Story Oceania Premier League:***End of Story!***

Who are you backing in the OPL Grand Final?

• Total voters
Sorry mate, I just don't know yet. It will be a lot of work and I haven't planned anything but I haven't ruled it out...

Major Semifinal: Tasmania Diablos vs Southern Stallions

ResultsHeader.png

Oceania Premier League
Stallions go straight through but Diablos get second chance

MatchLogo.png

BrendonMcCullum.png

Brendon McCullum stood up and led his side into the final

The Southern Stallions have triumphed over the Tasmania Diablos to take the easy route into the final - they are now down to host the final at AMI Stadium against the winner of the playoff in a few days.

The formidable opening bowling pair of Bond and Wagner again did the business for their team, claiming three wickets in the first four overs to reduce the Diablos to 22/3. They were rewarded for straight bowling as the three wickets fell in the form of two plumb lbws and an excellent full delivery from Bond which got through De Villiers' defenses.

However there was a strong response from two of Tasmania's local players - Ponting and Birt - who combined for a 102 run partnership for the fourth wicket. Ponting was at his peak, pulling and hooking supremely and on song down the ground, too. Birt also showed why he has been picked in Australian T20 squads from time to time, with a slowish but assured 42.

However from a position of strength at 124/3 with 4 overs to go, the Diablos were blunted by some crafty spin bowling from Nathan McCullum, who removed Birt and Daniel Marsh in quick succession. Mahela Jayawardene had a rare opportunity to roll his arm over and responded as good as anyone could have hoped - conceding only 3 runs from his over and picking up the wicket of Mohammad Aamer/Amir. This meant the Diablos had a stunted finish to their innings and could only set 150 for the Stallions to chase.

Brendon McCullum and Mahela Jayawardene obviously realised that the real threat posed by the Diablos was now the Pakistani opening bowlers who had bowled both penetratively and economically throughout the league. They seemed to decide to launch an assault against them from the start, and on this occassion they were rewarded for their pro-activeness, managing to hit them safely to all parts of the ground and lay the foundation for an untroubled chase.

Aamer did manage to dismiss Jayawardene but not before the opening pair had put on 51 from fewer than 5 overs, and as soon as they were taken off from the bowling crease, McCullum and Morgan were able to pace themselves - still scoring at a very high rate but with a large degree of safety and any risks they took were calculated. In the end they eased their side home with more than 5 overs to spare to decisively win the match and romp into the Grand Final.

Meanwhile the Diablos will have the second opportunity to make the final - they will meet either the Eagles or the Waccas in the Final Playoff, depending on who wins the preceding Minor semifinal.

MatchScorecard.png

Southern Stallions won by 9 wickets

Footer.png

Minor Semifinal: Northern Eagles vs Western Australia Waccas

ResultsHeader.png

Oceania Premier League
Akmal, Williamson flatten Waccas

MatchLogo-1.png

UmarAkmal.png

Umar Akmal made a cavalier 90 from just 49 balls

Only 3 teams now stand in the Oceania Premier League, following an emphatic victory from the Northern Eagles, at home, over the Western Waccas of Australia.

The Waccas batted first, having made a few minor alterations to their batting line-up - Adrian Barath came up to open as he normally does, and they fronted up with Mitchell Marsh at 3, and then Pomersbach followed by Mike Hussey and Voges. They certainly had the firepower to whack themselves to a massive total, but, without totally blowing it, they couldn't quite get together the sort of total they could have at their best:

Gilchrist and Barath began strongly but Umar Akmal effected a good run out to dismiss Gilchrist, and soon after Kemar Roach bowled a beautiful lifter, which fellow West Indian Barath could only glove to the keeper. Mitchell Marsh seemed a bit out of sorts, and he was also soon bowled by a good outswinger from Anderson for just 6.

From there Mike Hussey stood up for his team once more and, with Pomersbach, he sized up a par score at set about getting to it. The pair ran very well between the wickets and stretched the Eagles' fielding to their limits, but to be fair it held up without any drop catches or major misfields. Then as the end neared both players had their eyes in and opened up, with Martin Guptill and Kyle Mills on the receiving end of some very clean hitting from both the left handers, taking the Waccas to 157/3 at the close of their innings.

However the pitch was a very good one - although there had been a bit in it for the pace bowlers early on it had dried out and was now a very flat surface - 157 was no more than par. Nonetheless Mitchell Johnson made an important inroad early on, dismissing Tendulkar before he could get going, before Sidebottom accounted for Guptill, coming round the wicket and swinging it into his pads.

But it was all one way traffic from there - Akmal and Williamson made almost the perfect youthful combination. While Williamson stroked the ball and pushed Akmal hard between the wickets, Akmal confidently took on the bowlers in cavalier fashion, and was too classy for the rest of the Western bowlers. From 40/2, the pair comfortably carried their side past the Waccas' score in style - when Williamson cut the final boundary off Noffke to reach his fifty and simultaneously finish the match, there were still more than 3 overs to spare.

This means the Eagles will meet the Diablos at Bellrieve Oval in a couple of days, with the winner of that match going on to take on the Southern Stallions at AMI Stadium in Christchurch to contest for the title.

MatchScorecard-1.png

Northern Eagles won by 8 wickets

Footer.png

I'm a bit confised about how you're simming them, but the matches are really interesting.

The Pool games and Super 8 games were simmed using PCCS. The playoffs (and Grand Final) have been/will be simmed using Cricket 04. The playoffs will be autoplayed on Cricket 04 but I am using a PCCS template for the scorecards.

The upcoming Grand Final will be played by me (I'll use a utility developed here called SavTweak to bat and bowl for half of each team's innings to keep it even). A TV-style scorecard, graphics package and technology such as Hawkeye, will be used for the Grand Final. I've prepared a few updates and a couple I reckon are as good as my best updates when I had more time, so I'm pretty pleased with them. Hopefully they will be something to look forward to for my brilliantly persevering readers...

Playoff: Tasmania Diablos vs Northern Eagles

ResultsHeader.png

Oceania Premier League
Vettori and Openers script win over Diablos as Eagles march into final

MatchLogo-2.png

DanielVettori.png

Daniel Vettori celebrates one of his four Diablos wickets

It seems alternative strips are bad luck for the teams wearing them - last time these two sides met the Northern Eagles were the home side who sported their sky blue coloured shirts, and lost the game. This time the Diablos hosted the match at Bellrieve Oval in Hobart, and wore their green playing shirts. This is what unfolded:

The Northern Eagles won the toss and again elected to bat second and chase. The Diablos however got off to a solid start against new ball bowlers Anderson and Roach - although Paine struggled to break through the infield Kieswetter was on top his game and played a lovely aggressive innings to get the Diablos underway.

However from there captain Vettori turned to spin and was rewarded almost immediately as Guptill took a sharp catch at cover to remove the frustrated Paine. Williamson and Vettori then made another strike each - Lou Vincent smartly stumping De Villiers outside off, off Williamson, and then Vettori coming over the wicket and bowling Ponting around his legs. In that same over Kieswetter had a horrible mix up with Birt and was stranded halfway down when the throw came in from Anderson - he would have been anyway, out had the keeper taken the ball and broken the stumps but Anderson left nothing to chance with a direct hit. At 74/4 from 12 overs, the Eagles held the upper hand.

But unlike many of the Diablos' previous efforts, there was to be no great comeback. Vettori and Williamson owned the innings, and Southee also bowled very well at the death to stifle any possibility of a last resort, rearguard action. The Diablos' lack of batting depth was exposed as the Eagles broke into the tail and cleaned it up, restricting the Tasmanians to a meagre 108/8.

The Diablos were shattered - all their hard work in the Group and Super 8 stages leading them to the position of top qualifier, was all but wasted. They had lost their way against the Stallions but now had a second chance, and they looked like wasting it. They got their heads down and although some of them tried right to the end, some appeared to give up and Tendulkar and Akmal took full toll, blitzing their way to the required total with almost 5 overs to spare - Mohammad Aamer put in a gutsy performance but had a catch dropped in slips which did nothing for his morale.

In the end it was a match the Diablos would love to forget - but that is the way they have gone out, and it was their last act of a tournament which they would feel should have been theirs. The euphoric Eagles however, having lost a couple of earlier games, will be feeling as though they are peaking at the right time to take on a strong Stallions outfit.

MatchScorecard-2.png

Northern Eagles won by 10 wickets

Footer.png

That was a solid performance from Vettori with the ball and openers with the bat. Go Eagles go.

Great to see two Kiwi teams locking horns in the grand final. Both teams have plenty of momentum after steamrolling the Aussies, so it should be a good final.

Users who are viewing this thread