More proof of why Ricky Ponting is easily the greatest batsman of the modern era.

Black Magic

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
How can you say Punter's not a legend I doubt you follow Aussie Cricket :mad:

I'll give him the superstar, but to be a legend you need around 1/2 a billion people looking up to you (I know I'm exaggerating :p), which I can't say he has. Gilchrist on the other hand, now he is something special. I'm not saying you shouldn't have Ponting as your hero, just as long as he inspires you...

deerkick

Club Cricketer
I dont know, there's just something special about Gilly. Before him, wicket-keepers were generally a must have in the team but the couldn't bat at all really. Enter Gilchrist, wicketkeeper-batsman. I mean this guy made Aussie more overpowered than they already were. Wicketkeeper averaging more than 45 in tests and scores at a ridiculous SR in ODIs? Yes plz. Because of him, players like Boucher, McCUllum and Dhoni have followed.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
If you say Legends are made by crowds then I got only 3 Letters LOL.

Yeah I agree. It doesn't matter who the crowds like, its what you do on the field and for someone to say Punter isn't a legend I suggest you go and actually watch Australian cricket.

Black Magic

Panel of Selectors
Yeah I agree. It doesn't matter who the crowds like, its what you do on the field and for someone to say Punter isn't a legend I suggest you go and actually watch Australian cricket.

My bad, a bit hard to tell sarcasm on an internet forum, but although I don't understand why a lot of people don't like him then. If he does the do, why are so much people against him. I'm not just talking about Indians :p

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Jealousy plays a bigger role than people will admit to. Because Australia got on top for so long, a lot of people resented them. Obviously some guys did their best to seem arrogant but that's part of being the best, you can talk the talk after such a dominant period.

tassietiger

International Cricketer
He might have had a good side backing him up most games over his career, but when he really wants to get a century, he gets it. This was his bogey country to play in, he came in after the opening stand lasted less than an over, the wicket was dodgy, at the stage he got to the crease one of the umpires seemed dodgy, he faced two bowlers in Sharma and Harbhajan who have tormented him in the past, and he was brilliant. As far as stepping up for big games goes, of batsmen in this era, Ponting is in a class of his own.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Jealousy plays a bigger role than people will admit to. Because Australia got on top for so long, a lot of people resented them. Obviously some guys did their best to seem arrogant but that's part of being the best, you can talk the talk after such a dominant period.
Pretty much. Guys like Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting made the Australian team what it is. Especially Steve Waugh, I mean they called him The Iceman, but outside cricket he's as compassionate as any. Sure, it took more than two players in about 20 years and yes, those players had their weak areas, but overall both player represent the benchmark for their era. I mean Shane Warne can rate Steve Waugh where ever he likes in his 100, but he is unable to refute the fact that Steve Waugh was an absolutely crucial influence in modern cricket.

In more technical terms, this is an example of why you should use multiple arguments to construct a persuasive essay. Don't look for just one reason to make a contentious post, one argument can be defeated by a single decent post. Find a number of great reasons, then make a brilliant and persuasive post.

Writing can be an analogy for cricket at times. Sometimes it's about one good ball, or the one bad ball, but overall, people talk about the combinations, the teams the collections of wickets taken and the collections of runs in a single innings.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
To me, Ricky Ponting easily ranks alongside Warne and McGrath in terms of being modern day Aussie legends and is a true great of the game. To say he isn't is outright jealousy. He's the finest batsman i've seen in my lifetime.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I don't think anyone with an opinion worth it's salt argues that Ponting is not one of the finest batsmen in the game. As a person, though, he's not very likable. It may be jealousy, but I think a lot of it has to do with arrogance.

For example, what player with any sort of humility would claim the victory in Sydney 2007 as a "great achievement" after all the events that transpired over that match? As a batsman there is no doubting his class, but as a person, I think he's as bad as Hayden thinks Harbhajan is.

shubhrayu

International Coach
Punter is not a bad person at all even Kumble would have called a match such as the Sydney Test a great achievement there is no big deal in that and remember Cricket is based on luck too...If you become your country's greatest captain you'll obviously call it a great achievement

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
For example, what player with any sort of humility would claim the victory in Sydney 2007 as a "great achievement" after all the events that transpired over that match? As a batsman there is no doubting his class, but as a person, I think he's as bad as Hayden thinks Harbhajan is.

:rolleyes:

Who wouldn't call it a great achievement is more like it. We took 3 wickets in an over to win it was a historic moment.

Users who are viewing this thread