My Batting Advice

I just can't get the leg glance to work properly at all. I've tried playing it later and later. At this point if I play it any later I'm missing it completely. Every time I play one its a 50/50 chance of going in the air, its ridiculous. regular shots going into the air for no reason (yes I am playing it late) is one of my biggest problems atm.

I just can't get the leg glance to work properly at all. I've tried playing it later and later. At this point if I play it any later I'm missing it completely. Every time I play one its a 50/50 chance of going in the air, its ridiculous. regular shots going into the air for no reason (yes I am playing it late) is one of my biggest problems atm.

What i learned playing that shot is that you have to play it late, as late as possible

Another Question for everyone

I have 2 careers going, alrounders both

but what i noticed is that batting seems much easier with the player you created in DB Academy that the player you create in Career mode

Comes to another point, why play with DB Academy player as it seems to be to easy as most if not everyone will have boosted all his batting and bowling stats

I can't understand how people are not seeing fielders. Press the left trigger and check the field. For the difficult to see positions where the fielder is in the boundry, there is actually writing indicating long on, long off, etc.

The list posted is excellent. Read it and practice. I'm not doing very well either but frankly I'm getting better and that sense of satisfaction is way better than blasting 4 sixes an over on amateur mode.

The game does have bugs... Stumping , returning to the crease, etc but overall the batting experience very closely resembles the patience and mental strength required in the real game.

Kudos big ant

found out glancing it to third man is a pretty reliable shot. you can do it off the front foot when it's on anything offside of middle.

now, I'm not going to suggest anyone does this FC matches, as I have missed it and got bowled, but it's handy for limited over stuff when blocking an over out isn't an option and fielders are patrolling everywhere else.

What i learned playing that shot is that you have to play it late, as late as possible

but what i noticed is that batting seems much easier with the player you created in DB Academy that the player you create in Career mode

Comes to another point, why play with DB Academy player as it seems to be to easy as most if not everyone will have boosted all his batting and bowling stats

Even if u boost ur batting and bowling stats and make him a 5 star player in the DB Academy u will start as a 1 star player and with minimal skills in career mode.

When you look at the skills of the caree layer, are the skills already pre-filled in case you selected a player created in DB Academy? I created my player while setting up career mode and my player had 0 skills, but if this is not the case with a DB Academy created player, it defeats the purpose of career mode.

Do confirm if there's a difference in skill levels for DB Academy created and career mode created players coz I always thought you will start with 0 skills in both cases.

found out glancing it to third man is a pretty reliable shot. you can do it off the front foot when it's on anything offside of middle.

now, I'm not going to suggest anyone does this FC matches, as I have missed it and got bowled, but it's handy for limited over stuff when blocking an over out isn't an option and fielders are patrolling everywhere else.

I tried that shot but have to add it's a very risky option. You tend to play on and get 'Bad Luck Mate' achievement quite a lot. Any change in pace by the pacers results in either edging the ball on to stumps or to wkt keeper. Plus if t's a yorker or a fullish delivery, the odds of being dismissed increase even more.

I think you are going to love me :yes I finally figured out how to keep the ball down and it actually makes a lot of cricketing sense once you start thinking about it. Overall, it is definitely good news but it also come with the realisation that if you previously thought you had little time to make decisions... well, hello! You now have less :facepalm

One of my favourite players of all time is Jonty Rhodes. I just loved every aspect of his game; his brilliance in the field, his incredible running between the wickets and his absolutely never-say-die attitude. Over his career, he went through some bad patches where he kept on getting out for cheap runs. What I clearly remember is that his big problem during those times was always one thing... playing on the move. That off-course stemmed from him being quite hyper and always looking for quick singles, so rather than "patiently" setting himself before playing a shot he just about already started running down the wicket, even before he hit the ball. That often resulted in him playing on the move and being off-balance, and thus more easily ending up playing the ball in the air.

So, how does Jonty Rhodes predicament turn into our solution for playing the ball on the ground in Don Badman Cricket 2014... :D Well easily; he got me thinking that we also first need to set our batsman before playing the shot, so that he is not on the move. So, as soon as humanly possible after the bowler has released the ball, choose your foot placement with the left analogue stick and thereby set your batsmen for the shot. Wait then for the ball to come into the hit zone so that you can time it properly. If your foot placement is completely wrong for the shot you are playing, or your timing is out, you will still play the ball in the air. But, I can guarantee that you will immediately see a vast improvement once you employ this approach of first setting your batsman by choosing his foot placement early. As you can see, with fast bowlers you are now going to have even have less time but, especially with spin bowlers, it has immediately made a world of difference for me.

I have now developed a new appreciation for this game and what Big Ant Studios has achieved with their batting mechanism. I trust that this, which has been a real revelation for me, will also make a world of difference for you when you play this awesome game.

Last edited:
When you look at the skills of the caree layer, are the skills already pre-filled in case you selected a player created in DB Academy? I created my player while setting up career mode and my player had 0 skills, but if this is not the case with a DB Academy created player, it defeats the purpose of career mode.

Do confirm if there's a difference in skill levels for DB Academy created and career mode created players coz I always thought you will start with 0 skills in both cases.

I tried that shot but have to add it's a very risky option. You tend to play on and get 'Bad Luck Mate' achievement quite a lot. Any change in pace by the pacers results in either edging the ball on to stumps or to wkt keeper. Plus if t's a yorker or a fullish delivery, the odds of being dismissed increase even more.

I think it's an option only if the AI sets a bugger of a field (close mid-on, close mid-off and the leg side packed) and bowls far enough on the off-side that you can't pull out the leg glance or pull. But, as mentioned above it is easy to play-on or get caught behind if you play it too fine.

Had a 77 last night (2nd season) and working towards the ton. Still getting out cheaply now and then but everytime I do I know why. Still running people out as it only takes a moment of not concentrating and you're gone.

To add to my previous guide post, I think it's worth saying that if you start to run and don't cancel immediately then don't cancel at all. I have had plenty of times when i could have not cancelled and just run out the AI batsman (or at least sprint and try to make the run).

Looking forward to my dude skilling up. Just started season 3 and it's slow progress. Has anyone got towards the end of career and has a skilled up player?

I think it's an option only if the AI sets a bugger of a field (close mid-on, close mid-off and the leg side packed) and bowls far enough on the off-side that you can't pull out the leg glance or pull. But, as mentioned above it is easy to play-on or get caught behind if you play it too fine.

Had a 77 last night (2nd season) and working towards the ton. Still getting out cheaply now and then but everytime I do I know why. Still running people out as it only takes a moment of not concentrating and you're gone.

To add to my previous guide post, I think it's worth saying that if you start to run and don't cancel immediately then don't cancel at all. I have had plenty of times when i could have not cancelled and just run out the AI batsman (or at least sprint and try to make the run).

Looking forward to my dude skilling up. Just started season 3 and it's slow progress. Has anyone got towards the end of career and has a skilled up player?

im 21yrs old now, so ive had plenty of seasons and i can confirm the pendulum swings in our favour and its such a rewarding experience. im scoring runs every night. last night i must have scored 500runs @ an average of 50+. my career averages in all forms is about 20. but this season its 50+ for pjama cricket and 37 wearing the whites. i am still only with NSW, but will be playing for the UK teams when that season begins

my avg of 20 in all forms indicates im not the best at this game. ive had good and bad seasons, but only in the last year have i posted 1st class figures consistently - this is 100% purely down to my skills improving. i am a front foot zenith, with approx 70% filled, and straight bat and onside my next strengths sitting at about 50%

this game captures learning/progression/committment/training/execution like no other. its like an old tiger Woods game back on PS2 where your golfer couldnt hit it 200yds, but when maxed you hit 350yds. But DB13 is better. its cricket, it takes more concentration, more committment and you still get the ups n downs. your form will ebb n flow, but your class is perpetuatly going up, you set new standards. you start with 20 is a good knock. im now with 40 is a good knock. i suspect when im 25 a century will be a good knock, and so on and so on. then you make international debut and the difficulty re-alligns, and you set new standards again. incredible video game

Check out this post from one of the devs on my question re aggressive ground shots:

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/don-bradman-cricket-14-forum/patch-2-must-fixes-89366-36.html

I'm going to give it a go tonight ie. using the aggressive ground shot more. I love leg side shots (Mark Waugh was awesome at it) and have been using it quite a lot, but yes you're correct...you will sky it.

So, as soon as humanly possible after the bowler has released the ball, choose your foot placement with the left analogue stick and thereby set your batsmen for the shot.

This was mentioned by the BA team during the CA Nets that someone mentioned shot playing was easier with a pre-set foot placement before the shot stick was being moved.. never really tested it but do keep thinking about it. Will trial it tonight.

ISpider, GREAT POST. Can't mention enough to people how timing it late = on the ground almost guaranteed!

Some good advice here. My sequence is indeed; front foot back foot? Defend leave attack? Direction?

By playing the ball very late it is absolutely possible to play each and every ball on merit. Yes you get out. Thats cricket; you make mistakes and the ball you thought you could play turns out to be the one with your name on it.

Are you sure that you arent exaggerating for effect now?

Its so common I cant believe you havent seen it.

Not only do they run at unrealistic speed, often they simply teleport where they need to be to take the unlikely catch.

I've been playing 15 hours a day for 3 days now on the PS3 (I'm between jobs). I haven't seen any of the things you describe.

I've had my share of frustrations (guys getting run out after being sent back because they decided sliding the bat was for other people in particular, and my batsman bowling his _extremely_ part-time leg spin at the death in a 50 over match) but I'm not unhappy with the quality of the fielding.

I've _just_ seen a catch dropped in the gully (I was at the non-strikers end). I've had 3 or 4 caught and bowled opportunities that I've offered up dropped.

I've never seen a pace bowler field anything off his own bowling that struck me as super human.

I had one particularly memorable match against a team where the two guys who regularly were at silly mid-off and silly mid-on apparently hated each other, because they seemed to take turns throwing the ball directly at each other when doing the "try to run-out the non-striker after a defensive shot" silliness.

But that was just funny, not annoying.

One of the things to bear in mind when playing a game like this (and I speak as a many year veteran of MLB: The Show, which is a very similar kind of game) is that the animations are usually a reflection of random numbers being generated underneath.

So sometimes you'll see silliness (like catchers digging the ball out of the ground) - but it's not necessarily a bug, other than a graphical glitch.

That is, usually a game like this will go "yeah, it's near enough to that guy that he might catch it. Calculate a chance he'll catch it. get rand(). If rand() is less than the chance calculated, it's a catch. Now generate graphics to match the result (catch or drop)"

It can be jarring to see, and there might be issues with how the "chance to catch" is calculated, but it's not the game cheating.

Folks, I'm getting out way too many times while trying to drive the spinners through off side or straight down the ground (long off or long on). I try to play as late as possible but it seems when you are late on the drive against spinners, you end up edging. This generally happens when AI packs the leg side and puts in point (or forward point) to block my sweep and reverse sweeps. The only "safe" option then is to play in the huge gap in the off side or to long off/long on but I end up edging to wkt keeper when doing so.

My last 4 innings have ended the same exact way - once trying to drive the ball to long on, once to long off and twice through vacant cover/extra-cover region. Last couple of times I checked the replay as I thought I may have been early based on the post by @Ispider, but when I saw the replay I saw that I was indeed playing late and this playing late caused the edge to wkt keeper. So the question is what's the timing to play straight or through off side (i.e. straight & cover drives) so that you don't edge the spinners. Playing late is an option when playing on the leg side but apparently not when playing straight or through the cover region. Any tips would be appreciated.

with driving the spinners I've noticed that, in career mode anyway, you do have to do a little compensating for the line. the foot placement button is not just front foot/back foot, it also takes into account side movement. if you want to drive something outside off you have to move the LAS forward and to the right. the drives through cover this way do you and feel very nice.

however, for anything middle stump I play a leg glance, I only play cover drives against spin.

remember, the rule with spin is to play with the spin, not against it. if you play dead straight you're always asking to be beaten by the turn.

Users who are viewing this thread