New years resolution 2010

Wouldn't mind some prove tbh because I doubt that very much. I've never really seen a boxer with a bad physique but seen plenty of MMA fighters that are unconditioned and flabby.

I edited, after doing a bit of research and thought, realising that the conditioning required is completely different for each sport.

The top tier MMA fighters are well conditioned athletes that work incredibly hard on their conditioning. There aren't many genuinely successful flabby fighters nowadays. Roy Nelson's probably the only one, but he'll never be a World Champion.

Yes, tell that to the 100's of people with broken jaws and brain damage that have resulted from being punched with these padded gloves :sarcasm

Those injuries generally come from sustained damage, and it's also down to the fact that Boxers train to put more power into their punches more consistently, as they basically purely train upper body strength. In terms of likelihood of a 1 punch knockout, MMA gloves are far more dangerous. That's actually why there haven't been any deaths or serious injuries in the UFC. There's more chance of being knocked out clean, and if you're badly hurt the ref's jump in and stop the fight before further damage can be inflicted. In Boxing, the ref gives a 10 count and if the bloke stands up he can get continually punched in the head for a few more minutes. Far more dangerous a sport than MMA.

Put it this way, would a MMA fighter beat a pro boxer in a boxing bout, off course not. They're pretty much decathlon athletes tbh.

It would be like me saying Usain Boult or any 100M sprinter needs a more defined and solid technique to win his event when comparing them to a decathlete who like a MMA fighter has more then one specialty.

Put it this way, would a pro boxer beat an MMA fighter in an MMA bout? Of course not. It's a nothing point. There are seriously talented boxers in MMA as well. Andrei Arlovksi's hands are rated incredibly highly by Freddie Roach, Vitor Belfort could be a top 5 boxer in his Weight Division, and Anderson Silva is trying to get a fight with Roy Jones sorted. Not all MMA fighters could step into a boxing ring and do well, but there are some that could.

A boxer needs a more defined boxing technique than an MMA fighter, because an MMA fighter needs to learn more than 1 facet of the game; well done, we already knew that and that wasn't what we were discussing. Your original point was that Boxing required more technique than MMA though, and you seem to have run away from that and changed your opinion.

So..umm...anyone else got any New Year's Resolutions they wish to share with us? :laugh

Tom, are you sure it's not, find a women that's not actually a nutcase?

Tom, are you sure it's not, find a women that's not actually a nutcase?

Haha, you sure it is not actually and is more like what I made of them? :p

But nah, in reality, I ain't letting one nutter affect me. Anyway, you know about the new one :p

Kicks, punches, knees, elbows, takedowns, takedown defence, clinch wrestling, dirty boxing, clinch striking, ground transitions, ground and pound, submissions and submission defence. There's alot more to MMA than kicking, punching and submissions.
And you tried saying the sport isn't gay :sarcasm
Jokes :laugh

Users who are viewing this thread