Match,Tour & Competition Experiences

So another 1 wicket victory. Guyana won, thanks 2 the number 10 and 11 batsmen. McLean gran ripped through the top order with a brilliant spell of opening bowling.
View attachment 132290 View attachment 132291[DOUBLEPOST=1414081140][/DOUBLEPOST]Next up: Group B
Delhi v Multan Tigers
Diana Metropolis v Nashua Cape Cobras
Hampshire v SA Redbacks

Once again a perfect demonstration of the unrealistic batting abilities of tail enders

Once again a perfect demonstration of the unrealistic batting abilities of tail enders
Kind of true, but there was numerous edges that didn't go to hand and there was also 2 dropped catches, an overturned lbw appeal and Mallinga was bowled from a no ball. It can happen every once in a while.

Just finished the second test of my replayed Ashes Series of 2013/2014.

England came out on top by 50 runs in a draining encounter at the Bradman Oval. Batting first, England made 334 all out with Ballance (146) and Broad (76 off 82) the only real contributors with the bat. Siddle claimed a five-for on his return to the side, but it cost him 130 runs in the process.

Australia's batsmen again failed to fire in their first innings as they were bundled out for 240, With Warner making another half century (61). Wickets were shared for England, but Broad again was the pick of the bunch taking 3-49.

England slumped to 99-4 in their second innings before a fine century from PIetersen and a calm, composed 36 from Ben Stokes dragged England to 282 all out. Pietersen went tamely for 104, tapping back a ball to be C&B by Lyon, who took 3-43.

Set 377 to win AUstralia began brilliantly with Phil Hughes making 59 (113) and Warner 62 (166). Michael Clarke weighed in with his biggest contribution of the series, but when he fell to Bresnan for a sublime 95 (142), Australia never recovered. A mini collapse saw them fold to 292-9 before a 34 run last wicket stand gave England a few jitters. Finn took the last wicket, bowled a short ball just outside off stump to Mitchell Johnson whose eyes lit up. He hit it right out of the middle, only for MIchael Carberry to take an awesome one handed catch at backward point to end the innings and give England a 2-0 lead

2nd ODI - Zimbabwe innings (i'll play the Sri Lankan innings tomorrow)

VkaS67w.png

As you can imagine it's pretty tough to recover from 69/5. Was very hard to hit boundaries throughout the innings.

So I continued my provincial championship. Nashua Cape Cobras v Dhaka Metropolis.

The Cobras batted first and only Amla and Kemp could score runs. The Dhaka spinners made life real difficult. There weren't a lot of boundaries. They bowled very well to the field their captain set.
Then when the Dhaka innings started, Steyn and Philander were magnificent and after 10 overs Dhaka was 29/5. Then a huge partnership helped them to get close in the end, only for the last few to fall to a very expensive but wicket taking van Zyl (medium). Yet another close game.
20141027_181536.jpg 20141027_181551.jpg 20141027_181522.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1414432294][/DOUBLEPOST]Tonight I will play the first innings of Hampshire v SA Redbacks. I will be aiming to bat out 50 overs, because I've struggled to do that so far.

(i'll play the Sri Lankan innings tomorrow)

And here it is...

Sri Lanka win by 5 wickets and with 73 balls remaining.

LOtuH3N.png

uwkrjqT.png

A relatively easy run chase. The series is tied at 1-1 with one match to play.

@SpitfiresKent I really find it hard batting out the 50 overs and although I can maintain a good run rate of 5.00 I tend to lose most my wickets against spinners. I have found though that starting an innings slowly does help. My average score in my matches tend to be +-220. When I chase I tend to try and keep up with the required rate as I am scared falling behind and being unable to catch up. Last night for instance I was chasing 248 and was on 100/1 after 17 overs, the spinners came on and I was all out for just over 200. What would you say is the best way to approach an innings? Do you think that playing out spinners calmly? It is the drift that really get me every time.

Well if you're not good at playing the spinners then play low risk cricket against them (play on the leg side) but make sure you go after the ones that are on leg stump. Also there's no shame in practising in the nets you know ;)

@SpitfiresKent I really find it hard batting out the 50 overs and although I can maintain a good run rate of 5.00 I tend to lose most my wickets against spinners. I have found though that starting an innings slowly does help. My average score in my matches tend to be +-220. When I chase I tend to try and keep up with the required rate as I am scared falling behind and being unable to catch up. Last night for instance I was chasing 248 and was on 100/1 after 17 overs, the spinners came on and I was all out for just over 200. What would you say is the best way to approach an innings? Do you think that playing out spinners calmly? It is the drift that really get me every time.

Well if you're not good at playing the spinners then play low risk cricket against them (play on the leg side) but make sure you go after the ones that are on leg stump. Also there's no shame in practising in the nets you know ;)

I had similar problems with spinners early on as they used to run through my batting order with spinners such as Phangiso (SA), Vettori (NZ), Herath & Mendis (SL), Ajmal & Afridi (Pak) taking 7-8 wkts every innings. What I did was play lots of Tests & Odis against teams like Pak & SL, which have good slow bowler. Slowly you will start getting better against them.

Other tip would be to figure out your "go to" shot against spinners and it varies from individual to individual. Some people find it easy sweeping (or reverse sweeping) the spinners, some people find on driving them easier and others prefer to play to the leg (leg glance) against the spinners. The key is to be disciplined and stick to what works for you. For example if working spinners to the leg side works for you, stick to it even if AI leaves off side empty. I fell for it so many times when I wanted to play to the empty off side and realised after sme time it's better to get a single to the leg than get dismissed going for a 4 on the off. Similarly if reverse sweep works for you and AI puts point fielder, block the deliveries and wait for AI to change the field, and never be greedy. It's always better to have 2 safe or "go to" shots against spinners so that you can fall back on the other if one is blocked by AI. In my case I generally rely on leg side glance and on drive with very occasional reverse sweep thrown in.

Last edited:
from my point if fields are in you will surely get atleast 1 flighted delivery in an over loft it straight down the ground defend everything else,

in case the fields are spread and the spinner is more of a short pitch or good length bowler late cut him on backfoot for ones outside off stumpand defend others.

If the bowler is more of a flighty one and field is spread you can go for drives and defend good length ones/

Thanks for the advice. I have just batted through for the first time. Auckland Aces v Mountaineers. Aces scored 312/9. I had plenty of wickets in hand and lost 4 in the final 5 overs, but I attacked in the last 10 and 5 batsmen scored runs. Given that the mountaineers only had 1 spinner, I played him well and he finished with 10 - 1 - 46 - 2. I will post the scorecard later when I am finished with the run chase. It will be a tough chase, especially with one of the lesser sides and with McClennaghan in superb form.

Thanks for the advice. I have just batted through for the first time. Auckland Aces v Mountaineers. Aces scored 312/9. I had plenty of wickets in hand and lost 4 in the final 5 overs, but I attacked in the last 10 and 5 batsmen scored runs. Given that the mountaineers only had 1 spinner, I played him well and he finished with 10 - 1 - 46 - 2. I will post the scorecard later when I am finished with the run chase. It will be a tough chase, especially with one of the lesser sides and with McClennaghan in superb form.
Wow!! Well done that is really a good score...Is this on pro??

Wow!! Well done that is really a good score...Is this on pro??
Yes it is on pro. After 15 overs in the Mountaineers innings it is 110/2. I am chasing my record hard, but there is still a long way to go. I fed the children now, as soon as they go to bed it's me and DBC again. Hopefully the break didn't mess up my timing to bad.

Users who are viewing this thread