Overall Internet Security Suites

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have done some research and it appears that 'Kaspersky Internet Security' comes out on top as far as paid security is concerned. Has anyone here got that package?

I'm not sure about freeware stuff anymore, as from time to time, viruses appear in things that I've downloaded quite a long time ago - but the AV didn't originally pick them up when it was first downloaded. I have more than one Anti malware package, but I think paying a few quid a year is worth it for complete Internet security.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: Any suggestions for a Internet Security Suite are welcome - many of them can be had for less than ?20 at play.com, so it's not much to pay for security - and it eliminates the need for several packages running at once that could cause conflicts. I like the sound of Webroot's 'Window Washer' feature though - does Kaspersky feature something similar?

I am using it currently. Have 3 computer license and when formatted one of my computer it would not accept the key for it :p

I was not bothered to contact them as I have 3 PC license of McAfee as well.

As for KIS, I have not encountered any issues with system slow up or any virus or trojan sneaking through.

I use AVG on my PC, Microsoft Security Essentials on my parents PC and nothing on my macbook. Used to have mcAfee though.

Chewie added 0 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

I've heard that out of the paid anti-virus that Kaspersky and nod32 are the best though. NOt sure about internet security suites though.

Do you visit dangerous sites (or unusual/pecuilar websites and domains) often? You might not actually need an Internet security, you might be fine with a paid anti-virus. NOD32 is awesome. I have been using it for the past 3+ years now. Feel very safe with it. It detects notorious sites with its real time system protection and cleans the infected files efficiently (either immediately or on reboot).

I have been McAfee loyal for over a decade now and just started using KIS with Windows 7 as I heard good things about it and it hardy costed anything also.

SciD added 2 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Do you visit dangerous sites (or unusual/pecuilar websites and domains) often? You might not actually need an Internet security, you might be fine with a paid anti-virus. NOD32 is awesome. I have been using it for the past 3+ years now. Feel very safe with it. It detects notorious sites with its real time system protection and cleans the infected files efficiently (either immediately or on reboot).

You don't need paid stuff to detect that. McAfee site advisor is free for use

I've been using Kaspersky for a long time and its very good although it is annoying at times.

I have been McAfee loyal for over a decade now and just started using KIS with Windows 7 as I heard good things about it and it hardy costed anything also.

SciD added 2 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

You don't need paid stuff to detect that. McAfee site advisor is free for use

Does it alert you when you have a program on your PC thats infected? Its not just about sites, it has real time system protection that efficiently (or very close to) detects infected programs and threats. Also with a paid program, the definitions of viruses would be more comprehensive and effective.

There are some programs which can scan the anti social elements in your computer but will not remove them. For that you need the real deal. :p

Till now I have been lucky since my experience with using computers for last 15 years. Only 1 time my system was infected with Sasser virus.

Of course when you are downloading stuff from net and in past used to share floppy disks some annoying virus were found but they were not high risk.

Could you explain the difference to me please? Kaspersky's Internet Security Suite is at play.com for around ?20. I don't want to have to get something to cover adware/spyware and so on as well. Generally, I keep to safe sites, but there are other people using the computer, so I can't speak for them. Of course, I want a suite with the least performance hit as well. I've heard some of them have a 'gaming' mode - does that make the system less secure?

I've been using Kaspersky for a long time and its very good although it is annoying at times.

In what way is it annoying?

Does it alert you when you have a program on your PC thats infected? Its not just about sites, it has real time system protection that efficiently (or very close to) detects infected programs and threats. Also with a paid program, the definitions of viruses would be more comprehensive and effective.

True - linkscanners, although very useful, can't do anything about viruses already on the PC.

In what way is it annoying?

It detects things which aren't viruses as viruses. Eg- It detected AC09 as a virus and then whenever I played it gave annoying pop up messages. But it doesn't detect all games as viruses just a few.

It detects things which aren't viruses as viruses. Eg- It detected AC09 as a virus and then whenever I played it gave annoying pop up messages. But it doesn't detect all games as viruses just a few.

Hmmm, yeah that is annoying. I think all AV software has a few false-positives every now and then though.

fearsome tweak the anti-virus. Go for combofix, it's free and do all the task which anti virus can't. I haven't install any antivirus since more than year :p

Since you are looking for internet security suite then there is none other than Kaspersky. I had 1 year licensed copy last year and my PC remained safe without any virus. It's the best anti-virus from my experience. I haven't tried 2010 version though.

fling the anti-virus. Go for combofix, it's free and do all the task which anti virus can't. I haven't install any antivirus since more than year :p

Since you are looking for internet security suite then there is none other than Kaspersky. I had 1 year licensed copy last year and my PC remained safe without any virus. It's the best anti-virus from my experience. I haven't tried 2010 version though.

To clarify, an Internet Security Suite not only detects/kills viruses, but also does the combined jobs of Spybot and Adaware, anti spam, anti everything basically, as well as coming with a firewall?

Steve, I use NOD32 on both of my Windows 7 machines. It's brilliant, it runs without any noticeable performance issues, I've never had a virus in about 7 years worth of licenses. I'd strongly recommend it. I don't use the Smart Security, Win7 firewall is more than adequate from what I've found, seeing as ZoneAlarm doesn't work well with Win7. If you want anti-spam and firewall, then get the Smart Security suite from Eset (who make NOD32), it's an extra tenner. NOD32 has anti-spyware protection as well as virus.

Steve, I use NOD32 on both of my Windows 7 machines. It's brilliant, it runs without any noticeable performance issues, I've never had a virus in about 7 years worth of licenses. I'd strongly recommend it. I don't use the Smart Security, Win7 firewall is more than adequate from what I've found, seeing as ZoneAlarm doesn't work well with Win7. If you want anti-spam and firewall, then get the Smart Security suite from Eset (who make NOD32), it's an extra tenner. NOD32 has anti-spyware protection as well as virus.

Thanks for your input. :) I haven't had any problems with Zone Alarm firewall on Win 7 - what's been happening for you?

Users who are viewing this thread