

Second Session

I had my second session today - it was the first Games lesson of the term. We went to different nets which were an absolute deathtrap to bat on. They were fast, bouncy and balls would often leap off a length. I batted first and was not too bad. The lack of pace of the bowlers bowling to me allowed me some time to play my shots. I did back away somewhat, but this is merely because I enjoy the cut shot and back foot off drives more than the pull shot.

I had a bowl and was quite slow to begin with, just working off the soreness of yesterday. However, I worked up a good pace and bowled a good fullish length. The issue is that I bowl outside the off stump, bringing the ball away, which is useless at the low level that I play at. I worked on the inswinger as well as keeping higher in the action (rather than falling away) and swinging the arms over correctly rather than the bowling arm pushing and ending up by my left hip (keeping in mind that I am a left arm bowler) - this should help me attack the stumps more, in an attempt to bowl out any batsman with a hole in his defensive shot.

I have earned a place in the school Second XI for Saturday.

good news then.. all the luck for Saturday's game. :)

btw, if you are really good at making the ball go away from right-handers.. try bowling around the wicket and if possible get that shape going... should be a peach of a delivery in your armory.

I can bowl such a ball actually (not at all lying) but struggle to get it on the stumps. I really want to play a high level soon though, because I feel that I can catch the edge of a better batsman whereas a poor one would play and miss.

Of course, but cross seam seems to cause me to drag it short. Around the wicket with cross seam is an interesting proposition though.

I think Great session for you as it was your Second.
You got your line was perfect.
I think Don't try to bowl Bounce and all on 2nd day..
You will find your rhythm later in the Session.
Keep it up.

I had a match scheduled for today which got cancelled due to rain. However, I have House Cricket on Wednesday (10 overs a side), next update will be then.

I did absolutely diabolically - nuff said. It was only a House match though. I will fully report from that match tomorrow.

First Match of the Season

Okay, had an awful start to the season on Tuesday. It was a 10 over a side House match and we got destroyed. I bowled with no pace or accuracy and was right punished for 17 off my 2 overs. Whilst batting, I did in my shoulder - hence the lack of updates. I missed the game on Saturday due to being forced to go to a wedding and my replacement took five wickets - Joy!

I have a House match on Monday which will be the time of my next update, presuming I don't have as much of a nightmare then.

Biomechanically, I am firmly set in having a jump of 6 1/2 step length with a run up of 16 paces back from where I take off for the jump. Hopefully, this should add pace - especially now I know why it has not worked for me in the past.

Second Match of the Season

I bowled slightly better today in the second House match. I managed to run in slightly faster and the ball was coming out better too. It was also a slow Astroturf surface. I still haven't been able to incorperate the longer jump which I have been working on, but I am getting there. I went for about 20 in my 2 overs and picked up a wicket, which is okay considering it was a 10 over match in which they set us 125.

I batted toward the end and scored 6 runs in singles before getting bowled charging a medium pacers. We lost - falling several runs short.

Charging medium pacers ftw, i was doing that in my cameo 1*, was trying to use some McCullum tactics, batted a stide outside my crease and was walking down. Didn't really work though, the bowler just stuck it down leg-side.

Nice to see the bowling improved, always a nice feeling to get a wicket, even if you do get slogged in the process. Keep working hard at your bowling Manee, i'm sure the hard work you're putting in will pay off.

Thanks...maybe it has already.

Two more updates

On Tuesday, we had after-school nets (indoors due to the rain). I was with the Second XI but against some good batsmen. I bowled with a higher jump due to the lack of a run up and generated good pace from the shoulder. I bowled a couple of sharp short of a length deliveries too. I was working on getting closer to the stumps and I swore that I got a few to shape in. I took about three wickets in the net session, but was just trying to get it in the right area.

On Wednesday (games lesson, indoors again due to the rain), I was called to the First XI net to bowl in the fast bowlers net. It was quite an experience to bowl in nets with three people who all stand at way above 6ft (from about 6ft 3-6ft 6) with me at just 5ft 8. I was a bit sore from yesterday, so the pace was off somewhat and I didn't manage to trouble the batsman. I worked with getting my body shape more equipped to bowling across the right hander. I have been informed throughout my career that I bowl left arm over going in a straight line and so have to push the ball with my fingers across the right hander. Consequently, I bowled too far outside off, but it is better than bowling outside leg - got a few good full deliveries though but was struggling to swing the old ball I was using. I thought the pace was okay, but it was nothing compared to the two 6ft 5 fast bowlers. However, I am confident that I can improve the pace.

I am planning to pay £58.45 for bowling analysis to Ian Pont, hopefully that will improve my bowling somewhat. Although he specifies just one or two deliveries, I am hoping to show the two approaches - the one in which I bowl going in a straight line (which is his favourite principle) but push it across or the one where I am and bowl across the right hander. I will be highly interested to see what he points out, despite bracing the front leg - because all my brother's theories have been about very minor issues whereas Pont likes to concentrate on big things (e.g. Chest Drive), as seen in his book, the Fast Bowler's Bible.

NB: I didn't bat in either of the sessions and am glad that I didn't, due to my injured shoulder. I might have a go in the park to see if I can throw left handed. However, just throwing a ball in the classroom against the wall has given me a sore left elbow - so I'm not too sure.

Great news, Manee. It's good to hear you move into the First XI net, that too with some success!

Users who are viewing this thread