Mitch Johnson will pip Wasim Akram and become most successful left-arm bowler - Waqar Younis

yeah overated you heard right the 1st time, what really has he done to be bigged up so much? there were lots of calls for him to be dropped after the 3rd or 4th ashes test as he had done very little in the 1st 3 tests, only in the 5th did he actually contribute, then typical english mentality everyone bigs him up to be the next "all rounder" after 1 good match what about the previous 3-4 where he was useless..

Oh right my bad,
I hate the way certain players are touted as great players or have potential to be the best before they have actually done any thing or been consistent at a high level, if it were not for his batting, is johnson a better bowler than say a malinga or edwards of west indies, all similar action it is just johnson can bat a bit, bowling wise i think he is average, batsmen get themselves out to him not him getting them out,
Dont get me started on broad.....

Mitch is good. Some people just dont like it when a modern player is mentioned is compared favourably to an all time great. Wasim got 414 wickets, that number is great, but many bowlers will get that past that in the future, doesnt mean they are better bowlers. I guess we'll see over time.

Nope... Stats can be misleading. Mitchell may take more wickets than akram with so much cricket these days but he wont be as lethal or deadly as akram.
Mitchel; takes most mof wickets with pace or the balls pushed akross the batsman. Whereas akram used to deceive the batsman with swing. That was real art.

Nope... Stats can be misleading. Mitchell may take more wickets than akram with so much cricket these days but he wont be as lethal or deadly as akram.

Its not to do with the amount of cricket being played, Johnson has a strike rate of 51 which is 3 balls better than Akram at 54 so if they play the same amount of matches Johnson will have more wickets than him. I agree with the rest of what you said though.

Comparing MJ with Akram is like comparing Force India with Ferrari.

Anyone who has seen MJ bowl for his entire career knows his weak areas. Wasim Akram hardly had any weakness. He bowled lethal spells on dead sub continent wickets which I am sure MJ will never do.

scion_sid added 2 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Its not to do with the amount of cricket being played, Johnson has a strike rate of 51 which is 3 balls better than Akram at 54 so if they play the same amount of matches Johnson will have more wickets than him. I agree with the rest of what you said though.

Like sub continent batsman are poor until they prove themselves abroad, MJ will have to prove himself on sub continent wickets. Till now he averages 40 here.

No boy wasim has his own class nobody can match his classancoming to MJ he isa goodbowlerbut hashisown place cant relacewasim akram as the best left armer

It's not as if he's terrible in India.

In 15 ODI matches he has 28 wickets @ 23.60 with a strike rate of 27.7, quite an exceptional record.

Admittedly his test stats aren't exactly amazing.

He was actually our 2nd best bowler in India and some say our best bowler depending on how you viewed Watson's performance. I would say he would go just fine over there though, its not like Johnson uses the pitch or the conditions too much either.

Exactly, if you watched the series you would see that Johnson actually bowled a lot better than his stats show.

And the pitches were flat as, most of the bowlers struggled in that series.

I would love to see Mitchel try and dethrone Wasim from his coveted throne of being the best left arm bowler in cricket. Mitchell has got everything on his side except for age and ability to swing the ball. His pace is right up there with Akram though. If he stays fit and strong, he may take more than 400 test wickets but he needs to add swing to his repertoire, both traditional and reverse.
He is my favorite bowler in test cricket at the moment.

considering wasim played most matches in subcontinent and had a longer lifespan his strike rate of 54 is outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread