• No!

Votes: 31 25.2%

• Total voters

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
What is department cricket?
They basically have teams that are run by banks, other private companies and entities like the Water and Power Authority. There are some regional/city sides too. The players would be employed by them and play for them.

I think it's similar to Services and Railways in India or the set ups they have in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

It was what was in place before they reduced it down to the six regional sides in 2019.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
They basically have teams that are run by banks, other private companies and entities like the Water and Power Authority. There are some regional/city sides too. The players would be employed by them and play for them.

I think it's similar to Services and Railways in India or the set ups they have in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

It was what was in place before they reduced it down to the six regional sides in 2019.
So what am I Not understanding? How does it hurt Pakistan domestic?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
At the moment the best players are in six teams - with each team having a second XI playing a similar structure (just not first class). The department structure, in its last iteration had 16 teams, which means the talent pool is spread and the quality of competition will likely go down. From what I remember you usually had two or three teams having most of the best players and then a lot of other teams with less quality.

A player might get 10 matches of a similar, higher standard in one season right now. It might be half that with the department system.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
At the moment the best players are in six teams - with each team having a second XI playing a similar structure (just not first class). The department structure, in its last iteration had 16 teams, which means the talent pool is spread and the quality of competition will likely go down. From what I remember you usually had two or three teams having most of the best players and then a lot of other teams with less quality.

A player might get 10 matches of a similar, higher standard in one season right now. It might be half that with the department system.
That makes more sense. I think Ramiz did really well managing Pakistan Cricket. Sad to see him sacked!

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Adding on what @wasteyouryouth has already explained excellently, there’s plenty of rumoured nepotism and corruption in the departmental cricket setup with multiple people being there without possessing any real talent whatsoever. The current system has issues with a lot of domestic cricketers being underpaid or unpaid (not counting the recently delayed salaries) because they aren’t playing much owing to the limited teams but the level of cricket from what I’ve heard has been much better than in the past. From a cursory glance at recent domestic records too I think it is a fair point as in the past you’d have plenty of medium pacers averaging in the low 20s but they would be nothing more than cannon fodder at international level.

Gurukirat

School Cricketer
Hello
For pakistan test vs NZ
Pakistan included Dahani, Mir Hamza & Sajid Khan in dec 26-30, 2022 1st test

Good Luck

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Rumours abound that Mickey Arthur will return to the coaching gig. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread