Mike Hussey announcement?

It'll go down I tell ya, he just hasn't got the flair in him to keep it going. Even Clarke had a strike rate of 89 when he started his career.

Did Hussey or Bevan have flair? Placement is just as effective and Ferguson is one of the best in the business when it comes to placement. He went through the entire OD comp in Australia with a strike rate of 100, so no I don't think it will be going down anytime soon.

Did Hussey or Bevan have flair? Placement is just as effective and Ferguson is one of the best in the business when it comes to placement. He went through the entire OD comp in Australia with a strike rate of 100, so no I don't think it will be going down anytime soon.

Hussey has a lot of flair in his batting but Bevan doesn't. Hussey can change his gears very quickly and also keep getting the odd boundaries in the middle overs. Bevan was terrible in the middle overs, he used to be mostly within 18 off 50 balls or 30 off 75 balls range but when it came to the death overs, he had the ability to get boundaries and tell you what had he started his career now, he would really struggle and get dropped from the side.

Ferguson is a very good 50 over batsman but I don't think his average will be as high as this after he has played 100 matches and also Hussey pwns both Ferguson and Bevan in terms of six hitting.

I'm not going to reply and be stupid like usual, but:

a) Ferguson is about our best ODI batsman after Ponting and Hussey at the death
b) Hussey still has a place in our limited overs side, and Tests if he can regain form this summer
c) Hussey's ODI average is inflated by lots of not outs
d) Ferguson won't be losing his strike rate or whatever was said.
e) Most important. A batsman is not good or bad because of his 6 hitting ability in One Day and Test Cricket. Who cares about Twenty20 anyway?
f) Just a quick note. You can't say "Ferguson is only a good 50 over bat". He hasn't had a chance to play Tests yet, and he hasn't kicked on in First Class cricket yet, averaging mid 30s last time I checked. For a youngster, that's pretty good, especially with the quality of cricket and bowlers in Australian domestic cricket. He will average over 40-45 with the bat in FC at the end of his career. 50 is easily achievable for him too.

IMO, it's out of Clarke, Watson and Ferguson to take over Ponting's number 3 spot in the Test side, and add White into the mix in the One Day team. Hopefully Ferguson will get it in One Dayers, at least.

I've said he's a good 50 over batsman as he hasn't played any test matches yet and also I didn't mention the word 'only' but certainly he is an improved player and his future looks bright. This FC season will prove if he's really good enough to get a place in the side.

Hussey's average is inflated by a lot of not outs just like Bevan alright but his strike rate is about 15% higher than Bevan's and you cannot say six hitting ability is not important in ODI cricket especially for a middle order batsman. Look at Clarke, whenever he goes for a big shot he gets out.

Sometimes in ODI cricket, you get into situations like when you need 45 off 21 balls and you definitely need some big hits to release the pressure which Hussey is still very much capable of doing.

Last edited:
Hussey has a lot of flair in his batting but Bevan doesn't. Hussey can change his gears very quickly and also keep getting the odd boundaries in the middle overs. Bevan was terrible in the middle overs, he used to be mostly within 18 off 50 balls or 30 off 75 balls range but when it came to the death overs, he had the ability to get boundaries and tell you what had he started his career now, he would really struggle and get dropped from the side.

Ferguson is a very good 50 over batsman but I don't think his average will be as high as this after he has played 100 matches and also Hussey pwns both Ferguson and Bevan in terms of six hitting.

Hence why Bevan was best suited at 6, when he came in at 6 more times than not he was scoring at a run a ball. He could find the gap and rotate the strike for the big hitter, that is exactly what you want from a number 6. In the final few overs he would find the boundaries through his placement.

Sometimes in ODI cricket, you get into situations when you need 45 off 21 balls and you definitely need some big hits to release the pressure which Hussey is still very much capable of doing.

Ferguson has done this 5th ODI: Australia v New Zealand at Brisbane, Feb 13, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com And I don't know why you are defending Hussey's ODI position, it was always safe, people wanting him out were just going off his Test performance but his ODI form has always been good even through this slump.

Ferguson has done this 5th ODI: Australia v New Zealand at Brisbane, Feb 13, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com And I don't know why you are defending Hussey's ODI position, it was always safe, people wanting him out were just going off his Test performance but his ODI form has always been good even through this slump.

I had watched that match, he did well with Haddin there. Actually you were the one who said Ferguson had a better strike rate than Hussey :p but it's still early days to compare him with Hussey.

His ODI position is not safe either, when a player is pressurized too much on retiring then he might even end up retiring from all professional cricket. If he retires from ODIs before the 2011 world cup, Australia will definitely miss him as other guys haven't impressed in the middle order (Look at Dave Hussey for example)

I had watched that match, he did well with Haddin there. Actually you were the one who said Ferguson had a better strike rate than Hussey but it's still early days to compare him with Hussey.

Thats cause he does have a better strike rate than Hussey! But that wasn't the point I was making, I was pointing out that he is not the one slowing down our innings.

Thats cause he does have a better strike rate than Hussey! But that wasn't the point I was making, I was pointing out that he is not the one slowing down our innings.

I know I was stupid to make predictions about his future strike rate but looks like he is more suited at the top order (May be at no. 4 will be perfect) as he needs some time to get in and play his shots so the lower you bat him the more you waste him.

He can bat anywhere, lots of people say Hussey should be at 4 as well but we need someone that can rescue the innings and finish the innings when needed. Once Hussey goes, Ferguson is the logical replacement. He has already saved our innings a number of times in his short career, and his strike rate is always near a run a ball no matter where he bats.

I've said he's a good 50 over batsman as he hasn't played any test matches yet and also I didn't mention the word 'only' but certainly he is an improved player and his future looks bright. This FC season will prove if he's really good enough to get a place in the side.

Hussey's average is inflated by a lot of not outs just like Bevan alright but his strike rate is about 15% higher than Bevan's and you cannot say six hitting ability is not important in ODI cricket especially for a middle order batsman. Look at Clarke, whenever he goes for a big shot he gets out.

Sometimes in ODI cricket, you get into situations like when you need 45 off 21 balls and you definitely need some big hits to release the pressure which Hussey is still very much capable of doing.

I phrased that wrongly. Player a isn't better than player b because he can hit sixes. It's handy to have, and Hussey doesn't do it all that regularly TBH. If Ferguson can strike over 100 easily without sixes, it's just as good as with sixes.

IPL the saviour for cricketers ;)

Very true,they are earning tonnes of money in just 40-45 day's cricket...Now this will be coming 3rd edition of IPL, i guess the players contract was for only 3 years, possibly then new bidding, that time they will earn more money

Really? I remember sitting in the Ladies Stand of the SCG when Bevan whacked Justin Ontong for three consecutive sixes into the very stand I was sitting in. That has to be one of the dumbest claims I have ever heard.

Bevan was a great player, but a six hitter he wasnt, 21 sixes in in whole ODI career isnt a lot. His game just wasnt built around power hitting, and he was all the better for it. Doesnt mean he didnt hit some beauties though at times, that match where got that HUGE ton in the Asia game was awesome, the 185*. Some massive hits in that knock.

That innings in 2001/02 NSW v SA at the SCG was a good one, he carved up SA that day- and a bit. I taped it at the time and was just watching it a few weeks ago! Clarke looked SOOO young.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread