New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka, 2009

Told you we shoulda batted. The pitch is dead now. Only took the first half hour for it to dry out.

Day 5 will probably be a spinners paradise, so if the game lasts that long we won't be able to chase over 150.

Really. The speedgun may be a little of I reckon, I saw the highlights on the news and Martin was only bowling 130K.

They haven't looked like they are bowling quick at all it wouldn't surprise me if Martin was only bowling at 130.

Edit: He was bowling around 135 at the start of the innings though its probably just the heat.

They haven't looked like they are bowling quick at all it wouldn't surprise me if Martin was only bowling at 130.

Edit: He was bowling around 135 at the start of the innings though its probably just the heat.

Yea your probably right, it happened it Bangladesh last year to.

Ryder's showing why we don't need Oram tbh, he can pretty much do the same job and he bowls a tad quicker.

This is why some of you say Vettori has been underachieving recently or whatever. We end up bowling first and he ends up bowling a heap of first innings overs where the ball's doing nothing just to pull back the scoring/help put pressure on. If the bowlers did the job up front it wouldn't be a problem.

Totally agree. Our bowling is pretty spineless tbh. The ball was moving around in the first session, how do you let someone score 70 odd of 50 balls. We really need someone with a bit of pace, just something different.

you should get some one like bond, its about time we see some one outstanding from NZ. dont get me wrong i think NZ players a good but you guys need some one with a X factor

Last edited:
Yea I agree.

Sounds like O'Brien's getting some reverse swing, he seems to be bowling much better now.

welldone mahela, i think sri lankas must be looking a 450 and nothing more. you cant take a chance with rain around

Yep, first 2 balls of his current over have gone for Four. Must be bowling much better. I really don't rate this Kiwi bowling line-up in Test cricket. Martin's very hit and miss, O'Brien even more so, Oram's over the hill, you know my feelings on Vettori as a Test bowler, and Patel's worse than him. There's just no-one there that performs consistently and gets wickets at a good rate. Vettori's got the consistently of line and length, and keeps the runs down, but he doesn't get enough wickets. They need Bond back.

Tuffey was probably the wild card we needed easy to say that in hindsight though. We just need more strike power I would like to see an attack of Bond, Tuffey, Martin, Franklin and Vettori that is far more threatening than what we have now.

Yep, first 2 balls of his current over have gone for Four. Must be bowling much better. I really don't rate this Kiwi bowling line-up in Test cricket. Martin's very hit and miss, O'Brien even more so, Oram's over the hill, you know my feelings on Vettori as a Test bowler, and Patel's worse than him. There's just no-one there that performs consistently and gets wickets at a good rate. Vettori's got the consistently of line and length, and keeps the runs down, but he doesn't get enough wickets. They need Bond back.

O'Brien's far from hit and miss.

2008, his first full year of international cricket.

38 wickets at 21, real hit and miss that :sarcasm

He was pretty average against the Indian's but the deck's were as flat as heck.

But yea for the most part your right, our bowling is rubbish.

Whenever I've seen him he's been hit and miss. Can be excellent one day, producing deliveries like the one he got Alistair Cook with in NZ, but can then look incredibly average the next day. Also, is it no coincidence that his only good year, came when the series he played in were against Bangladesh, England, Bangladesh, Australia and West Indies. He still performed decently against Australia, but his average was massively boosted by averaging 16 and 11 against Bangladesh. Take those wickets against Bangladesh off his record, and his average jumps to above 40, that's Stuart Broad-esque Test bowling, guessing you don't rate O'Brien at all either? Tuffey and Bond would be FAR better options.

Users who are viewing this thread