Next England Captain

the next England captain

• Total voters
I never thought KP was the right choice for captain. I can't understand why guys with no captaincy experience at first class level (or below even) are even considered. This is always going to be a problem if you fast track guys into the international side and don't let them develop at county level though. Nobody in the current side is a standout candidate. Strauss as interim captain is ok, but not full time. Colly and Freddie are out and that leaves nobody.

Tests: Andrew Strauss
OD's: Robert Key

Strauss has proved his talents in his previous go as England captain when Vaughan was injured, so is the perfect choice for the Test captain. Then Rob Key's got experience and talent with Kent, so he get's the ODi captaincy. No-one else in the current ODi squad is capable of taking the captaincy.

Maybe England should go the Aussie way? Give your best player the captaincy, regardless if he's a great or terrible skipper, and hope he leads from the front? Worked with Ponting. For England that would be...

Oh wait, you already tried that. Never mind :p

Sorry, but you have to admit, this is a pretty funny situation. England went from having things all figured out to being completely lost in 5 months. How many other sides will find themselves without one decent choice for captain in their squad?

I'm quite worried the selectors will actually go with Bell now because of his experience at under 19 level. He might not big up Trott too because Trott would probably force him out of the side. :mad :p

Hmm Strauss, is a decent captain, but can't do ODI, they could choose a wildcard like Owais Shah, good in both forms of the game, and Graeme Smith hadn't had much experience when he took the cpataincy. They won't choose him, but Strauss won't work as an ODI captain, but could do a decent job as Test captain.

As for KP, I'm surprised he resigned, along with Moores, but other ways not, in some way it may be for the better, not being the most responsible perhaps. As for coach, I haven't ever been 100% convinced with him as coach, also choose Sussex players for the sake of it, but I do feel a bit bad, and the whole incident should never have been public, but dare I say with KP it was always going to be public. Not sure who should be new coach though really Geoff Boycott would knock some sense into them! Perhaps a foreign coach.

Sorry, but you have to admit, this is a pretty funny situation. England went from having things all figured out to being completely lost in 5 months. How many other sides will find themselves without one decent choice for captain in their squad?
That's what happens when you fail to pick the best players in the country because you still subscribe to the outdated cliches about the county circuit.

Key in for Bell. New blood, new captain with experience at captaincy.

Key is a decent captain, but I don't think he cracks it as an international cricketer really, and Bell I believe will come good, he is talented player just a run of bad form

Tests: Andrew Strauss
OD's: Robert Key

I've had a change of heart about Rob Key, he may just be the man England need for ODIs. He had a strong 2007 and 2008 in OD cricket in England and could help fill the opener gap that has been so shambolically filled and refilled, time and time again. However, he seems a bit of a Pietersen esque unpredictable character and England may not be best advised to look for such at this moment of crisis.

Here is his season-by-season in OD cricket btw.

He's got a fantastic cricket brain. He's proven that with his various stints as a pundit on Sky, and he's had success both as captain and as a batsman with Kent in the past couple of years, and considering the lack of options in our ODi set up, he's pretty much the only choice for me. I'd much rather seem him captaining England than Bell, Collingwood or Flintoff.

I don't find Rob Pietersen-esque. He can be a bit grumpy at times mind. He's done a good job as Kent captain. He certainly has created a fantastic team spirit and is a much better batsman than when he last got a shot on the international stage. I do find his captaincy a bit formulaic when it comes to his bowling plans mind you. I know sod all about cricket in the grand scheme of things but I have been left screaming internally at some of his decisions at times.

I don't find Rob Pietersen-esque. He can be a bit grumpy at times mind. He's done a good job as Kent captain. He certainly has created a fantastic team spirit and is a much better batsman than when he last got a shot on the international stage. I do find his captaincy a bit formulaic when it comes to his bowling plans mind you. I know sod all about cricket in the grand scheme of things but I have been left screaming internally at some of his decisions at times.

Yes, he can be a bit grumpy at times and it is from this that I made the extrapolation as I feel it could be exemplified through the increased pressure as England rather than Kent captain, but of course, you'd be the authority on Key's captaincy.

I'm also biased and don't want to lose him or Ford from the Kent camp ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread