More proof of why Ricky Ponting is easily the greatest batsman of the modern era.

is this Test or ODI

for test
You forgot Brian Charles Lara
Top Test batsman
Runs: 11953
Avg: 52.88
100: 34
50:48

You could probably add Lara seeing as the thread title says "modern era". Using the same search Lara comes up as 11558 runs at 52.53 with 32 100s. So he too is a few runs off Ponting average.

Thought I would see how Mike Hussey stats are like with the same search. 2083 runs at 67.19 with 7 100s. His incredible averages certainly have started to settle down.

Ok his average suggests he's the best but quite possibly I could cook some statistics to prove that someone else is better.
Like who?

He has easily got the highest average on that list and he has done it over a much longer period of time then the majority of the players on that list.

The only batsman that somewhat came near to Ponting was Kallis before he had a terrible tour of England.

I didn't add any batsman who didn't average over 50 or have scored over 3000 Test runs and only players who aren't retired.

These statistics show that the likes of Sangakkara & Mohammad Yousuf aren't as close to Ponting as what many think and that the likes of Younis Khan & Chanderpaul are closer to the best then what many think.

tbh, I'm not pinching this topic anyways, but, Sachin was left out on a lot of matches due to injuries..

I don't want statistics to pour for my post, thank you..

Just saying..

These statistics show that the likes of Sangakkara & Mohammad Yousuf aren't as close to Ponting as what many think and that the likes of Younis Khan & Chanderpaul are closer to the best then what many think.
I think you'll find there is already plenty of respect for Younus and Chanderpaul.

Chanderpaul is especially an example of why a flat career average often tells you little about the value of a very experienced player. At the end of 2001, Shivnarine Chanderpaul had played 49 Tests and scored 2 centuries, avearaging about 40. He was relieved of a chronic foot problem in 2000 and struggled to achieve full fitness until 2002. In 60 Tests since, he has scored 16 centuries and averages in the high 50s.

Tendulkar has done the opposite. A surprising factoid is that he managed to play every India Test between his debut in November 1989 and June 2001 and has only missed 14 out of 164 India Tests in his entire career. Considering that Steve Waugh played 168 out of a possible 189 in the same career length, it is indicative of a career focused on ODI cricket; sure enough, he's played a lot of those. As recently as 2005, Tendulkar averaged 58 in Tests, but in the last 3 years to the day, he has averaged 41.5. Great batsmen aren't over the hill at 32, that is when they are at their peak. Really, the only honest observation you can give is than he has burned out. He is still capable, but the endurance is being severely tested.

Both Tendulkar and Chanderpaul do show however, that a flat career rating is to compare players out of phase. Players never get selected as the best in the world and they surely don't just quit because they aren't sure if they're the best player in the world. There is a lot of slack. If the question is "who delivered the best results for the longest time?" then this is a problem to consider.

Statistically he is. Your comparisons to Sehwag are obviously silly since Ponting has played far more matches than Sehwag and expecting Sehwag to have scored more runs/centuries would be giving him far too much credit.

Mate read my post carefully. The best UNORTHODOX batsman of the century.

while he is a great batsman and his stats are really good I dont see much difference between Ponting, Lara and Tendulkar.
Their stats are really similar and there isn't much to tell them apart.

That means,you people dont agree with Sir Donald Bradman (The Greatest player even in history of Cricket),he said Tendulkar is closest to him,i think Sachin has handelled so much of pressure,no one in history might have been through it,i think personally its Sachin Tendulkar,who has delivered n number of times(people still have some points against him:he is not a match winner) but the Greatest of bolwer (Warne,McGrath)also called him the best.

Says it all,no need of any other proofs,stats dosent says it all,the bolwer who bowls on field and experiences it have said against him,that Sachin is the Best. People dosent call him
That if Cricket is religion Sachin is the God

The same people have called many players as the best in the past. They have also called Dravid, Lara the same thing for example.

But Sir Don said, He finds Sachin very close to him,that means After Sir Don its Sachin
Secondly According to stas which were mentioned earlier ,which says Ponting is better, stats also says he has scored 22 centuries in last 5 years,that also says that he has evolved in past 5 years, that also says what was he doing before those 5 years, what was his avg,that does not mean Ponting is a avg player,he is one of the best, but Sachin is Sachin

Steave Waugh once said, we lost the series/matches to One man: Sachin.

Users who are viewing this thread