My own Processor benchmark Tool -

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Hi guys.

Long time back I had built my own processor benchmark tool but never got around to releasing it. Here's a current build of it.

This build supports single threaded as well as dual threaded tests for Dual Core systems. I've seen some really good scaling on going from single core to dual core, and also some nice clockspeed scaling.

I'm planning on adding Quad Core support later.

There are two tests, I haven't tested extensively so there might be some bugs. But its good neverhteless I hope.

Till then, please try this and post your timings and test here to see what scaling we have. Also please post the processor name and speed if possible.

All comments, suggestions and talks about it are welcome. :)

Thanks. :)

P.S - The 50000000 takes quite a long time and is for some specific purposes. I would recommend using the smaller test.

Attachments

• Benchmark.zip
    25.6 KB · Views: 27

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Whats the difference between 1 thread and 2 threads?

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
1 thread: 35.898 seconds
2 threads: 27.288 seconds

Whats the difference between 1 thread and 2 threads?
Running two threads makes a process execute 2 parts simultaneously. (It isn't actually simultaneous though)

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
My speeds were like this;

'1000000000' test;
1 thread - 22.588 seconds.
2 threads - 10.686 seconds.

although I dont understand what this means? I have Intel core 2 duo cpu T7100 @ 1.8ghz

Abhas

Retired Administrator
A. Pentium 4 @ 2.4 Ghz
1 Thread = Finished! Total time taken was 47.674 seconds.

B. CORE 2 DUO E-6550 @ 2.33GHZ
1 THREAD = Finished! Total time taken was 12.738 seconds.
2 THREADS = Finished! Total time taken was 6.394 seconds.

C. Core Duo T2050 @ 1.6 ghz
1 Thread = Finished! Total time taken was 22.344 seconds.
2 Threads = Finished! Total time taken was 11.518 seconds.

Kshitiz, is this the same you had shown me some time back, or you have made some changes to the algorithm ??

Hitterman

International Coach
I hope you won't mind if I'll ask you a stupid question. What is benchmark and threads? What this good looking tool does?

Sorry for asking this question but as I have never come across this term, I wanted to clear my doubt about this. Is it the processor speed ot the time taken to execute a file?(as described by Shreyas).

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Benchmarking, in simple terms can be thought of as comparing your system with other's, with the help of a similar test, giving an unbiased set of results.

eg., in this case, the tool tests for certain mathematical calculations, and clocks how long it takes the computer to complete them. This determines the processing power.
The lesser the time taken, better the processor.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Woah, cheers for the response guys, means a lot to me. :)

Some interesting results there. Gas, your score seems a bit odd to me, how in the bloody world can you manage 4 - 5 seconds! :p I use 2 threads and I run me E2160 at 3 Ghz, and it takes around 9.5 seconds. Can that mean cache difference also comes in play?

Abhas, the scaling your systems showed seems perfect, shows the advantage of having a core 2 duo over a Pentium 4.

I'll go over the other results and compile what's going on where. :)

Shreyas, I don't know what you mean by Simultaneous, but my tool does use 2 threads and divide the workload exactly in two. So that provides for some good scaling.

Abhas said:
Kshitiz, is this the same you had shown me some time back, or you have made some changes to the algorithm ??

I've made a little changes, but nothing major. Timing should be approximately same.

From the looks of it, I best go and overhaul the timing algorithm. That seems the biggest thing at fault here looking at some unexpected results. I'll keep you all updated. :)

Hitterman

International Coach
Thanks for the nice explaination Abhas.

Here are my stats:
1000000000 Test
Thread 1= 25.444 seconds
Thread 2= 15.391 seconds

Intel Pentium 4
2.8 GHZ

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Some interesting results there. Gas, your score seems a bit odd to me, how in the bloody world can you manage 4 - 5 seconds! :p I use 2 threads and I run me E2160 at 3 Ghz, and it takes around 9.5 seconds. Can that mean cache difference also comes in play?

No idea mate, i can provide screen shot proof of the score though. :onpc

Abhas

Retired Administrator
lol.. those values can be edited.. Not that I'm accusing you or something, but that was something I told Kshitiz as well..

Users who are viewing this thread