Mobile apps discussion

Having tested out the Froyo update of the Android a fair bit, I find it a bit more smooth and a tad bit faster than the previous version (Eclair). To add to that, you have the option to move the apps to your SD card. It also has full flash support, something which wouldn't have any effect on the Wildfire users because we already had it before. Finally, it comes with a couple of more handy pre-installed applications.

PS: Sid, do you have any idea about when is Airtel launching the 3G facility? I'm sick and tired of my current 2G/Edge connection for the slow speed it offers.

Got a chance to play around with the new Nexus S this weekend. It is absolutely delicious. I thought I had my mind set on WinPho7 when my iPhone 3GS dies, but an Android phone has catapulted itself into the discussion. It's a Samsung device and I think it has the newest Android (Gingerbread?).

The Nexus phones are always the latest android software because they're Google branded and supposedly the pure Android experience.

Got a chance to play around with the new Nexus S this weekend. It is absolutely delicious. I thought I had my mind set on WinPho7 when my iPhone 3GS dies, but an Android phone has catapulted itself into the discussion. It's a Samsung device and I think it has the newest Android (Gingerbread?).
Yep. Correct on both counts. Its a Galaxy S with pure, vanilla Android. I have the Galaxy S and suffice to say, its only drawback is the non-vanilla Android. I can imagine the Nexus S feeling...

Got quadrant benchmark of 2400 :D

@Pranav: 3G plans currently are just plain robbery in daylight. I will update you on proposed date of its launch on Airtel tomorrow.

Anyone here knows about Nokia OVI store? I've got Nokia C3 and want to download some apps for it. This is my first nokia phone so I am not having much knowledge about Nokia ovi store. So it is safe to download free apps from Nokia OVI store?

Anyone here knows about Nokia OVI store? I've got Nokia C3 and want to download some apps for it. This is my first nokia phone so I am not having much knowledge about Nokia ovi store. So it is safe to download free apps from Nokia OVI store?
Of course its safe to download apps from the OVI store. Do check the compatibility before downloading.

And did you also get a Nokia Music's coupon for downloading songs? There'll be a scratch card kind of the thing and you'll need to register with that code. If you have got one, get on to music.ovi.com and download your favorite tracks. I simply love this feature of Nokia.

No, I haven't got Nokia's music coupon.

Is it free to open Nokia OVI store from your mobile and download free apps? I am noob at this stuff. :p

Is it free to open Nokia OVI store from your mobile and download free apps?
Yes you can, but you will be charged for data transfer by your service provider (Vodafone, AirTel, etc.). If you have an unlimited GPRS package, then you can download from mobile without any sort of trobule. But I suggest you to download them on your laptop and only then transfer them. Going to the site via the lappie gives a proper idea of the apps and they are well classified too.

Ok, I got it. Cheers Yudi.

Loving Android so far (on my new HTC Aria). It just feels so much better than iOS and it feels like I am having a lot of options now at my disposal. Have started with the 200MB plan, but I am guessing I will soon be pushed upto 2gb/month. Hope AT&T gives some bonus bandwidth occasionally.

Advanced Task Killer really saves battery life substantially. I have set it to kill all apps except for two of them (3G Watchdog and Advanced Task Killer) and it does a great job. Planning to try Shopsavvy this weekend and see how it works. Keep your app recommendations coming (want to know the best apps to use). Will post mine too.

I've been modding my iPhone 3GS. Got a custom theme, 5 column dock and springboards, icons, the whole lot :)

Here are some Symbian S60 V5 apps that i use:

Soundhound: Way better than Shazam. You can even sing the songs to it and it would identify them.

Socially: One of the best symbian apps. It manages your Facebook and twitter account. Once you sync the phone contacts to online contacts it owuld automatically update the Contact Image on phone by fetching it from online account. It also adds a reminder for every birthday of your Facebook friend on your calender(saves a lot of time). Thats not all, whenever someone updates his status id you get a flash sms like notification on your phone. And when one of your friend calls his latest status update is displayed on the top of screen along with his pic.

Pixelpipe: Way better app than the Share Online. First it is free:p, second it doesnt require you to log in with every online account where you wanna upload the pics or videos. Here you just create a pixelpipe account and add any number of online accounts to pixelpipe account.
When you are uploading a pic using share online, pic has to uploaded multiple times due to multiple accounts. Thus increased data cost.
In Pixelpipe, image would be uploaded to pixelpipe account once and from there it would be uploaded to all the other online accounts. Thus it reduces cost significantly.

Nokia Situations: Great app for college/school students. I guess everyone has had his share of bad luck when his phone wasn't silent and rang in class during lecture. This app helps us to avoid those situations. You can define conditions for phone to go silent and then come back to general profile.
These conditions are : Day of the week,time,network,gps,wifi,.
Now my phone automatically goes silent at 9 am and return to general at 5pm during weekdays. It goes offline at 1am so that i wont be disturbed and returns to general at 6 am.:thumbs

Screensnap: As the name suggest, you can take screenshots of your phone's screen using this.

Last edited:
Yep. Correct on both counts. Its a Galaxy S with pure, vanilla Android. I have the Galaxy S and suffice to say, its only drawback is the non-vanilla Android. I can imagine the Nexus S feeling...

The Galaxy S doesn't have a camera flash which was disappointing for a high end device. I know it doesn't matter, but I think a basic flash has become a standard feature now days.

It was the reason I did not buy the Galaxy S.

Anyone has got samsung corby s3653 here? Any game recommended for it?

Users who are viewing this thread