Overrated and Underrated Test XI

piriyanth

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Overrated XI
1)V.Sehwag
2)Kamran Akmal
3)Hasim Amla
4)J.P Duminy-Some people were saying that he's going to be the next Ricky Ponting.:facepalm
5)Ian Bell
6)Marcus North
7)Sahid Afridi
8)Stuart Broad
9)Kemar Roach
10)Danish Kaneria
11)Mohammad Aaif

Underrated XI
1)Simon Katich
2)Tamim Iqbal
3)Rahul Dravid
4)Mahela Jayawardene
5)Kumar Sangakarra
6)Abdul Razzaq
7)Dwayne Bravo
8)Irfan Pathan-As an all-rounder,he's underrated
9)Graeme Swann
10)Peter Siddle
11)M.Aamer

TumTum

International Cricketer
Overrated XI
1)V.Sehwag
2)Kamran Akmal
3)Hasim Amla
4)J.P Duminy-Some people were saying that he's going to be the next Ricky Ponting.:facepalm
5)Ian Bell
6)Marcus North
7)Sahid Afridi
8)Stuart Broad
9)Kemar Roach
10)Danish Kaneria
11)Mohammad Aaif

Underrated XI
1)Simon Katich
2)Tamim Iqbal
3)Rahul Dravid
4)Mahela Jayawardene
5)Kumar Sangakarra
6)Abdul Razzaq
7)Dwayne Bravo
8)Irfan Pathan-As an all-rounder,he's underrated
9)Graeme Swann
10)Peter Siddle
11)M.Aamer

Like it. It was Ian Chappell btw who said that about JP.

P

pcfan123

Afridi does not play Tests anymore but I agree, the most overrated cricketer in history. Also a liar and a cheat

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
good thread, but I think it's a bit unfair on mohammad yousuf who is probably the under-rated batsman of the 00s. course, he's not current, soooo...

over-rated

Gayle - flat track slogger, average in tests, gets treated like he's one of the elite openers.
hughes - is not the messiah
pietersen - neither is he
clarke, maybe. - not overall, but skill at playing spin is exagerated
chanderpaul - is very good, but not as good as made out, is not one of the best batsmen in the world, is also going downhill.
guptil (sorry) - is just another poor NZ batsman.
prasanna jayawardene - is not as good a wicketkeeper as he's made out to be, i sometimes thing people think, 'oh, he's ████ with the bat, he must be getting picked because he's awesome with the gloves.'
Broad - is awful, gets treated like he's next mcgrath
fidel edwards - is just fast, no real accuracy, is worse than tait in truth.
brett lee - i know this is totally unpopular to say, and he may have finished his test career, but he's am average test bowler that had one good summer when mcgrath and warne retired and seemed to just assume their reputation
spinner?

no spinners are over-rated, they're all horribley expected to be the next murali or warne when that's impossible. Even mendis' stock fell when he couldn't maintain the expectations from his first series.

under-rated

Cook - consistently sees off the new ball even when his scores are poorish, gets way too much criticism for slow scoring
Dowlin - gritty and determined, unlike any WI player, yet most windies fans would soon see the back of him so they can get in a 20 year old.
jayawardene - should be considered one of the best players, is considered a FTB
Collingwood - how many tests must he save to be considered one of englands best players?
ashwell prince - should not have been dropped for duminy, it's scandelous.
Nash - one of the windies best batsmen
North - seems to make scored when it matters, yet has place under threat.
Prior - could play for several teams on the strength of his batting and is better with gloves now
Morkel - a brilliant bruiser of a bowler, massive potential, gets left in steyns shadow
Mohammad Sami - should be in pakistans team instead of Gul, test average of 50 shouldn't matter if you improve and comeback better.
Onions - should have been playing in place of Broad for over a year
Mishra - gorgeous action, should be ahead of harbhajan in the indian team, best legspinner in the world

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
good thread, but I think it's a bit unfair on mohammad yousuf who is probably the under-rated batsman of the 00s. course, he's not current, soooo...

over-rated

Gayle - flat track slogger, average in tests, gets treated like he's one of the elite openers.
hughes - is not the messiah
pietersen - neither is he
clarke, maybe. - not overall, but skill at playing spin is exagerated
chanderpaul - is very good, but not as good as made out, is not one of the best batsmen in the world, is also going downhill.
guptil (sorry) - is just another poor NZ batsman.
prasanna jayawardene - is not as good a wicketkeeper as he's made out to be, i sometimes thing people think, 'oh, he's ████ with the bat, he must be getting picked because he's awesome with the gloves.'
Broad - is awful, gets treated like he's next mcgrath
fidel edwards - is just fast, no real accuracy, is worse than tait in truth.
brett lee - i know this is totally unpopular to say, and he may have finished his test career, but he's am average test bowler that had one good summer when mcgrath and warne retired and seemed to just assume their reputation
spinner?

no spinners are over-rated, they're all horribley expected to be the next murali or warne when that's impossible. Even mendis' stock fell when he couldn't maintain the expectations from his first series.

