Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I don’t know how much you guys are familiar with Pakistan domestic cricket, but any theories on why we’re producing only openers in white-ball cricket right now? @Aislabie @Bevab

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I don’t know how much you guys are familiar with Pakistan domestic cricket, but any theories on why we’re producing only openers in white-ball cricket right now? @Aislabie @Bevab
My theory is flat pitches and coaches encouraging accumulation by openers

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
I mean if you're only looking at runs and averages I feel it's always gonna be the top order players that stand out, regardless of country. And in T20s, everyone wants to open. It's the easiest position to bat in the top 7 imo, and also gives you a better chance of scoring truckloads of runs.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I mean if you're only looking at runs and averages I feel it's always gonna be the top order players that stand out, regardless of country. And in T20s, everyone wants to open. It's the easiest position to bat in the top 7 imo, and also gives you a better chance of scoring truckloads of runs.
I don’t disagree, but other countries can produce middle order batters too, we seemingly cannot right now.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I don’t disagree, but other countries can produce middle order batters too, we seemingly cannot right now.
Livingstone was often an opener, he's just to adapt. Phil Salt has played down the order sometimes despite always opening domestically. Bairstow has had to move down for England. Malan opens domestically but had to settle for three. Butter was used in the middle order for ages before going up to open.

I think teams have to be savvy about the roles they want players to perform and players have to be willing and able to perform different roles.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

I don’t have much if any experience at all with Pakistani domestic cricket but from a general point of view, I’d say @pillowprocter and @wasteyouryouth are spot on. Teams and players have simply had to adapt to what demands they faced especially in T20s. To add on to the England example, the best I’ve seen Stokes play was when he opened for RR, Mo used to be an opener once upon a time around the time of the 2015 ODI WC.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is there any truth to the rumour that the Pakistani players are holding out on signing a new contract for much better terms? Saw it on r/cricket but the source didn’t seem reliable by any measure.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Is there any truth to the rumour that the Pakistani players are holding out on signing a new contract for much better terms? Saw it on r/cricket but the source didn’t seem reliable by any measure.
I read it somewhere too, but no journalist has reported it properly.

scoodledoodle

Club Cricketer

Inzamam, Hafeez join Misbah-led Cricket Technical Committee​

The CTC will have the powers to invite additional cricket experts, and shall report to the head of the PCB Management Committee on regular basis
Acting Director – Domestic Cricket Operations, Junaid Zia, has been included as the ex-officio member of the CTC, and Usman Tasleem is the ex-officio and secretary.
this team will hopefully develop and improve our domestic system

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

Inzamam, Hafeez join Misbah-led Cricket Technical Committee​

The CTC will have the powers to invite additional cricket experts, and shall report to the head of the PCB Management Committee on regular basis
Acting Director – Domestic Cricket Operations, Junaid Zia, has been included as the ex-officio member of the CTC, and Usman Tasleem is the ex-officio and secretary.
this team will hopefully develop and improve our domestic system

A similar committee was set up in 2019 as well, and it died a silent and anonymous death. Given that political upheavals mean upheavals in the PCB too, i am doubtful about this committee’s survival.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Given the recent success streak under Arthur, I cannot fathom the need for this committee. I fully expect them to make wholesale coaching staff changes and get in a new coach soon.

Users who are viewing this thread