Mitch Johnson will pip Wasim Akram and become most successful left-arm bowler - Waqar Younis

He is 28 already, and in Australia, bowlers crossing the 35 mark are pretty rare. Then, as Dare has already mentioned, he has injury problems and all, which will act as some severe hindrances in his path of prolonging his career and taking over Akram as the most successful left arm quick. He could have done it, I guess, if he started his career earlier. But ATM, the chances are pretty bleak.

He might pick up quite a few wickets at a good rate, and may even pick up more Test scalps than Wasim, but there's no way he could possibly be considered a better bowler. The only thing I'd say Johnson has on Wasim is pace, but Wasim made up for that with accuracy, ability to swing it both ways and then was a beast at getting the old ball to reverse. I do rate Johnson as a bowler, but he's not in the same league as Wasim Akram as far as skill level goes.

Basically what KingP said.

Also Wasim and Mitch are very different bowlers. Wasim outfoxed batsman with his tactics and swing, Mitch just kinda throws it up there and hopes for a bad shot.

Mitch could take 1000 wickets and he will still never be as good a bowler as Wasim Akram was.

If he plays for 5 years and can keep up his lucky wickets then he will definitely get close to Wasim record. He took 63 wickets this year, if he kept it up for 5 years then that is 300 wickets and hes about 33 years old so around the normal fast bowling decline age. So time won't be his issue, its how long can he keep up his wicket taking form as once that goes I'm sure he'll be dropped anyway.

Mitch Johnson will pip Wasim Akram and become most successful left-arm bowler - Waqar Younis

391292-mitchell-johnson.jpg

Mitch Johnson will pip Wasim Akram and become most successful left-arm bowler, according to Waqar Younis | Herald Sun

o_rly.jpg

It's interesting to look at great players' careers after only 30 Tests or so. Obviously some of the greats didn't play so many matches per year, but most of them had a ways to go in more ways than one. If Johnson holds steady, he might crack 400 after 90 Tests and with the amount played today, that could happen in 5 years. However, Wasim Akram got better; what if Johnson gets better? Who can say then?

more tests means more chances to get injured too. So there is a chance that he might not make it to the 90 tests. But like you said if he does he has a great chance of getting 400+ wickets.

He might statistically get there but there will never be another Wasim Akram. That guy was pure class. At least you would find any Indian who is`nt an Akram fan to be honest, that guy just mastered the art of swing bowling.

Whether he gets close or not is quite irrelevant, even if he surpasses Wasim Akram he wont be getting his wickets at 23.6 the way Akram did. Johnson's bowling average is more than 4 runs/wicket more than Akram so this really is a pretty stupid statement by Waqar. Johnson currently has a slightly better strike but thats about it...and yeah he probably is a better allrounder but nothing more.

Interesting stat just to put things into perspective:

In order for Johnson to even draw level with Akram, hence end up with 414 wickets after 104 tests he need to take his wickets at 21.48 from here on in - not even Glen McGrath could muster an average of that over his carreer. I doubt Johnson will be able to drop his bowling average by 6 as he gets older.

So no..Johnson will not be the "next" Wasim Akram.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread