Pakistan in South Africa

gambino said:
they need his pace and if allowed to go back to his full run up and speed he can be handful

younis let him go back in a spell to his full run up and he made kp jump everywhere

they dont need his pace they already have enough of it. Shoaib with all his injuries and being out of shape can still bowl it in the mid 90s and Gul can get up to 87-88, with Shoaib providing the pace and Gul and Asif swinging the ball they dont need another fast bowler that cant even move the ball as much as Shoaib. Samis top speed is 91 and without considerable swing he cant do much damage, and with Anwar(the under 19 pace bowler) waiting for his chance im afraid sami doesnt have much suporting him other than Imran.

puddleduck said:
I think we need to see them up against Australia to see where they truely are. With the Aussies going to be without some of their world class players of the last decade when they meet, nothing less than a win from Pakistan will convince me that they are in position to take that mantle.

Their problems at the moment are still that their opening partnership doesn't get consistently good starts, whilst their middle order if missing one of the big three can crack. Inzy's form also seems to be dipping whilst Yousuf is rising, so they have almost replaced each other. The bowling attack certainly looks good on paper, but I feel it needs Shoaib, and it needs Kaneria (or any other spinner) to step up and start performing, as without those two the backup is not world class (possibly is in Saqlain and Mushys case but until they play at test level again, who knows)

Finally Akmal, whilst a year and a half ago he looked the brightest wicket keeper batsman around, in the last year his form with the bat has been average at best, whilst his keeping has been even worse than that, I hope he refinds his early form and comes back a stronger player, because he certainly seemed to have the talent.

To be the no 1 team you have to win worldwide but with the quality of openers pakistan are having i do not see them getting enough good starts
which will put tremendous pressure on the middle order.Also there bowling might look good on paper but shoaib and asif bans are still pending so i reserve my judgements still then.

Dare said:
they dont need his pace they already have enough of it. Shoaib with all his injuries and being out of shape can still bowl it in the mid 90s and Gul can get up to 87-88, with Shoaib providing the pace and Gul and Asif swinging the ball they dont need another fast bowler that cant even move the ball as much as Shoaib. Samis top speed is 91 and without considerable swing he cant do much damage, and with Anwar(the under 19 pace bowler) waiting for his chance im afraid sami doesnt have much suporting him other than Imran.

Sami impressed me with the spell he bowled on a dustbowl in india on the last day.i think he bowls quickly with out any real effort so he has less chance of injuries he will improve some cricketers mature late.

Cricket_god said:
Sami impressed me with the spell he bowled on a dustbowl in india on the last day.i think he bowls quickly with out any real effort so he has less chance of injuries he will improve some cricketers mature late.

So how long ago was that?

Sami has lost pace and accuracy over time and unless he can improve that in First Class Cricket then he won't be getting back into Pakistan's side for a while.

RoboRocks said:
So how long ago was that?

Sami has lost pace and accuracy over time and unless he can improve that in First Class Cricket then he won't be getting back into Pakistan's side for a while.
2005 march

he got upto 90mph 93 mph in england which i have mentioend his over to pieterson

Can he keep that pace match over match?
Not at the moment.
His accuracy is still wayward pace or no pace.
Evertonfan made the point that averaging 47 for a fast bowler with the new ball is shocking considering he was a prospect 3-4 years ago.

gambino said:
2005 march

he got upto 90mph 93 mph in england which i have mentioend his over to pieterson

So what if he bowled one good over. Harmison bowled good overs last year but that still doesn't mean that he was overall success.

RoboRocks said:
Evertonfan made the point that averaging 47 for a fast bowler with the new ball is shocking

It essentially means he's a worse test match bowler than Ashley Giles! Since he's not as good a batsman or fielder as Gilo, he is officially a worse test match cricketer than Giles!

gambino said:
2005 march

Not sure which over you're talking about to be honest. From what I remember KP was being KP and swinging his bat at everything outside the off-stump and nicked one of Sami's deliveries back to the keeper. Was there something before then?

Yes NP, I believe there was an over.... and it's singular overs that win you test matches :p

nightprowler10 said:
Not sure which over you're talking about to be honest. From what I remember KP was being KP and swinging his bat at everything outside the off-stump and nicked one of Sami's deliveries back to the keeper. Was there something before then?

I think he's reffering to the one at Old Trafford when there was about 6/7 overs left in the day and it was getting gloomy. Pietersen had already hit a few boundaries until a ball from Sami roared into Pietersen's chest.

Oh I remember now.
Made a 100 in that innings didn't he.
Sami didn't seem to be causing him too many problems there either :rolleyes:

evertonfan said:
I think he's reffering to the one at Old Trafford when there was about 6/7 overs left in the day and it was getting gloomy. Pietersen had already hit a few boundaries until a ball from Sami roared into Pietersen's chest.
Nah, he said 2005. He's talking about the Multan test as Sami only played in that one last winter.

nightprowler10 said:
Nah, he said 2005. He's talking about the Multan test as Sami only played in that one last winter.

Ah I didn't see that. I don't what your talking about though; England didn't play at Multan in 2005 and we certainly didn't lose by a small margin chasing 200 thanks to an inspired Akhtar. :spy

Users who are viewing this thread