Pakistan in South Africa

o well Kaneria didnt do much in this test, im gona say that Pakistan have been giving him enough chances to proove himself, myabe they should put in his coach (mushy) instead of him. Abdur Rehamn the left arm spinner should get a chance in tests, he prooved himself in ODIs. hopefully Gul can come back for the next test, i know that Shoaib has to play because other than Asif nobody else did anything.

Shoaib, Asif, Gul & Saqlain would probably be the most deadly bowling attack in the world now that McGrath & Warne have retired.
I'd rather have Mushtaq in their over Kaneria. I saw his doorsa on youtube to Adam Gilchrist when he was at his best (77 off 44) and absolutely decieved Gilchrist & made the most destructive batsman in world cricket look like a fool.
Asif has the has allot of potential aswell. He could be the next Glenn McGrath.

gambino said:
well least he didnt throw a brick in the crowd like roy

Who is roy? Symonds

wfdu_ben91 said:
Shoaib, Asif, Gul & Saqlain would probably be the most deadly bowling attack in the world now that McGrath & Warne have retired.
I'd rather have Mushtaq in their over Kaneria. I saw his doorsa on youtube to Adam Gilchrist when he was at his best (77 off 44) and absolutely decieved Gilchrist & made the most destructive batsman in world cricket look like a fool.

An leg spinner is always going to be preffered over an off spinner .Saqlain
is past his best pakistan should continue with kaneria he is improving and is young .

wfdu_ben91 said:

Asif has to increase his pace he was bowling at 120-125 with the new Ball
on flat pitches he is going to struggle and also on helpful pitches he is not not able to run through the opposition when the ball gets old so if he increases his pace to 130-135 he is going to be handful under any conditions like gul who is perfect if he does not get injured.

Last edited:
Swings and round-abouts. Kind of reminds me of the Hashim Amla situation a few months ago.

Cricket_god said:

So? Have you ever heard of that guy who never used to bowl at more than 84mph with the new ball? McGrath I think he was called. He ended up with more than 550 Test match wickets.

Pace isn't everything you know.

Asif bows in the mid 80s most of the time, moves the ball greatly. also i might get ripped by some of you for this, but i would rathe have Afridi in there than Iqbal. Iqbal made 1 and 9 which is absolutely horible for a batsman that is #6, Afridi or someone else should replace him all tho i think that he will be droped for Yousuf in the 2nd test.

No, you should get a proper batsman to replace him like Hameed or someone like that.

Yousuf is back anyway though so it doesn't matter. For the good of Pakistan Test cricket, Afridi should stay away for good until he learns how to play properly.

not a very great match for Pakistan this year...mind you it was there first...lol...when Harris got out i saw a glimmer of hope but than Kallis and Amla survived some good shouts and balls to guide SA home...but Pakistan will probably be at their best in the next match with Akhtar, Yousuf and Gul all returning and i think Nazir, Iqbal and Rana will be going out...

SA just too good in the end and their middle/lower order has found some good form it seems.
Next match should be much better for Pakistan with all their stars returning.

"Cricket has a zero tolerance of racism"

Gibbs banned for Two tests.

Nice to see the ICC sticking to their oxymorons as usual.

As for the game, cracking game of Cricket and the Pakistani tailenders made for great viewing yesterday. Good game of cricket.

I feel sorry for Nazir and Rana, its not that they were bowling terrible, and they kinda saved our butts from total defeat with the bat.

well yea but only Asif looked dangerous out there, Kaneria worked his ass of and didnt get much for it. is there defnite word that Gul will be back because when he got hurt i read somewhere that he might out for the 2nd test too.

Cricket_god said:
An leg spinner is always going to be preffered over an off spinner .Saqlain
is past his best pakistan should continue with kaneria he is improving and is young .
Saqlain could still play on for another 5 or 6 years like Warney did. His a much better spinner then Kaneria and has brilliant stats for a spin bowler. Playing Kaneria over Saqlain could be the difference of Pakistan being the best Test Team in the world or not.
As a spin bowler this is when he should be coming into his own.

on flat pitches he is going to struggle and also on helpful pitches he is not not able to run through the opposition when the ball gets old so if he increases his pace to 130-135 he is going to be handful under any conditions like gul who is perfect if he does not get injured.
His pace is fine, he seems to be a pretty clever bowler as well. He owned Kevin Pietersen when bowling to him (got him out 3 times while only going for acouple of runs) who in acouple of years will be considered one of the best batsman ever and is someone who destroyed Brett Lee's 155kph bouncers in 2005. Pace is a good asset but if you've got the brains and the skill you can be better.

The future looks nothing but bright for Pakistan.

Last edited:
evertonfan said:
So? Have you ever heard of that guy who never used to bowl at more than 84mph with the new ball? McGrath I think he was called. He ended up with more than 550 Test match wickets.

Pace isn't everything you know.

84 mph is what asif has to bowl mcgrath bowled for most of his career at 135-140 and still now bowls 130-135 so if asif can do that he will be handful.
I do not think you have watched mcgrath in his earlier days.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Saqlain could still play on for another 5 or 6 years like Warney did. His a much better spinner then Kaneria and has brilliant stats for a spin bowler. Playing Kaneria over Saqlain could be the difference of Pakistan being the best Test Team in the world or not.
As a spin bowler this is when he should be coming into his own.

His pace is fine, he seems to be a pretty clever bowler as well. He owned Kevin Pietersen when bowling to him (got him out 3 times while only going for acouple of runs) who in acouple of years will be considered one of the best batsman ever and is someone who destroyed Brett Lee's 155kph bouncers in 2005. Pace is a good asset but if you've got the brains and the skill you can be better.

The future looks nothing but bright for Pakistan.

Leg spinners can be effective on most surfaces while off spinners just come in to play on day 5 so i do not think saqlain has any more cricket in him .

He was boiwling at 135 duringthe indian tour his pace has decreased now i think he has not bowled so it might be the problem and those who say pace is not important understand that on flat pitches even you beat the batsman with swing if as imran khan says you do not have the air speed then the batsman can adjust so a bowler if he has to be world class has to bowl over 130 kmph or 80 miles p/h to be effective world wide.

His speed is fine and good enough to beat the batsman through the air and on a flat pitch it would swing if it's pitched up because the pitch doesn't determine how fast you're bowling.

How can you justify off spinners not being effective til day 5? What about Murali? And the fact that Saqlain has a better average & strike-rate?

Users who are viewing this thread