ODI Tri-Series (Malaysia)

Aussie squad

Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Hussey, Nathan Bracken, Andrew Symonds, Mark Cosgrove, Daniel Cullen, Stuart Clark, Michael Clarke, Brad Haddin, Matthew Hayden, Brad Hogg, Phil Jaques, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Damien Martyn, Glenn McGrath, Shane Watson.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20212355-23212,00.html

In the article it says Jaques, Katich and Hayden will share the opening gig. At last Jaques gets a chance to show who is the better opener. Looks like Cosgrove will be in the middle order. Can't believe they left Tait out of the bowling lineup this would have been the perfect time to see what hes got.

Shame, Shaun Tait not in the side. He is a bowler, like Brett Lee, that can change the course of a match in moments.

Spot on don't know why he isn't there. Will be interesting seeing how Johnson goes, he did well in the top end series. And of course it'll be interesting seeing how Hayden responds to being promoted back into the ODI team.

My eleven:

Matthew Hayden
Phil Jaques
Ricky Ponting (captain)
Michael Clarke
Andrew Symonds
Michael Hussey
Brad Haddin
Brett Lee
Brad Hogg
Nathan Bracken
Glenn McGrath

12th Man: Mark Cosgrove

Seems pretty well balanced.

Katich could open instead of Hayden but I just don't like Katiches conversion rate, doesn't really make good use of the power plays either, sometimes is too slow at the other end which is good with Gilchrist at the other end but at the same time leaves it all up to him. I think its important Jacques is used as one of them. Eapecially for World Cup preparation.

I think Martyn's days may be numbered. I picked Clarke over him for the fielding aspect and bowling aspect. Cosgrove could come in for him too perhaps. That wouldn't surprise me.

I really want to see good ol Matthew Hayden carve the opening bowlers again, but not to the extent that it results in India losing a match :P

irottev said:
My eleven:

Matthew Hayden
Phil Jaques
Ricky Ponting (captain)
Michael Clarke
Andrew Symonds
Michael Hussey
Brad Haddin
Brett Lee
Brad Hogg
Nathan Bracken
Glenn McGrath

12th Man: Mark Cosgrove

Seems pretty well balanced.

Katich could open instead of Hayden but I just don't like Katiches conversion rate, doesn't really make good use of the power plays either, sometimes is too slow at the other end which is good with Gilchrist at the other end but at the same time leaves it all up to him. I think its important Jacques is used as one of them. Eapecially for World Cup preparation.

I think Martyn's days may be numbered. I picked Clarke over him for the fielding aspect and bowling aspect. Cosgrove could come in for him too perhaps. That wouldn't surprise me.

Pretty good 11 that. The selectors will rotate a fair bit as that squad I posted will be trimmed down. I'd like to see what Watson can do as he always manages to get wickets in ODIs.

Good decision by the Aussies to leave Gilchrist out, as it allows the other four to compete, whereas if Gilchrist was playing, only one of them would get to open, if you know what I mean.

Plus it gives Haddin a chance to get some ODIs under his belt. Cosgrove looks set for the middle order with the return of Hayden but he bats well in any position.

aussie1st said:
It's been a long time since I saw the Aussies playing cricket. Can't wait for this one, will be interesting seeing what type of side we send over.
Its same for us Indians also.It will be good to see India-Australia matches.

aussie1st said:
Plus it gives Haddin a chance to get some ODIs under his belt. Cosgrove looks set for the middle order with the return of Hayden but he bats well in any position.
I think Cosgrove, batting wise, is as close a One Dayer player to Gilchrist that Australia have got. If he thinks he can hit it, he just swings through it, which is wonderfully simple. Hayden can do that, but he takes a while to get going, same as Jaques. Katich is just there to steady the ship I think.

MUFC1987 said:
I think Cosgrove, batting wise, is as close a One Dayer player to Gilchrist that Australia have got. If he thinks he can hit it, he just swings through it, which is wonderfully simple. Hayden can do that, but he takes a while to get going, same as Jaques. Katich is just there to steady the ship I think.

I like Katich, a player like him should be there in an ODI team. But then again, my batting style is like Katich, so I might be a little bias ;)

I can't wait for this series, especially after the Sri Lanka nightmare series...I was so bloody frustrated!

MUFC1987 said:

I would agree there although Jaques looks to be more of a free flowing scorer than Hayden but not in the mould of Gilly. We have a keeper called Ronchi who is just as explosive as Gilchrist but he hasn't been anywhere near consistent.

Thats the first I heard of it, he played in the top end series and I can't remember an injury being picked up there.

Users who are viewing this thread