NatWest Series 2005

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mike Atherton on the Aussies.

The number of fumbles, misfields and grabs at thin air brought to mind some England performances of the past ... a team full of dobbers and crap fielders? It has been said about every England touring team to Australia in the past 15 years. It's nice to be able to return the compliment.

barmyarmy said:
I remember the summer of 1997 where Adam and Ben Hollioake demolished Australia in the One Day series and raised all our hopes only for the Ashes to go begging once again. We even won the first test before losing 3-1.
OD cricket means nothing. These defeats are great for amusement value and for making the Aussies squirm but come July 21 they're still favourites.

We are such a better side now then we were then.

andrew_nixon said:
Strange, considering he's a better bowler than Giles, as are a handful of other English spinners.

Giles is either on it or not. If Brown/Keedy could bat like Giles then GIlo wouldn't be in the team. Duncan likes long batting orders.

I would put in Tremlett for Solanki at Trent Bridge. Although it can spin there

Solanki is an opener.

Would India play Sehwag at 8?

A difference in class i know.

Two years or so ago I wouldn't have had Giles in the team, but I feel both his bowling and batting have improved over recent times. Vaughan and Fletcher are fans too.

I would still not jump into a conclusion on whether or not England will win the Natwest Series or the Ashes . The aussies are a champion side and they know how to rise from the ashes ! What certainly excites me is the fight England are likely to put up regardless of the result at the end of the long summer . I remember many experts saying that the aussies were on the decline when India toured Australia in 2003 and drew the test series to retain the border-gavaskar trophy . If you guys remember India put up some huge scores in that series and the aussie bowling though without warne and Mcgrath looked very ordinary . Ian Healy predicted an aussie defeat when Australia would tour India in 2004 October but the Aussies proved everybody wrong .
England look a completely different side with the influx of one of th world`s most exciting players in Kevin Peitersen . What amazes me is that players like Peitersen,Flintoff,Sehwag and Afridi are enjoying more and more success on a consistent basis !
The Australian batting lineup has looked quite vulnerable this year . Remember the VB Series finals where australia escaped defeat after posting reasonably low scores against Pakistan and also the GABBA game against West Indies where they slumped to 30/6 . The Aussies never looked invincible but their bowling was in a sort of a form which could win matches defending 200 runs . Now, when the bowling looks rusty , the team looks to be coming down with the rest of the pack of teams .
Bret Lee is being sorely missed , His raw pace would never have let the Bangladeshi batmen chase 250 comfortably or Lewis survive with the bat .
With Symonds and Lee back, I bet we would see an Aussie resurgence .
Till then, its advantage England finally!

Sureshot said:
Giles in, Batty sent back to Worcestershire
Good move. Wonder whether he will find a spot in the starting XI though. Looks like Solanki will lose his spot. :rolleyes:

barmyarmy said:
I remember the summer of 1997 where Adam and Ben Hollioake demolished Australia in the One Day series and raised all our hopes only for the Ashes to go begging once again. We even won the first test before losing 3-1.

A similar thing happened against South Africa in 2003. We won the NatWest series after thrashing them, then we thought we would win the series the same way.

Oh and I believe it was 3-2 in the '97 series, after we won the final test too?

preet said:
What a player Pietersen is...awesome. I don't have any words to describe this man. I think he's gonna be the man to break Sachin's 38 centuries record. Love this guy....
Some dream world you live in.

rahulk666 said:
Good move. Wonder whether he will find a spot in the starting XI though. Looks like Solanki will lose his spot. :rolleyes:

Solanki has had his chances but Strauss came in and took his. :happy

Users who are viewing this thread