Mubarak and Tharanga

rickyp

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Are these guys the best SL has to offer for the position of opener? they are absoloutly useless. A quality team and country like SL would surely have better than this to offer. Can someone with a bit of SL knowledge let me know whats going on? because imho SL are playing england with 9 people.

Jehan Mubarak
Code:
Batting and fielding averages class 
mat inns no runs hs ave bf sr 100 50 4s 6s ct st
Tests 7 12 1 230 48 20.90 533 43.15 0 0 31 1 10 0
ODIs 20 19 0 315 61 16.57 532 59.21 0 2 35 3 6 0
First-class 75 132 11 3575 169 29.54 3 20 71 0
List A 96 93 7 2357 113 27.40 2 12 41 0
Twenty20 5 5 0 153 74 30.60 114 134.21 0 1 3 0

Upul Tharanga
Code:
Batting and fielding averages class 
mat inns no runs hs ave bf sr 100 50 4s 6s ct st
Tests 5 10 1 440 165 48.88 793 55.48 1 2 62 3 8 0
ODIs 21 20 0 509 105 25.44 738 68.97 2 1 58 0 6 0
First-class 37 64 1 1936 165 30.73 3 10 39 0
List A 43 40 1 1057 105 27.10 1642 64.37 2 4 14 1

They're pretty young and Tharanga has been playing ok. That said I really don't think the solution is to draft Jayasuriya back into the team.

Of these players I find Tharanga the better opener. And he is pretty young. Just 21 years old. He needs some exposure of world class bowlers, before he can develop into a better player. I watched him play against India and he didn't play bad for me back then.

Mubarak is more a middle order batsman.

barmyarmy said:
They're pretty young and Tharanga has been playing ok. That said I really don't think the solution is to draft Jayasuriya back into the team.

The worst thing they could possibly do.

Fact is Jayasuriya isn't a long term option nor an option for beyond the WC.

They either have to stick with these two, or find someone to replace Mubarak.

Jayasuriya might not do no better vs Hoggy who is one of the best bowlers to Lefties in world cricket,

Tharanga has made international scores, and looks alright second time around.

Anyone know what happened to Dilhara Lokkuhitege?

Tharanga will go just fine in the Test arena. In the ODI one he'll need a quick scoring partner as he isn't comfortable scoring quickly. Hes more the anchor type opener. Mubarak definitely shouldn't open with him in the ODI. Hasn't gone too well in this test match and there backup opener Vandort got 2 ducks against England A. I think they need to look further out as these two aren't the option.

Tharanga has talent. He is still only young.

Mubarak is useless though, I agree.

Now that wasn't very nice, saying that Mubarak is Useless, why don't we say that he just needs more practise, a lot of practise. :p

Maybe useless is a bit harsh. What people really mean is that he isn't up to international standard. It doesn't matter how much practice he has he will most likely never be up to it. Sri Lanka should realise this now and give someone else an opportunity.

Fair enough point. Holding said he had been working on a problem for 3 odd years and after all that time hes still been having problems. Its playing the ball straight rather then to the covers. (how he got bowled).

Jaysuria should help things.

Jayasuriya would be alright for now as Upul is still finding his feet. Once he gets more games Jayasuriya should be able to retire knowing he has at least helped Upul out. Then the find for the 2nd opener is back on again.

aussie1st said:
Tharanga will go just fine in the Test arena. In the ODI one he'll need a quick scoring partner as he isn't comfortable scoring quickly. Hes more the anchor type opener. Mubarak definitely shouldn't open with him in the ODI. Hasn't gone too well in this test match and there backup opener Vandort got 2 ducks against England A. I think they need to look further out as these two aren't the option.
I would disagree with you on Tharanga. Tharanga is more of a dasher whereas Mubarak and VanDort are grafters. I remember vandort's 120 ball 48 against Australia in an ODI where they were chasing around 320. Tharanga would do well if he opens with some one like Atapattu. But given this line up, I would rather have Sangakkara opening with Tharanga and may be having a decent middle order batsman or even a bowler who can bat a bit like Malinga Bandara in the squad.

And hey, they already have a better opener than Mubarak or vanDort in Avishka Gunawardene. Why dont they draft him in?

If hes a dasher then Mark Richardson must also be a dasher! Upul has a SR of 68.97 in ODIs not exactly what I would call a dasher. He may have been a dasher in grade cricket but in ODIs he has been painfully slow. During the VB series this was very evident.

Users who are viewing this thread