Next England Captain

the next England captain

• Total voters
Strauss been seen driving out of lords nailed on to get the job if he hasnt already. Can't believe the ECB have been such morons its been obvious that moores hasnt been up to scratch for a long time and that he'll only go if our best player sacrifices his shot at captaincy.

Adams? =/ You know he's retired right? and Vaughan? I'd rather see Bell as captain than see Vaughan back. Key wouldn't be a bad thing, and the chances of him coming into the side are high if they get Graham Ford from Kent. Straussy deserves it most though.
Nope :o

KP wanted Vaughan back, and if you want a new skipper and keep KP happy, might as well let it be him.

Who else does the captaining job in the domestic scene?

Also it would be absolutely terrible to pick a player who hasnt been in the team to be captain, you cant just waltz in and take over as captain.

Also it would be absolutely terrible to pick a player who hasnt been in the team to be captain, you cant just waltz in and take over as captain.
Apart from Strauss, it's either someone new, or one of Colly, Freddie, Cook, Bell, Shah, Bopara, Ambrose, Prior, Monty, Anderson, Harmy, Sidebottom, Broad or Swann. TBH, I'd rather go with the new guy :p

On reflection I think that Flintoff would be a good captain aswell. Yes he did poorly in the Ashes but he did very well back in India 06 and was able to win a Test pretty convincingly.

But I still think Straussy should get it. :p

Flintoff ruined his chances of ever being England captain in the whole 'Fredalo' incident. He's admitted himself that he'll never be England captain again, and rightly so. He made a right pigs ear of it last time.

Strauss is the only real option.

Tbh Freddy was the worst captain I have ever seen in the Ashes so his chances probably weren't very high before Fredalo :D

Strauss was a very good captain and was one of the few who got the best out of Monty. He will be captain and he is a good one but like Ben I think Cook would be good too, just because such a young player would signal a new era and he could be something special but I'm not sure how the players will take to being told what to do by a 23 year old and Cook doesn't really come across like Smith did. Plus he's got his own form to deal with although for a man who's out of form he's scoring a hell of a lot of runs, 8 50's isn't bad, time to start converting them though.

I wouldn't mind picking someone who really hates Bell and loves Trott though, i.e anyone with half a brain. :D

Last edited:
Cook's place isn't secure though, he's been rubbish in the past year. Seems incapable of making a hundred. Top score of 76 last year at an average of 36, he's definitely getting worse as people work out how to get him out. Cook's record under Strauss is impressive as well, averaging 63, seems Strauss is the best choice ;)

Having 36 is hardly rubbish. He's just a little below par at the moment. He's going through his first slump in test cricket. It was always going to happen, it does with everyone. He can get through it because he's good enough. Provided people get off his back about it. I mean come on, how many test players are considered to be going through a patch of failure and still average 36 ffs.

I suppose you're right, but I've never been convinced by him in the last year. He's looked woefully out of touch, and the fact that he's failed to convert 8 fifties into 1 hundred is incredibly disappointing. His average is getting steadily worse though, it's been going down in the past 2 years.

He does have a good record under Strauss though, even if that was batting at 3. Could possibly be time for someone like Key to come in at the top with Strauss, with Cook moving down to 3? Worked against Pakistan, when Bell was on form at 6, and considering it's the number 3 spot is the problem Cook could move down and refind his form....

36 is not rubbish for a 23 year old who's out of form. We know he's good enough to make the 100's. He's done it everywhere. Out of form is like Bell who if you take out his 199 on a road at Lords would have averaged about -5 going off my maths.

You can hardly say he's in decline when he's been playing for 3 years. I don't care where he bats as long as Bottler Bell is dropped.

The new England team?

1. Andrew Strauss (c)
2. Rob Key
3. Alastair Cook
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Owais Shah
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Matt Prior (wk)
8. Graeme Swann
9. Ryan Sidebottom
10. James Anderson
11. Steve Harmison

Might happen that one. This one would be the best though but it will never happen:

1. Marcus Trescothick
2. Andrew Strauss (c)
3. Alastair Cook
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Andrew Flintoff
6. Ian Bell
7. Chris Read (wk)
8. Graeme Swann
9. Matthew Hoggard
10. Steve Harmison
11. Simon Jones

:)

Bottler Bell happens to have a very good record in England. He's more than good enough to play for England, and I think it's time for him to move back down the order. It would mean dropping Paul Collingwood, which although harsh considering his hundred in India is something I wouldn't be too against. Collingwood seems to be consistently out of form, but then saves his career with a big score when it really matters for him. I'd be happy to see a team like:

Strauss (c)
Key/Denly
Cook
Pietersen
Bell
Prior (Wk)
Flintoff
Broad
Anderson
Sidebottom
Panesar

Harsh to drop Collingwood, but I think the side looks much better like that. Not bothered which of the openers comes in, would probably prefer to see Key in the side though because of his previous Test Match experience. Denly's definitely the future of England cricket though I feel. He and Cook could form a really good partnership in years to come, and I'd like to see Denly given a run in the ODi team to see how he performs. Opinions?

Lee, Chris Read? The blokes a twat, and he can't bat at Test level. Good keeper possibly, but when you've got a slightly out of form Freddie Flintoff batting ahead of him it's not going to happen. I'd much rather take Steve Davies ahead of Read anyday, at least he offers some batting. We need Simon Jones back though, I'll agree with that, the guy's dynamite.

Users who are viewing this thread