• South Africa

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 22 42.3%

• Total voters

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Maxkarter said:
Well done to NZ for making us pay for some shocking fielding, although Boje made a great catch, unfortunately there was no way he could stay out of the boundry there. Unless we score relatively quickly, there is no way we can get a result in our favour in this match, however if NZ steam roll us somehow its quite easy for them to take a win. But from the way things stand at the moment, a draw looks very possible.

It'll be tough to get any other result than a draw. NZ winning would mean they would have to get out Kallis twice the 2nd time he would be the rock. If the other SA batsmen stay with him then a draw is the only way this test will be going.

James_W

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Surely NZ are just gonna wait for Franklin to get 100, give him about 15 min max, and then declare, right?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
They will wait to Franklin gets his 100. Fleming well tell him to get it as quick as possible but he knows when you are in the 90s it could take a while. Of course for NZ to have a better chance of winning this Fleming should declare straight away and get into SA.

irottev

School Cricketer
Amazing innings by Fleming. A draw seems likely with the winter weather, but we can still win. Its up to our bowlers to do their jobs. In the end Fleming was unlucky to go out to such a poor ball. He got dropped once but every batsmen gets luck from time to time. South Africa's catching skill is lacking and thats cost them.

Smiths captaincy was bizzare. How could he bowl on that? Strange indeed.

Its great to see us dominate the bowlers. Ntini looked good with the new ball, but hasn't bowled that well afterwald. Franklin has been slow, thats my only gripe.

It was also a shame that South Africa were offered the light. It looked gloomy, but we could of gotten Franklins 100 and been in better shape. I know Fleming to be a good captain, and if the conditions suit bowlers tomorrow he will declare. Winning to him and Franklin will be more important then that 100 you would think. If the conditions are decent, he may give Franklin a chance.

James219

International Cricketer
Sureshot said:
Strauss has already got 9 Test Centuries hasn't he?

Strauss has 8, now one less than Fleming, but the New Zealander has quite a few half centuries, suggestive of his pretty poor conversion rate.
Insane stuff from Fleming; he took advantage of both his own and team position, put faith in his partner as a result pounced on Smith through his plan execution.
Anyway, I would say a declaration after Franklin's century would have to be Fleming's thinking...

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
New Zealand should bat as long as possible, just to avoid that they have to bat a second time. I reckon, with some luck, New Zealand could hold it out till lunch, which will give them about 600 runs. That should be enough runs for them.

And then can South Africa reply.

James219 said:
Strauss has 8, now one less than Fleming, but the New Zealander has quite a few half centuries, suggestive of his pretty poor conversion rate.

Yeah, but if I am right, Fleming has hit now three double centuries. :clap

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It will be a real test for Fleming thats for sure. Definitely if it is bowling friendly conditions NZ have to declare. But going by what I just heard of the radio, Fleming had said it's up to Franklin to make his 100 then the bowlers to bowl well.

James219

International Cricketer
ZexyZahid said:
Yeah, but I am right, Fleming has hit now three double centuries. :clap

Yeah, that's right, but 9 centuries, despite three being over 200, in 101 matches is pretty terrible for a player of his class and ability.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
ZexyZahid said:
New Zealand should bat as long as possible, just to avoid that they have to bat a second time. I reckon, with some luck, New Zealand could hold it out till lunch, which will give them about 600 runs. That should be enough runs for them.

And then can South Africa reply.

The longest they should bat for is to Franklin gets his 100. Any longer means SA have less surviving to do and also know that NZ aren't very confident in their bowlers. Also getting Kallis out twice is an extremely hard task. Boucher and De Villers are in good form and would provide Kallis with the support needed. They will need all the time possible.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I believe they should ideally look to give themselves 30-45 minutes leading up to Lunch. Always tricky facing a spell of around that time, with bowlers knowing they can give it their all and then have a nice break before charging in again after Lunch. I also think they should declare at a slightly "random" moment.

Attempt to catch their openers mentally off-guard ;)

irottev

School Cricketer
James219 said:
Yeah, that's right, but 9 centuries, despite three being over 200, in 101 matches is pretty terrible for a player of his class and ability.

I agree. But they showed an interesting statistic where Flemings average away from NZ is 10 runs higher. Everyone knows that NZ has traditionally been a hard place to bat (though that seems to be improving) and that is probably a factor in the fact that he has had 45 odd 50's and only 9 scores above 100.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Not really, surely he should have a lot more scores over 100, and a lot less of 50 odd? In that if he reaches 50 so often on difficult pitches he should be cashing in and going on to get 100s when he does. Yet the rest of the time getting out early in his innings? So lots of scores around 0-15, and a fair few of 75-150. He is however not the only batsman who seems to get out having got to 50 and looking comfortable.

irottev

School Cricketer
He averages over 45 overseas. He does cash in on good pitches.

Can I ask why Kallis hasn't gotten a 200 but Jason Gillespie has. And Fleming has 3?

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
So only averages 35 at home? Not particularly inspiring. The point I was making was that it doesn't explain the lack of Centuries and loads of 50's that he plays in New Zealand, as instead of loads of 50s he should have a load of low scores of 0-15, or when in go on to score 100s. As someone who plays in New Zealand you would think scoring as many as you can when you get through the early difficulties would be key?

In answer to your question, because Kallis always bats so bleedin' uninterestingly that it would take the reintroduction of 6 day test matches for Kallis to reach 200.... also the rest of their batting order doesn't last long enough for Kallis to reach 200. If once in his career he had actually accelerated an innings for the good of the team, then perhaps he would have got one, but trying to make sure your not out when the innings ends is a pretty poor way to get a 200 ;)

Gillespies 200 is an anomoly. In that he was playing Bangladesh, and they are essentially not test class yet, despite what Aussie fans might try and have you believe ;)

Last edited:

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
puddleduck said:
Gillespies 200 is an anomoly. In that he was playing Bangladesh, and they are essentially not test class yet, despite what Aussie fans might try and have you believe ;)

yet if he hadve scored a golden duck and no runs throughout the series you would be bagging him and saying he cant bat for peanuts.

thats hardly fair.

Users who are viewing this thread