Most Underated Bowler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it really has to be Vettori, who knows what he could have done with good supporting pace bowlers and a more successful side. Also Drewska's point about Stuart MacGill, completely agreed. He usually tops the wickets in ING cup competitions, averages about 17 in his halted ODI career and generally only gets a test look in when it comes to the Sydney Test. He should have been born an Englishman, they're short of legspinners ;)

I doubt he would have had much of a career if he was English. He can hardly bat, he's not very economical and besides all that, there's got to be a real reason why so few wrist spinners make it to the top level in England.

Shoaib87 said:
Naved-Ul-Hasan:Naved has an economy rate of 5+ in ODIs & his bowling average in tests is 60+ which means that he is crap.Keeping his overall record in mind,I'm unable to understand that how he is underrated.He doesn't deserve any place in the test team & be replaced either with Mohammad Irshad or Mohammad Khalil in tests.

Danish Kaneria:If u calculate this guy's overall average against top 7 test playing nations other than Pakistan(AUS,ENG,SA,IND,NZ,SL &WI),its in high 40s with a strike rate of 80+(Even Afridi's S/R is better than that) & no good bowler(a spinner in particular) can have such stats.He has a fine looking average because of the loads of wickets that he has taken against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe.The thing about his bowling which annoys me the most is that many of the times,he goes for 100+ runs without taking a wicket.He mostly performs when the track has lot of assistance in it for the spinners(usually in the 4th innings of a match). Even an ordinary bowler would perform on such tracks.And in ODIs,we all know that he is utter crap.

Pakistan has only one world class bowler at the moment i.e Shoaib Akhtar & Pakistan always depends on him for the victory.Selection committee should immediately drop the "sifarshees" like Mohammad Sami & Rana Naved & give chance to some of the youngsters who r doing well at domestic level i.e Umar Gul,Abdul Rauf,Mohammad Irshad,Mohammad Khalil &Riaz Afridi.
I don't believe Naved's stats represent how good he really is. I watched him throughout the England series and the Indian ODI series. He works hard for his wickets and has improved immensely in both forms of the game. His new slow ball is quite literally an off spinner, his action is clean as a whistle, and he's very dangerous with the new ball. All the qualities you want in a bowler, really. Plus he barely ever gets injured. I personally rate him higher than the newcomers that you mentioned. And calling him a "sifarshee" is pretty unfair since his place was always under scrutiny until that 4 wicket haul he had in Australia in Akhtar's absence. Ever since then he was our frontline bowler, and did a good job filling Akhtar's spot in ODIs. In tests, he needs a lot of work and he just started showing his true potential against England.

You forgot to mention that Naved's average is 24 in ODIs and just over 18 since that 4 wicket haul that announced his arrival with a strike rate of 22.2 (28.2 career SR). Pretty damn impressive IMO. He averaged 32 in the England series in the two matches he played, which is not too shabby, but he obviously needs a lot of work.

On Kaneria, what the hell are on? The only minnow he has ever played against is Bangladesh. You take all those performances and he still averages 35.6 at the SR of 69.4. He has two 7 wicket hauls against Australia and Sri Lanka. Check your stats dude before you start putting down everybody who isn't Shoaib.

m_vaughan said:
On the other hand...I think Steve Harmison at times is over-rated.
Rubbish! He is the best bowler you guys have. Stats aren't everything.

Chaminda Vaas

Rubbish! He is the best bowler you guys have. Stats aren't everything

Nah Freddie is our best bowler.

Harmison is out of form, he isn't over-rated. In 2004 he destroyed the opposition.

angryangy said:
I doubt he would have had much of a career if he was English. He can hardly bat, he's not very economical and besides all that, there's got to be a real reason why so few wrist spinners make it to the top level in England.

Yes probably. Anyway the comment implied he probably would have lead the spinning attack in most other countries, England was at random. But who knows others things would come into the equation, it's a huge assumption. He does bowl the loose bowl often but not all legbreak bowlers are supremely accurate like Warne, with wrist spinning it's usually a more forgiven thing than to bowl too many bad balls as a finger spinner. Also not everyone has to be have lower-order batting abilities anyway.

Sureshot said:
Harmison is out of form, he isn't over-rated. In 2004 he destroyed the opposition.

He's a hit and miss bowler. At times supurb and other times he goes missing almost. All started against South Africa at the Oval in 2003. 1st innings he was nowhere really, then in the 2nd innings took 4/33 from 19.2 overs. Against the West Indies over here he was nowhere until the last test where he took 6-46 in the 1st innings, he took 8 wickets in the 1st 3 test's. Against the Aussies, 5/44 at Lord's and he did nothing else. It's a question of whether he click's on the day more than anything I think.

The wicket of Clarke on last ball of the day at Edgbaston was as good as a Five-for.

Although not international standard, Jeremy Snape at Leics he's also their new captain.

Sureshot said:
The wicket of Clarke on last ball of the day at Edgbaston was as good as a Five-for.

Although not international standard, Jeremy Snape at Leics he's also their new captain.

Snapey, Gloucestershire Legend! :)

I would say Matthew Hoggard is incredibly underrated.

There are quite a few underrated bowlers playing cricket at the moment:

I think they are as follows (in order):

1. Chaminda Vaas
2. Matthew Hoggard
3. Mohammed Rafique
4. Umar Gul
5. Ramesh Powar (India)

Lakshmipathy Balaji-The smiling Assasin

Selectors r thinking to low of him.Not picked him in the squard.

I also think Clarke is a little underated. People say he doesn't deserve that "all-rounder" privilege but i think he bowls pretty good.

rahulk666 said:
There are quite a few underrated bowlers playing cricket at the moment:

I think they are as follows (in order):

1. Chaminda Vaas
2. Matthew Hoggard
3. Mohammed Rafique
4. Umar Gul
5. Ramesh Powar (India)
Yeah,Umar Gul is definitely underrated.Selectors &Team Management has been prefering that crap Mohammad Sami over this great young prospect again & again,for atleast couple of years now.

Last edited:
Well, Mohammed Sami isn't crap. He has pace, doesn't spray it around alot, gets swing - conventional and reverse, and has a great yorker. For some reason he doesn't get too many wickets, and no one knows why...

ZoraxDoom said:
Well, Mohammed Sami isn't crap. He has pace, doesn't spray it around alot, gets swing - conventional and reverse, and has a great yorker. For some reason he doesn't get too many wickets, and no one knows why...

Then they need to get him out in favour of someone capable of taking wickets. Its not whether you can bowl or not, it's whether you get wickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread