NatWest Series 2005

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Briggsey said:
Look out for Ed Joyce he's already scored 1000 runs this season and has been tipped to replace Thorpe after the Ashes.
yeah ive heard about him hes another one of "imports" isn't he, hes irish or something and meant to be an excellent batsman, after thorpe has retired were gonna ahve a lot of you or prime batsman with no-one who can really make way. We seem to have an abundancy of great new batsmen. Looks like there is no way back in for butcher now.

Hoping for a Bangladesh - England final..

Same here pal! That would be one of the most biggest insults for the World Champions.. If that happens, wonder what changes the ICC rankings would undergo?

Its still too early to dream but what the heck? We humans have the right to dream anything!

saisrini80 said:
Same here pal! That would be one of the most biggest insults for the World Champions.. If that happens, wonder what changes the ICC rankings would undergo?!

australia have so many points in the icc rankings that if they were whitewashed two series in a row they would still be top

"The grand old Bowlers of Australia they gave away 253 runs and when they got to the top of the crease they gave as a extra"

My view :D

Pieterson and Vaughan did great and Australia saw Harmison for themselves, what a catch by Collingwood.

nickypoo said:
yeah ive heard about him hes another one of "imports" isn't he, hes irish or something and meant to be an excellent batsman, after thorpe has retired were gonna ahve a lot of you or prime batsman with no-one who can really make way. We seem to have an abundancy of great new batsmen. Looks like there is no way back in for butcher now.

He's irish but doesn't qualify until after the Ashes. Pieterson and Bell > joyce.

barmyarmy said:
'Crushed' is definitely unfair. The Aussies bowled pretty well and were undone by one man rather than the whole team.
Anyhow who cares? 4 in a row...

Forget Harmison and Vaughan then.

They play for England Cricket Team not Pieterson R Us

Ed Joyce qualifies for England on the 1st of July. The same day that the ICC Trophy starts in which he'll be playing for Ireland. We could end up with the bizarre situation where he helps Ireland qualify for the World Cup, then plays against them in the actual tournament!

u r wrong there.icc rule states that once a person represents a country.he cannot play for another country before 5-8 yers break.not sure abt the length of time.but there is a rule.when eng toured zim last yr,a zimbabwaen father didnt allow his son to play in zim a team.he wanted his son to play foe eng.think this was published in telegraph.

jazz said:
australia have so many points in the icc rankings that if they were whitewashed two series in a row they would still be top

but still they would lose good amount of points and the gap between them and the rest of the nations would definitely bridge. i am not saying that they will fall down to No.2 or No.3 soon. They might remain No.1 for some more time but the gap would definitely narrow!

Australia will struggle in the World Cup. McGrath 37, Kasprowicz, Hayden, Martyn 35, Ponting and Gilchrist 32. Gillespie 32.

Briggsey said:
Collingwood's catch was amazing, does anyone have a photo of that because that was simply stunning!!
I've had a quick look around the net but can't find anything yet; I guess the catch was just so damn good nobody was quick enough to get the shot ;). Stunning :eek: , Colly has definately taken over Jonty's no1 point/backward point fielder spot.

Man all Australian players are above 30 years and some of them are under 30 years. Anyway who cares I hope ENG-BANG come in finla. that would be great.

Good game. I thought England would win initially, but I constantly changing my mind.

Gillespie struggled, as did Kasprowicz, to pressure batsmen and maintain economy. Gillespie's first over certainly allowed England a better start than they had played for. McGrath, Hogg and Watson, on the other hand did quite well.

Australia would certainly have benefited from a first slip in place for most of the game, the three chances that escaped Gilchrist were well catchable. The fields used late in the game to Lewis exhibited no pressure whatsoever on an unsettled rookie tailender. This was poor cricket, not necessarily solely by Ponting, as his faith in his bowlers may well have dwindled towards the end of the match. On a whole, the fielding was good from both sides, Collingwood's catch and Gilchrist's runout were both impressive.

Neither team was particularly effective in using short deliveries to rattle opposition batsmen, but England were definitely the better of the two. Australia need to reacquaint themselves with such a weapon (and I hate to say that probably means Brett Lee) to establish some standard of intimidation.

A number of England's wickets fell easily, without too much being deserved by Australia. Strauss' strange unnecessary chop-on and Collingwood's failed defence of a high ball showed points at which England threatened to hand the game over to Australia. Likewise, Damien Martyn made things easy for Harmison. Both teams will be expecting better top order performances, although England will likely want Pietersen up higher, while Symonds could possibly struggle to regain his place in the team (but I doubt it).

Vaughan's innings damn near killed England. His intention was to bat it out and bring it home, but in getting out he wasted so very much strike. Such an performance would have been severely detrimental chasing 270+. When Vaughan left, it was virtually a requirement that Pietersen post a big and fast score.

Fantastic news for followers of Mike Hussey, after more than a year since his ODI debut, he finally has an average. It would be the meagre number of 230.

England definitely played better today, but they will know that if there is room for improvement in Australia's game, they too will have to improve to meet Australia at the top of it's game.

Go England!
How many matches left? One round right? Does this mean that if Bangla wins one more they play England in the final?

Bang-Eng final.....dont see that happening....and dont want to see that happening.

Also guys like I said before, the Aussies are just going through a bad patch. Form is temporary but class is permanent, and the Aussies do have a lot of class.

The Aussies played a lot better today, which is why the win means so much. As far as Bangladesh are concerned, unless we have a few washouts, I dont see them winning any more matches. Their work is done, one surprise win in the tournament, as Whatmore has said earlier.

Vaughan's innings damn near killed England. His intention was to bat it out and bring it home, but in getting out he wasted so very much strike. Such an performance would have been severely detrimental chasing 270+. When Vaughan left, it was virtually a requirement that Pietersen post a big and fast score.

But it set the platform for Pieterson. Imagine if England were 120-6 instead of 160-6.

3 matches before the final.
Vaughan isn't a good ODI player (he's never scored a 100) but in this case a patient innings was what was needed.

Users who are viewing this thread