under-rated

Cook - consistently sees off the new ball even when his scores are poorish, gets way too much criticism for slow scoring
Dowlin - gritty and determined, unlike any WI player, yet most windies fans would soon see the back of him so they can get in a 20 year old.
jayawardene - should be considered one of the best players, is considered a FTB
Collingwood - how many tests must he save to be considered one of englands best players?
ashwell prince - should not have been dropped for duminy, it's scandelous.
Nash - one of the windies best batsmen
North - seems to make scored when it matters, yet has place under threat.
Prior - could play for several teams on the strength of his batting and is better with gloves now
Morkel - a brilliant bruiser of a bowler, massive potential, gets left in steyns shadow
Mohammad Sami - should be in pakistans team instead of Gul, test average of 50 shouldn't matter if you improve and comeback better.
Onions - should have been playing in place of Broad for over a year
Mishra - gorgeous action, should be ahead of harbhajan in the indian team, best legspinner in the world

Man I respect your opinion and you do know allot about cricket but you go and call Broad, Edwards, Lee overrated and then put Sami as underrated?? That has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen in a while. Sami is garbage at its best, if the wicket isn't green and a pace bowlers paradise he is useless as was shown in his performance in Australia.

Gayle averages 50 in Australia, 36 in England, 67 in New Zealand, 54 in South Africa and he actually struggles in the subcontinent where the ball doesn't come onto the bat. Much more then a flat track bully, that might have been Gayle of old but these days he is a much improved batsman as shown by his 165* in Australia and 197 in New Zealand.
When people on these forums make test XIs I hardly see Gayle as the opener.

Dare added 1 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Overrated XI
1)V.Sehwag
2)Kamran Akmal
3)Hasim Amla
5)Ian Bell
6)Marcus North
7)Sahid Afridi
8)Stuart Broad
9)Kemar Roach
10)Danish Kaneria
11)Mohammad Aaif

How is Asif overrated.

P

pcfan123

For real, I even put him as under-rated since he hardly gets mentioned when talking about todays good fast bowlers.

He is the closest to Glenn Mcgrath in international cricket right now. Accurate and movement off the seam.

@ Stinky

Jayawardena is way more of FTB than Gayle

EDIT: Nash in all but one of the under-rated teams so far, why the flinging hell does he not get a go in the ODI side :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Overrated XI

1. V. Sehwag
2. P. Hughes
3. Y. Khan
4. M. Ashraful
5. Y. Singh
6. JP Duminy
7. D. Bravo
8. S. Broad
9. H. Singh
10. Z. Khan
11. I. Sharma

No keepers are really overrated IMO, so I just left one out.

Underrated XI

1. S. Katich
2. G. Gambhir
3. R. Dravid
4. R. Taylor
5. T. Samarawerra
6. D. Vettori (His batting)
7. Again IMO all keepers are rated just right.
8. G. Swann
9. K. Mills (More ODI's)
10. N. Kulasekara (More ODI's)
11. M. Asif

I can't agree with you guys that Brendan Nash is underrated...

There's just so many players, it's hard to really stick them into XI player's.
I pretty much agree with most of StinkyBoHoon's list.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Guys lets get some facts straight. "Over-rated" means someone that is hyped up much more than their stats suggest and vice-versa for "Under-rated".

Examples:

- Hughes is performing with the hype, hence definitely not Over-rated.
- Vettori is someone who's stats are nowhere near the amount of accolades he receives.
- Nobody rates Nash, maybe thats because he hasn't achieved much at all?

OH BTW Stinky, your Over-rated XI will so easily thrash your Under-rated XI.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Michael Clarke as overrated. Wow.

Will throw in a team soon. Chris Gayle very much underrated imo.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Guys lets get some facts straight. "Over-rated" means someone that is hyped up much more than their stats suggest and vice-versa for "Under-rated".

Examples:

- Hughes is performing with the hype, hence definitely not Over-rated.
- Vettori is someone who's stats are nowhere near the amount of accolades he receives.
- Nobody rates Nash, maybe thats because he hasn't achieved much at all?

OH BTW Stinky, your Over-rated XI will so easily thrash your Under-rated XI.

Some of us mentioned Nash because of the things he does for the West Indies middle order. He has brought some sort of stability and professionalism to the team and isn't the typical all flair no grit West Indies batsman.
Also being underrated or overrated doesn't go on stats alone.
Hughes isn't performing with the hype because he is barely playing, he cant crack the team unless there is a injury.

P

pcfan123

No point in arguing anything about Hughes with TumTum, he is worse than Sachin fans

irottev

School Cricketer
Overrated seems more fun so

1. Dilshan
2. Hughes (though I guess it's only TumTum who actually rates him)
3. Pietersen (Good player, but does get a bit overhyped)
4. Mohommad Yousuf
5. JP Duminy
6. Brad Haddin (wk)
7. Dwayne Bravo (Crap bowler, crap batsman though produces the odd good knock)
8. Shakib Al Hasan (Can't bowl for ████ IMO though his batting is good)
9. Mendis (Massively overhyped)
10. Broad (Pretty ████ player tbh)
11. Siddle (Horrible bowler made to look good against bad sides, Aussies better off with him injured)

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Underrated...

Dravid, Gambhir, Vettori, Ajmal, Bollinger, Mushfiqur Rahim, Shakib...

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Dravid is pretty much the captain and face of the underrated XI.

Wouldn't call Sehwag overrated tbh. He deserves the attention he has been getting recently. He has performances to back it up.

How is Dravid under rated? Everyone knows he is sheer class and is a true Legend of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread