Mike Hussey announcement?

Bevan was a great player, but a six hitter he wasnt, 21 sixes in in whole ODI career isnt a lot. His game just wasnt built around power hitting, and he was all the better for it. Doesnt mean he didnt hit some beauties though at times, that match where got that HUGE ton in the Asia game was awesome, the 185*. Some massive hits in that knock.

That innings in 2001/02 NSW v SA at the SCG was a good one, he carved up SA that day- and a bit. I taped it at the time and was just watching it a few weeks ago! Clarke looked SOOO young.

Huh. Bevan's highest score was 108.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't an official ODI.

Three sixes and a strike-rate of 188, impressive.

Wrong, there were no sixers in the innings. Only 7 fours I suppose.

Really? I remember sitting in the Ladies Stand of the SCG when Bevan whacked Justin Ontong for three consecutive sixes into the very stand I was sitting in. That has to be one of the dumbest claims I have ever heard.

Hitting three consequtive sixers off an average off break bowler doesn't make him better than Hussey. Look at the amount sixers Hussey's hit in international cricket in such a short career.

I didn't say it made him better I said it was a stupid claim. Hussey making hundreds against average bowlers and then struggling against good ones doesn't make him better than Bevan. Bevan was still a better batsman in any case.

I didn't say it made him better I said it was a stupid claim. Hussey making hundreds against average bowlers and then struggling against good ones doesn't make him better than Bevan. Bevan was still a better batsman in any case.

Yes that might be the reason why he couldn't even make it to the test side, he struggled against short pitched deliveries big time and on the other hand Hussey is a wonderful puller/hooker of the ball.

Funny, Bevan played 18 tests and still averaged 30 and his short pitched weakness was a myth as proven by 52, 85 and 87 not out against a West Indian attack of Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop and then averaging over 60 for New South Wales in a 15 year career which puts him up with Kippax, Noble, Morris and above Waugh x 2, Miller, McCabe, Simpson, O'Neill etc..

You do not average 57 in first class cricket and score 19,000 runs with a weakness against the short ball.

If that's the case I could even question Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop's ability to be averaging below 25 had they been bowling in test cricket now on the flat pitches and can you say Hussey would have been avereging below 30 had he faced those bowlers during that period. Fair enough, Bevan's FC records were great against quality bowlers but he just wasn't made for test cricket. I even rate Darren Lehmann over Bevan as a test player.

None of that is relevant. Bevan shut out the attack of Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop on a true WACA wicket, bagged himself three fifties during the series and had proven he had no weakness under the short ball. He was ultimately dumped in early 1998 for the tour of India and Blewett kept his spot because he could bowl - he would ultimately be dumped aswell - and Robertson was drafted in as an extra spinner and Bevan never got the chance to redeem himself even though he kept churning out runs at first class level. Langer, Blewett and Ponting would all rotate between 3 and 6 with no room for Bevan, Blewett had his bowling, Ponting was the young prodigy and Langer was once announced by Waugh as the best batsman in the world. Both Waugh twins were assured of their spot as was captain Mark Taylor and then ultimately Elliott is finally given a crack to become full time opener following Tubby's retirement which would then fall to Langer and there is suddenly no room for Bevan. Funny, the great Michael Hussey could never crack the team until injury struck.

Great player, better than Hussey and should have always been given a chance to redeem himself especially when he was in a purple patch when Mark Waugh's spot was vacated.

Huh. Bevan's highest score was 108.

I take it you never saw the match? Crazy finish, Caddick was a right tool and lost the mach single handedly, but Bevan almost hit the 20 runs required in the final over, amazing match. bevan's 185* was absolutely incredible, not just the amount of runs, but the big hitting was rarely seen for Australia, he hit some enormous sixes.

Here's the scorecard from the match

Cricket Archive

I take it you never saw the match? Crazy finish, Caddick was a right tool and lost the mach single handedly, but Bevan almost hit the 20 runs required in the final over, amazing match. bevan's 185* was absolutely incredible, not just the amount of runs, but the big hitting was rarely seen for Australia, he hit some enormous sixes.

Here's the scorecard from the match

Cricket Archive

Why on earth was Mark Waugh captain of the ROW XI? Gotta feel sorry for Bevan in the sense that his highest score wasnt in an official ODI.

MIKE Hussey woke in England one morning last week to text messages informing him that rumours of his impending retirement were all over Melbourne radio, rumours the veteran batsman has since assured friends and family were greatly exaggerated.

''I don't know where it's come from,'' Hussey said of the rumour upon his arrival in Johannesburg for the Champions Trophy, ''because there is no truth in it whatsoever.'' Hussey is ranked the world's No. 6 one-day cricket batsman.

Source

Why on earth was Mark Waugh captain of the ROW XI? Gotta feel sorry for Bevan in the sense that his highest score wasnt in an official ODI.

I know, and not only was it his biggest score, it was a really super knock, not just a slap around domestic ton, the players took it seriously and he was up against a pretty good attack in front of a HUGE crowd. Any Bevan fan just has to see that match, he played like he had never done for australia, a true big hitting innings.

Michael Bevan is a one day god and anyone trying to downplay his feats is a flog and has obviously never seen him play.

Users who are viewing this thread