New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

I disagree. First we go to India and there are dead pitches and we complain there's not enough juice. Now we get some juice and complain that it's too much! Ridiculous! They should be happy just to play international cricket.

This shocking performance is not because of the pitch, it's due to bowling and batsmen who need to get their act together.

When I say isn't good I mean it isn't a belter. Personally I like sporting pitches. Ones which give the bowlers something all the time and something batsmen can play their shots on. I think this pitch fits that mould. Very fair pitch and also it doesn't seem like it mattered with the toss. It's played fair and about the same all throughout.

I think Matthew Hayden should/might retire in Adelaide. Especially if Australia scrape home. Pressure is starting to come onto him to score runs and he probably wants to go out before his place comes under jeopardy.

Ahhh, Martin to Hayden. What a delivery. Further proof that all you need to dismiss Hayden is abit of pace but more importantly movement. He won't retire before the 2009 Ashes, but if I was him I would, he struggles in England, he doesn't like facing swing, so Anderson and Sidebottom could definitely have his card. He will want to finish with a bang, and if I was him I would retire after the Saffa home series.

Daniel Flynn further proved his talents, he batted extremely well, especially with wickets consistently falling around him. Just a shame he was left with the tail really. If he and Vettori could have got a partnership going then New Zealand would be in a very, very solid position. This is going to be a very exciting end to the test match, and after watching this performance I'm cheering on the Kiwi's. Not only do they have a few truely entertaining players, but they've also got an incredibly sexy new Test Shirt :p. McCullum and Taylor to lead them home tommorow i'm predicting.

Hayden just needs some runs, im sure he will come good as the summer goes on, he deserves his place.

When I say isn't good I mean it isn't a belter. Personally I like sporting pitches. Ones which give the bowlers something all the time and something batsmen can play their shots on. I think this pitch fits that mould. Very fair pitch and also it doesn't seem like it mattered with the toss. It's played fair and about the same all throughout.

I think Matthew Hayden should/might retire in Adelaide. Especially if Australia scrape home. Pressure is starting to come onto him to score runs and he probably wants to go out before his place comes under jeopardy.

Just curious, irrotev, is your name meant to spell Vettori when read in the reverse order or is your name actually `irrotev` ?

If Hayden does decide to retire during the Aussie summer, he`ll announce it during the SA test series which will be a more high-profile series (can`t wait for it).
I can predict an ODI retirement soon.There is no reason for him to continue playing ODI cricket. He has achieved all that a player could ask for, won 2 World Cups!

Test Cricket is something which is hard to decide upon.He has just played one series after his return from injury.We have seen time and again as to how difficult it is to strike form after an injury, especially when it is late in your career.We`ll have to wait and see whether this is just a phase in his career or whether the alarm bells are ringing loud.
I`d say that we would be in a better position to judge that when we are through with the first two SA tests. If he fails there, I can see a Sydney test retirement in the New Year`s test.
I definitely can see him struggling against Anderson,Freddie,Sidebottom,Harmisson and Broad in swinging and seaming conditions during the Ashes, especially if he is not in peak form.

Coming back to this game, it should be a cracker.This is what a good sporting Test match pitch can do.It has had action throughout. For those saying that the wicket is loaded in the favour of the bowlers,I do not agree.The Aussies would have notched up a 400+ target on this very wicket against this Kiwi bowling attack, had this match been played 12 months or so ago.
They are not at their most confident self at the moment and that is showing in their batting. Ponting and Hayden who were raking up hundreds for fun in the 2006-07 season are both finding things a bit difficult now and that for me is a reason why the Aussies are struggling.The Aussies have just won 2 of their last 9 test matches.

Last year during the India-Australis series in Australia (before the Perth Test), I mentioned how tracks helpful for seam bowling would be the best way to beat the Aussies.I still maintain that. SA would feel that they have a real chance in their forthcoming test series if they have a fully fit pace attack.

I`ll have to plan on waking up early tomorrow to catch live acton because the rate at which things have happened in this match, it could well be over if I wake up late.It is the charm of the Aussie season.The early wake-up times and crystal clear coverage with great commentary is what makes the Aussie summer tests a delight to watch.It has a very fresh feel to it.

Last edited:
Just curious, irrotev, is your name meant to spell Vettori when read in the reverse order or is your name actually `irrotev` ?

Yeah its Vettori in reverse.

Also you can always gaurteed of Ponting blaming pitches and toss that went against them. If toss is so important why play after you have lost toss.

It's meant to be Vettori in reverse yeah. When I signed up I couldn't think of a name so I just went with Vettori backwards.

I think we can win this. I think we can chase up to 250 max and i'm hoping Australia get out for 220ish. We need Katich this morning. He'd be a huge wicket. With the bat all we need is 1 partnership probably. McCullum, Ryder and Taylor need to lay their natural game. I'd promote Flynn to split them up in the batting order a bit.

I'm still really annoyed we wasted that first innings. If we had scored just 50odd more runs and come up nearly par with Australia we'd be hot favorites.

Australia have bowled OK, Lee looked very good, back to his best I thought. Johnson has also looked very good, seems to have developed a far better and more consistent line in this test. He's generating some serious pace as well, a few balls coming through in the high 160's.

Couldn't resist :) Johnson was average in his first spell of 5 overs, went at 6 an over. His saving grace was he had McCullum which was a good ball. But other than that he was either too wide or short. Second spell was a bit harder to read as it happened so quickly and the NZ tail was all but gone. He would give me more confidence if he starting getting more wickets off good balls rather than the wide ones.

Hmm, he does seem to pick up the majority of his wickets with wide balls, but I do think he does look far more threatening in Australia. I didn't mean high 160's either, that's 100mph+ isn't it? I'm not too sharp on the whole KPH measurements :p. I like watching real pace, and Johnson certainly appears to have that in Australia, and the extra bounce and carry makes him look incredibly threatening. The McCullum delivery was a good'un actually, especially considering McCullum had played 2 incredibly class shots before that.

Lol kinda of noticed that, he was bowling 150km/h and slightly under. But he was doing that in India as well just it doesn't look as threatening over there. All he needs is swing to become a real dangerous bowler that all batsmen around the world will fear.

Australia lead by 207 runs with 4 wickets remaining,Katich is on 75,Aus will be thinking of anthing close to 300,because they have wrapped up NZ on 156,they have bowlers to do it once again,lets see,all depends on Katich here.

This is more like the Haddin NSW have come to love. Straight driving very well and so far no careless shot. Hope he keeps this up.

This match seems to be a lawn tennis one :p pin drop silence :D

250 will be a good score to defend. Australia might win this game.

Users who are viewing this thread