Pakistan Tour of Ireland and England - May 2024

Shadab and Azam in the middle order is a recipe for disaster man, you see them do well in the PSL on typical subcontinent wickets against absolute nobodies and you think they're good enough to do this in international cricket and in a World Cup.

Mickey Mouse team for a reason, smdh. :facepalm
Keep the faith. Don't think like Babar

Pakistan's best opener is batting 4. That's why they won't win the World Cup.

YouTube recommended the highlights of this game whilst I was searching for something to watch and so I gave it a shot and came to the same conclusion. Unless Ayub is someone who has the potential of a Gill I don’t understand why he’s opening ahead of Fakhar.

Fakhar batting for fifteen to twenty deliveries with the majority being in the powerplay could win you 30% of a game on his own if he doesn’t get out. Bit of a big if but I’d rather take that risk than have him out at four when T20 teams live and die by how good their top three batters are.

Keep the faith. Don't think like Babar
God forbid I think like Bobzy da King

But the fact of the matter is that Azam and Shadab, in their current versions, are not suited for pacey wickets. I imagine they'll still do well at the World Cup because Windian wickets, at least traditionally, are a lot like the subcontinent wickets. Don't know how the American wickets turn out, but this duo just ain't cut out for a Twenty20 match without a massive "conditions" IF.

So, from the 7th or 8th over I was saying '180' to one of my companions. In the end England got just above that.

Most notable was that it seemed tough to get in. Buttler managed it, Bairstow kind of managed it. Only Jacks and Fakhar seemed to be able to take on the bowling from the outset. Hence my statement that Fakhar is Pakistan's best opener. England kept getting pegged back but Pakistan were from the early stages losing early wickets. At half-way it felt set up for a trademark Babar/Rizwan chase.

Aside from that, it was great to see Jofra back. Although every time he fielded that ball I winced, worried he'd shatter into a million pieces.

Was not impressed by Shaheen or Haris - the other two bowlers I was excited to see.

Anyway, the biggest takeaway was how awesome the Pakistan fans are. The place lit up whenever an England wicket fell. FRom the moment they read the teams out and every England name (aside from 'Brother Mo') got booed.
:lol It was great seeing so many families (something the ECB complain about not being able to attract), it was easy to get served at the bar cause at least half the crowd didn't drink.

Also, maybe it's just the guys sat behind us, but Pakistan fans are the biggest haters ever. To hilarious levels. "More than 120 clicks, Amir", Azam Khan the "tortoise", Haris with his "buffet bowling". I haven't heard such hating since the Playa Haters' Ball on Chappelle's Show
Also, there was a Pakistan fan handing out pizza boxes down the row in front of us! Didn't get any, but what a legend. One guy behind us was at least happy that Man U won.

Also, big up to the guy who ran onto to the pitch with the Palestine flag.

YouTube recommended the highlights of this game whilst I was searching for something to watch and so I gave it a shot and came to the same conclusion. Unless Ayub is someone who has the potential of a Gill I don’t understand why he’s opening ahead of Fakhar.

Fakhar batting for fifteen to twenty deliveries with the majority being in the powerplay could win you 30% of a game on his own if he doesn’t get out. Bit of a big if but I’d rather take that risk than have him out at four when T20 teams live and die by how good their top three batters are.
It feels like the opposite of Bairstow, where he's probably not the best number 4, but the three above him are where they need to be.

Fakhar just looked so much more adaptable. Maybe he's where he needs to be but it feels like Saim and Azam are big risks if they are going into the tournament with them in the top 6.

Last edited:
God forbid I think like Bobzy da King

But the fact of the matter is that Azam and Shadab, in their current versions, are not suited for pacey wickets. I imagine they'll still do well at the World Cup because Windian wickets, at least traditionally, are a lot like the subcontinent wickets. Don't know how the American wickets turn out, but this duo just ain't cut out for a Twenty20 match without a massive "conditions" IF.
Pacey wickets only exist in Australia in T20s
Azam has had like 4 innings in total where he's walked in to a situation where you can reasonably expect him to do well consistently. I believe him in him.
Shadab is a number 3-4 being consistently misused

So, from the 7th or 8th over I was saying '180' to one of my companions. In the end England got just above that.

Most notable was that it seemed tough to get in. Buttler managed it, Bairstow kind of managed it. Only Jacks and Fakhar seemed to be able to take on the bowling from the outset. Hence my statement that Fakhar is Pakistan's best opener. England kept getting pegged back but Pakistan were from the early stages losing early wickets. At half-way it felt set up for a trademark Babar/Rizwan chase.

Aside from that, it was great to see Jofra back. Although every time he fielded that ball I winced, worried he'd shatter into a million pieces.

Was not impressed by Shaheen or Haris - the other two bowlers I was excited to see.

Anyway, the biggest takeaway was how awesome the Pakistan fans are. The place lit up whenever an England wicket fell. FRom the moment they read the teams out and every England name (aside from 'Brother Mo') got booed.
:lol It was great seeing so many families (something the ECB complain about not being able to attract), it was easy to get served at the bar cause at least half the crowd didn't drink.

Also, maybe it's just the guys sat behind us, but Pakistan fans are the biggest haters ever. To hilarious levels. "More than 120 clicks, Amir", Azam Khan the "tortoise", Haris with his "buffet bowling". I haven't heard such hating since the Playa Haters' Ball on Chappelle's Show
Also, there was a Pakistan fan handing out pizza boxes down the row in front of us! Didn't get any, but what a legend. One guy behind us was at least happy that Man U won.

Also, big up to the guy who ran onto to the pitch with the Palestine flag.

It feels like the opposite of Bairstow, where he's probably not the best number 4, but the three above him are where they need to be.

Fakhar just looked so much more adaptable. Maybe he's where he needs to be but it feels like Saim and Azam are big risks if they are going into the tournament with them in the top 6.

The funniest part is that I can see Pakistan batting Bairstow at four too if they had him in their side with the same rationale of “well he’s adaptable, so let him play there”.

Users who are viewing this thread