ODI Tri-Series (Malaysia)

Should be a good build up for australia towards the Ashes, Champions trophy etc for the end of the year.

irottev said:
My eleven:

Matthew Hayden
Phil Jaques
Ricky Ponting (captain)
Michael Clarke
Andrew Symonds
Michael Hussey
Brad Haddin
Brett Lee
Brad Hogg
Nathan Bracken
Glenn McGrath

12th Man: Mark Cosgrove

Seems pretty well balanced.

Katich could open instead of Hayden but I just don't like Katiches conversion rate, doesn't really make good use of the power plays either, sometimes is too slow at the other end which is good with Gilchrist at the other end but at the same time leaves it all up to him. I think its important Jacques is used as one of them. Eapecially for World Cup preparation.

I think Martyn's days may be numbered. I picked Clarke over him for the fielding aspect and bowling aspect. Cosgrove could come in for him too perhaps. That wouldn't surprise me.

Exactly the same 11 I'd go for. Though, I wouldn't replace Katich over Hayden nor Jaques and when Gilchrist returns then drop Jaques down to number 4.

I'm supprised over how many people think Hayden will bat slowly when his a much more attacking batsman then Katich. Didn't you see him before he got dropped? Particially the reason why he wasn't batting as well is because he was trying to bat at a run a ball. Yeah, his been batting slowly over the past few months but surely he won't bat that SLOW in a ODI.

Hayden also has an excellent record against India, I remember him smashing a run a ball 99 in a test match against em and has scored 3 centuries against India in One-Day cricket with an average of 54.81, so he'd be a diffinant start for the India match.

Also, I'd pick Michael Clarke over both Cosgrove & Martyn due to Clarke's impressive ODI record but perhaps against the West Indies you could tryout Cosgrove. I dunno.

Last call, I can't wait for the Australia-India matches, if the standard is anywhere near what it was in the 2000/01 Australian tour of India then it should be a classic.

Hayden was forcing the issue before he was dropped from the ODI team. He was no longer batting naturally and always pushing the case. He lost his usual game and went into a form slump in the longer form of the game. Will be interesting seeing how he goes.

Does anyone know if this series is going to be televised?

And not only what channels, but what radio statiosn will broadcast commentary. I hope ABC radio does because I doubt Channel 9 will.

It's going to be on Foxsports on Foxel here in Australia. There also getting the Australian domestic competitions on Foxsports aswell, I believe. I saw it on an add which featured Harbhajan Singh taking 30 odd wickets in 3 matches and Hayden averaging over 100 in the 00/01 series. Not to mention Laxman's & Dravid's freakist partnership :|

doubt it they will only cover New Zealand matches and the ICC champions tropy

ahhh so it is gonna be on foxsports, i am from australia, shoulda said, yeah i havent heard any announcement that it was gonna be thats why i asked, so thanks for that

Jaques has been cut from the champions trophy squad, so I wouldnt bet on him being a regular in the team for this series.

How much more does the guy have to do to prove himself?

The way he is being treated is an absolubte disgrace.

Makes no sense to pick him for this series really. I'm sure he'll get a chance to show what he can do but won't make any difference. They should have picked the squad after this series if they could.

It isn't advertised in the sky watch as being on, so I guess not. :(

We get the england games and any games/tournaments with NZ in them. Thats about it. At least we get some england games I guess.

I think Katich slow approach in the ODI's will eventually mean he will lose his place. And I really would have like to seen a Hayden-Langer in the ODI's as well, but I don't think that will happen. And Langer can hit quick runs, like he has shown in County Cricket.

Hayden would be hard pressed to win back his place let alone Langer. Jaques and Cosgrove would be ahead of Langer I would think.

Katich won't be dropped anytime soon as we have scored a number of high totals with him there including that 434 so not much chance of the selectors dropping him.

The only reason i can think of why the selectors have shown such a reluctance to open the one-day innings with both Gilchrist and Jaques is that they play a very similar game. Maybe they're looking for two contrasting styles to compliment one another?...and Katich is basically the opposite of Gilchrist with regards to technique, style and aggression.

Users who are viewing this thread