Mar 25 - South Africa v New Zealand (Quarter-Final 3)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Geez another choke, SA finally found some spinners and a good attack but now their good on paper batting stuffs it up. Well done NZ didn't really need some Taylor magic to get you home.

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Wow didn't expect to read that when I woke up!! South Africa, I'm sorry but that is just disgraceful. I haven't seen the second innings but with that team you should have absolutely wiped the floor with us. I mean come on Big Jake with the four for?? Good on the Black caps though, wonder how much s**t Donalds getting back home..

We could have a serious chance here, if we face England in the semi and then Pakistan in the final. No way will we beat India or Sri Lanka though..

----------

We have also just made life a lot easier for India, who would not have fancied playing South Africa. Thats if they got through of course..

stefan

International Coach
Feel sorry for all SAF fans who think atleast this time the team wont repeat the choking mistake.

But everytime disappointed.

Anyways, Proteans are a champion team and now with Smith out of captaincy its going to be difficult for Botha!! Great talent but choking is not what they deserve

Botha shouldn't be made captain. How can you get the captaincy if you can't hold your place in the side?? Was out bowled in helpfull conditions by both tahir and peterson. Captain should be amla.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I feel sorry for you, stefan, and for all South African fans tbh. Your team really leads you on. I really thought that South Africa had the best team in the World Cup and they probably do. In fact, they would beat New Zealand 8 times out of 10 but those odds sure come down in crunch situations and cricket isn't all about ability because South Africa certainly aren't lacking in ability. You need that extra bit of mental fortitude and belief and it never seems to be there when it matters for them.

I would assume that this is Kallis' last WC as well :(.

stefan

International Coach
I feel sorry for you, stefan, and for all South African fans tbh. Your team really leads you on. I really thought that South Africa had the best team in the World Cup and they probably do. In fact, they would beat New Zealand 8 times out of 10 but those odds sure come down in crunch situations and cricket isn't all about ability because South Africa certainly aren't lacking in ability. You need that extra bit of mental fortitude and belief and it never seems to be there when it matters for them.

I would assume that this is Kallis' last WC as well :(.

The side lacks bmt. When they know there is another game to come like in a series when are very very good but when they know its do or die knockout games they freeze. 0/5 world cup knock out games tell the story.:(

Can only hope the new coach can install this bmt into the side. Will see who is, lots of rumors flying but the most prominent names are kirsten and fleming.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
None of you guys have mentioned anything about some great NZ bowling. South Africa didn't lose the match entirely because they choked. McCullum and Oram were bowling awesomely out there, and it was due to the New Zealand bowlers putting pressure on the South Africans that they ended up in the position they did. Yes, it was partly a mental thing, but I don't think that was a big part of it. It was a pressure game, and any team would be facing such pressure in the situation the South Africans found themselves in.

That match was a big middle finger to everyone who said that we wouldn't get far at all. No one thought we'd get to the semis, with some people writing us off against Zimbabwe before the WC started.

We won because we played well, not because South Africa choked.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Very true Chewie, it just looked like the Kiwi bowlers and fieldsmen thrived on that pressure and it took them to another level. Just looked like they were there to enjoy it. Guptill set the standard in the field and everyone followed, going by the highlights that is.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
None of you guys have mentioned anything about some great NZ bowling. South Africa didn't lose the match entirely because they choked. McCullum and Oram were bowling awesomely out there, and it was due to the New Zealand bowlers putting pressure on the South Africans that they ended up in the position they did. Yes, it was partly a mental thing, but I don't think that was a big part of it. It was a pressure game, and any team would be facing such pressure in the situation the South Africans found themselves in.

That match was a big middle finger to everyone who said that we wouldn't get far at all. No one thought we'd get to the semis, with some people writing us off against Zimbabwe before the WC started.

We won because we played well, not because South Africa choked.
Hmm. Disagree. You guys won because South Africa choked. And New Zealand fielding was brilliant.

The bowling was average. The same bowlers were knocked around comfortably till SA got 108/2. Nathan McCullum got 3 wickets, are you telling me any of those turned big ? He wasn't turning a thing, just kept it nice and tight. Jacob Oram too, just military medium bowling straight. No great pace or swing or huge skill in terms of variation of pace. What they did well was not bowl bad balls...however, even then SA should've knocked around 4 runs an over without collapsing. New Zealand fielded brilliantly and the bowling was tight. However, if South Africa hadn't made their numerous mistakes they would have done this easily.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
No cricketen way!
I went to bed after our innings thinking the match was more or less gone, but wtf!

Where are all those people who think Oram shouldn't be there now...

Users who are viewing this thread