Pakistan in South Africa

Good effort but still, 199 shouldn't be out of reach for this fairly long South African batting lineup. Pakistan if they lose will have their first innings being 50-100 runs short to blame.

puddleduck said:
Good effort but still, 199 shouldn't be out of reach for this fairly long South African batting lineup. Pakistan if they lose will have their first innings being 50-100 runs short to blame.

I think though that the Pakistan bowling attack are a different kettle of fish from India's bowling in the 4th innings at Cape Town. They're at their most dangerous defending low totals (traditionally). However, they will miss Shoaib's swing at fast pace now more than ever. Kaneria, Asif and Rana Naved will have to really bowl well now.

rarmstro said:
This will be an interesting investigation. Firstly, the f-word may draw some attention but I tend to disagree. It is fairly common and generally regarded in legal circles (in Australia at least) as colloquial. Court cases have found that if you call a politician or police officer an f-something, you seem to no longer be guilty of offensive language.

In regards the Paki comment, it is my understanding that it is deemed racist in the UK but I am not sure where else. In Australia, if I sledged someone "you Paki", I would probably get a confused look as they are likely to be Indian or Sri Lankan. There are certain words to describe people, from what we refer to the sub-continent, that are deemed racist but I shall not mention them here. But it refers to their perceived diet.

We have television commercials that call the English "Poms" and the New Zealanders "Kiwis". It is my understanding that Pom tends to be a derogative description whereas Kiwi is not. Where does racism start or stop. Color, religion - Yes. Country of origin??? Not where I am from. You can call me an Aussie, a skip, a convict, whatever, no effect. You decide.

I'll wait and see the rest of the quote.

Cheers

From what I understand, the term Paki is much more offensive in the UK than Australia.

In Australia it is just a way of not having to say the whole name, much like Lankans, Bangers, Kiwis, Poms, Saffies, Windies etc.

harishankar said:
Umpiring is substandard as usual. Wonder when that old goat Steve Bucknor is going to retire gracefully.

Bucknor is a fine umpire. There was a stage where he was at his worst (India/Aus 2004), but over the last couple of years he has been one of the top three umpires along with Koertzen and Taufel.

Every umpire has some poor decisions, Koertzen had a shocker in the fifth Ashes test, I guess that's part of being human. :p

I'd rate the top five umpires as;

Koertzen
Taufel
Bucknor
Hair
Asad Rauf (despite the poor decision with White yesterday)

I think I've missed someone (not Aleem Dar, he's rubbish).

harishankar said:
I think though that the Pakistan bowling attack are a different kettle of fish from India's bowling in the 4th innings at Cape Town. They're at their most dangerous defending low totals (traditionally). However, they will miss Shoaib's swing at fast pace now more than ever. Kaneria, Asif and Rana Naved will have to really bowl well now.

Yep, but still I feel 199 is a good 50-100 runs short, it's often a mental thing with chasing and up to an extra 100 runs I feel would have put the South Africans under more pressure from the start.

Also Mongrel you are right it is only really in England where the term "Paki" is particularly offensive, and that is unfortunately down to the scummy racist chaps of the past decades who felt that the term was in itself a derogatory term.

Koertzen
Taufel

Bucknor
Hair

Asad Rauf (despite the poor decision with White yesterday)

Bucknor and Hair are clearly past their best and need to retire while still retaining some degree of respect. I doubt whether Hair will get any assignments involving sub-continent teams any more as he's had way too much controversies with them over the years. I haven't seen enough of Asad Rauf, but I have to disagree with you on Bucknor. Bucknor does give some horrendous decisions regularly and for a "top" umpire, that's just not good enough these days... It's how selectively blind one is to those decisions when you assess him.

Green = agree
Red = disagree
Grey = doubtful

As for this match itself, it's a prime example of how bad umpiring can really affect the momentum of the match. Whether we like it or not... or acknowledge it or not, it affects the game. Had Ashwell prince been correctly given out (instead of not-out) SA may well be only a few runs in the lead and the match would be completely different now.

Last edited:
And had Pakistan batted better in their first and second innings then they would be in a good position :rolleyes:

All this umpire bashing is getting on my friggin' nerves. Stop whingeing about umpires and concentrate on your team. The batting and back-up bowling has been poor and that's why you are on your way to defeat in this game.

harishankar said:
Bucknor and Hair are clearly past their best and need to retire while still retaining some degree of respect. I doubt whether Hair will get any assignments involving sub-continent teams any more as he's had way too much controversies with them over the years. I haven't seen enough of Asad Rauf, but I have to disagree with you on Bucknor. Bucknor does give some horrendous decisions regularly and for a "top" umpire, that's just not good enough these days... It's how selectively blind one is to those decisions when you assess him.

Green = agree
Red = disagree
Grey = doubtful

As for this match itself, it's a prime example of how bad umpiring can really affect the momentum of the match. Whether we like it or not... or acknowledge it or not, it affects the game. Had Ashwell prince been correctly given out (instead of not-out) SA may well be only a few runs in the lead and the match would be completely different now.

Fact is, Bucknor had a tremendous Ashes series (I think it was the Ashes series) and has improved. He gave some brilliant calls.

The worst umpire in the world on the elite panel is, as Billy Birmingham put it, Billy 'Look at me!' Bowden.

See, Steve proves me right! :p

evertonfan said:
All this umpire bashing is getting on my friggin' nerves. Stop whingeing about umpires and concentrate on your team. The batting and back-up bowling has been poor and that's why you are on your way to defeat in this game.
Which umpire wouldnt give a yorker hitting the boot in front of middle stump not out?

An umpire who's having a bad game maybe? Umpires aren't superhearoes you know; They do make mistakes. But oh no, people like you immediatley think they are doing it on purpose. Grow up Gambino, stop using umpires as a source of laying the blame just because you don't want to abuse your own players.

I haven't critiscised or abused any Pakistani player here. Maybe you just seem intent on believeing that every person in existence is anti-Pakistan.

evertonfan said:
I haven't critiscised or abused any Pakistani player here. Maybe you just seem intent on believeing that every person in existence is anti-Pakistan.
i didnt say pakistani player
i leave bashing your own players to you

Argh there's no point arguing with you; You seem incapable of logical discussion.

I notice how you haven't responded to my comment about umpires not always being right because you still want to believe that they are against you.

Users who are viewing this thread