My Batting Advice

So I am guessing that if you play well in one match, no matter what format follows next the AI would prefer that you under perform. Or at least that's what it feels like.

Interesting. I had just thought maybe I was going a bit mad... it's good to hear someone else with a similar experience. I've not scored over 80 odd so I can't speak to anything over 100 but I have noticed in T20's where I tend to knuckle down and try to get a decent score more often than not, it's certainly harder to get over 50 back-to-back and the AI feels like it's cheating, where you'd normally punch an easy two to fine leg, all of a sudden the ball drags a little and there's only a single there... little things like that, guess you'd maybe call it "fatigue" if you'd label it anything...

Interesting.

I've played cover drives, but I don't recall ever having seen the bowler move more than a metre off the pitch to stop a ball. If I'm honest I have never really seen any fielder do anything "super human" apart from a couple of diving catches that I have seen in real life.

Interesting. @ethybubs You on XBOX or PS3 out of interest? I posted the YouTube clip of the "Flash" in the field, that I get pretty regularly. Have you seen the "banana-ball" catches in the outfield, where the ball arcs towards the fielder? Because I get that pretty regularly too.

Most matches I play, the fast bowler will field everything off his own delivery, that includes all drives down the ground in his "arc" (often before it reaches Mid On/Off) and I've had at least twice a fast bowler dive to stop a cover drive...

When I'm "caught and bowled" it's usually millimeters off the ground or the bowlers hands will go through the pitch (ie, "underneath" it) to "catch" the ball. I've basically removed the straight drive from my skillset and will push to cover now, risking edges to the keeper. If I play straight, it's always in the air over mid on/off or the bowler and I hope it's high-enough to avoid them.

Most runs I score are through cover or pulls/leg glances to mid wicket, square leg or fine leg. In T20's I hit all around the wicket and generally don't give a shit if I get out since I can seem to hit about 20 runs off 5 or 6 deliveries and that gives me a decent enough amount of XP to be happy.

In short; I aint makin' this shit up. I'm genuinely intrigued that you're not experiencing any of this stuff in the game, as pretty much everyone is?

Last edited:
Bowler diving and stopping is a severe issue. As are impossible diving catches off hard drives to mid on, mid off or covers.

Batting is frustratingly hard, as it is, but due to the issues above, makes it even more difficult.

I definitely prefer spinners and medium pacers as I tend to play off the front foot and straight (on or off side) and simply cannot adjust to the pace bowlers who tend to bowl quick yorkers and get me bowled early on.

After another series of low scores in my career player, I made 28 off 19 balls in a T20 game.

Driving off the front foot seems risky to balls that are looped up by the spinners as they tend to take the edge to keeper. Saying that, keeper catches too many edges off spinners - it's really hard to understand how thick edges can be caught like this so easily.

I've changed the cam to near batsman camera with transparent batsman and seem to pick up length slightly better now.

You on XBOX or PS3 out of interest?
PS3
I posted the YouTube clip of the "Flash" in the field, that I get pretty regularly
I've never seen anything remotely like that
Have you seen the "banana-ball" catches in the outfield, where the ball arcs towards the fielder?
I think I have seen it on a very small scale a couple of times.
Most matches I play, the fast bowler will field everything off his own delivery, that includes all drives down the ground in his "arc" (often before it reaches Mid On/Off) and I've had at least twice a fast bowler dive to stop a cover drive...
The bowler is quick enough to stop anything dead straight but I've never seen him move to mid on/off.
When I'm "caught and bowled" it's usually millimeters off the ground or the bowlers hands will go through the pitch (ie, "underneath" it) to "catch" the ball.
I've had quite a few "caught and bowleds" but I've not had any that have made him put his fingers through the ground (and I use the slow-mo replay a lot.)
I'm genuinely intrigued that you're not experiencing any of this stuff in the game, as pretty much everyone is?
In my experience the fielders are definitely not flawless but I've had very little issue with it, sort of like all the players are as good as the best few fielders in the word.

I've never seen anything remotely like that

Are you sure that you arent exaggerating for effect now?

Its so common I cant believe you havent seen it.

Not only do they run at unrealistic speed, often they simply teleport where they need to be to take the unlikely catch.

The bowler is quick enough to stop anything dead straight but I've never seen him move to mid on/off.

Seriously? Wow. We must be playing a different game then, haha. It happens in most 4 day games against spinners I would say. They seem to move lightening-fast to the off-side to stop anything straight. It's basically that "gliding" effect you can see in that YouTube clip. Often in the outfield it happens with Mid On/Off running back to take a catch... that sort of thing. Start replaying your dismissals I would say, especially catches... because I guarantee you that you're getting out by the AI cheating more than you realize.

I had a game tonight where the bowler was the only fielder running to get the ball on the offside, he ran all the way to the boundary to stop the ball, diving over the rope and it went for four.

Cover just stood there watching.

Are you sure that you arent exaggerating for effect now?

Its so common I cant believe you havent seen it.

Not only do they run at unrealistic speed, often they simply teleport where they need to be to take the unlikely catch.

All the fielders run at the same speed for may, which is probably a bit faster than real life but nothing like that video.

Sure, we're all wrong and you're right. Perhaps you got patch#2 before it even came out. LOL :p

I never said you're wrong, only that I have not experienced any bugs to this extent.

I want your copy of the game, does it have a debug mode? ;)

I never said you're wrong, only that I have not experienced any bugs to this extent.
Not played as much as some of you have, but this is very, very frequent issue. It's hard to play a decent straight shot on the ground and there is always a chance of getting C & B... even though I am yet to cross my first season, I've noticed this problem several times. Many others have as well... so I start playing cover drives or on drives instead.

Also got to say that the fielders run from a huge distance and catch the ball easily like taking dollies. Not realistic and definitely takes some strategic hitting out of the game.

even though I am yet to cross my first season, I've noticed this problem several times

The fielding stuff is certainly more prevalent in career mode early on, but that's because you don't have the skill points high-enough to time the ball every shot. Best advice is to play into gaps and pick the REALLY large ones to hit into. It's going to be difficult because you won't be able to turn over the strike all that much each over. Forget about cutting the ball for about two seasons, because you'll get caught out every time. Stick to pulls and cover drives. Foot movement should always be dead-straight. Don't worry about getting fancy with that early on, at least for the first two seasons. Use the 4 day matches to try different things timing-wise and add one or two shots into your game. With time, your skill points will increase and you'll be able to hit around the wicket, but C&B's will always be there to hunt you down, so get used to them.

The frustrating thing will be in Season 5 or 6 to still be getting caught-and-bowled off fully-fledged perfectly timed shots down the ground. That's where most of us are at now, because we're past the skill-stat battle and into the overpowered fielding issues becoming more regular features...

Here is another AI cheating during career batting (I think someone else also pointed it out). If you refuse to give up you wicket once the AI patience has ran out with you, especially after you have made a century, your AI partners would start to give up their wickets. So, in the end you wont be able to get much score after your 100 & would also be responsible for you teams loss.

Also, there is a strong bias in the game when it comes to MOTM. I made a century of 70 balls & the awarded MOTM to someone who had an average balling performance.

I think Skynet is running the entire game, & sends in a Terminator clause in the system to ruin our performance :mad

I usually have no issues agressive shotting straight over the bowler, it is always aired.. that's the only time I'll play a dead straight shot.

In my fielder skills testing I'll be doing this weekend I'll heavily investigate what effect the fielding skills have on the bowler.. I'll keep hitting it straight and see what, if any, difference it makes.

Last night while playing the game, I just had an epiphany which has now helped me play the game much better.

Here's what helped me and might help you too: don't touch the sticks before the ball is bowled but just hover the thumbs above the sticks.

As the ball approaches, just instinctively react to the shot by then moving the sticks and applying any modifier (shoulder buttons). First flick the left stick to position batter And almost immediately the right one to where ball should go.

With this approach, I am playing really well on Pro whereas before I was really struggling. Now my shot graph looks sweet with shots all around the ground....

Users who are viewing this thread