Your Cricket Manee's Season 2008

No Wickets Again

Had my first school game and bowled with returns of 6-0-27-0. I am annoyed that I didn't pick up wickets as I bowled better than others who got more reward. During my first spell, I twisted my ankle in the jump which meant that someone else had to complete my over and that I had to take a bit of a rest...which was annoying.

The lack of wickets is already bugging me - can't I just get a lucky break?!

Don't worry about it mate, if you keep plugging away you'll take wickets. I'm exactly the same, i outbowl most people in my team, but fail to take wickets. I think the extra pace at my level works against me, and it stops me getting wickets as edges fly off the edge, anything off line is easily punishable with the pace on the ball, frustrating but i'll keep plugging away, and you should to. The work you put in will bring rewards soon matey !!

As for the run up, obviously, I can run in faster, but it was a hot day and I was just getting a few shots of my action. It is also hard to build up a fast run up off just a few steps.

mate you asked for advice and im saying that if you want more pace you need more explosion in your action

well bowled and dont worry about wickets, if you bowl good lines you will take wickets ;)

Some Light Relief

Played a House match today and bowled some handy slow medium. Was taking it easy because of my ankle but foxed the batsmen with some swing, ending with 1.4-0-1-4.

I am hoping (optimistically) that my ankle will be better by tomorrow; I have an U16 club game.

Still no bloody wickets in a proper game

Grrr! Had an U16 game and only bowled with five fielders (a few more turned up later). I bowled utter tripe, too far outside off stump (maybe because I only had one man on the leg side) and got spanked for 35 off 4 overs. No point concentrating on the negatives though, my last over was okay and I have a match tomorrow to right all the wrongs of the season.

With the bat, hit a brisk 9* before we lost the last wicket. Nice on drive over mid on got four of the runs.

Some Light Relief

Played a House match today and bowled some handy slow medium. Was taking it easy because of my ankle but foxed the batsmen with some swing, ending with 1.4-0-1-4.

I am hoping (optimistically) that my ankle will be better by tomorrow; I have an U16 club game.

Nice!

Maybe a problem you are facing is pressure of performing in an actual game. Looking at those figures, I can see that you have alot of talent and potential.

Instead of swing, just try pitching the ball in line with middle. Try some cut - mold yourself into the new Irfan.

Try, when your ankle's a bit better, bowling your fastest for 5 balls in the over. On the last ball, bowl a slower ball which can fox a settled batsman easily.

In a bad place

No wickets again today. Bowled good line and lengths, had them edging quite often but again, no wickets. Ended with 4-0-12-0. They made no attempts to score off my accept timing a dug out yorker for two (twice). My pace was not great again, I think I just need to let myself go and just sprint in and try to bowl as fast as possible. The problem is that I lack balance at the crease when I run in and jump quickly - which is likely why I just shoulder it down (like a moron).

Got run out first ball by a batsman trying to get on strike with about 10 balls to go in the innings - that did not help, tbh.

You can't do anything about that. If edges aren't going to hand, well, your just plain unlucky.

You guessed it, no wickets

I had an U16 match yesterday and, as usual, got no wickets. My line was poor and inconsistent, with me drifting too far down the leg side as well as bowling too short. I was rightly punished for a six and a four off my short balls. I had a caught behind chance dropped, which annoyed me as I am still searching for my first wicket this season and a close LBW turned down - which also annoyed me...

Oh well - there is always next week.

Keep plugging away mate and you'll get some luck. Just think positively and the wickets will come, I can tell you're 1 good day away from some form. Just think positively and think that you can get wickets and they'll come. It's not been your day yet this season, but the hard work will pay off. Persistence is the key.

Wow, no luck whatsoever so far. It will level itself out, don't worry. ;)

Keep plugging away mate and you'll get some luck. Just think positively and the wickets will come, I can tell you're 1 good day away from some form. Just think positively and think that you can get wickets and they'll come. It's not been your day yet this season, but the hard work will pay off. Persistence is the key.
Yes, and accuracy. My consistency in line has been poor this season, I need to plug away by pitching the ball on a good length on leg stump (either angling across or straightening).

Ian Pont analysis

I was rather cautious, upon opening my analysis from Ian Pont. However, any doubts I had were dismantled by what was a very comprehensive, concise and focused analysis. It is a five page document and the main points are as follows:
  • I have a safe, solid action
  • I have a weak, ineffective shuffly run up. Too flat footed and must lift up knees and pump arms more.
  • Got to jump, both further and higher
  • Must control elbows more in the action to point to the ground during jump.
  • Must have more relaxed shoulders at delivery.
  • I throw my bowling hand in front of me after backfoot impact whereas it should be by stomach or side.
  • I lift my backfoot off ground before delivery like a spinner whereas I should drag it.
  • I release the ball behind my head, should be slightly infront.
  • Must improve shoulder rotation.

There is probably a few more points which I missed too, but it is a great amount of detail for me to work on and reassures me somewhat that my lack of pace is due to poor technique rather than chronic lack of talent. I recommend this analysis highly for anyone with the money who does not currently have the time for a one-on-one session (damn GCSEs and work experience takes up all my spare time:().

Last edited:
if u r not getting wickets its just hard luck mate it has happended to me so many times just work hard dont get mad. i sucked in my school match today i bowled 5 overs 40 runs

Users who are viewing this thread