Pakistan tour of West Indies Apr/May 2011

Pakistan need a good replacement for a strike bowler like Rana Naved or some like GUl but more consistent. There batting dept is also seroiusly poor. They rely on one man proformance. Afridi has lost his touch with the bat..:)

Would be a nice idea if they could all get it right from the start, but one can only imagine how bad it could be if they didn't. Sammy's got a valid place in the side until they have more than a couple of established and consistent bowlers.

Would be a nice idea if they could all get it right from the start, but one can only imagine how bad it could be if they didn't. Sammy's got a valid place in the side until they have more than a couple of established and consistent bowlers.

No, even with the only other established bowler in Taylor out. The current good form of Rampaul & Bishoo means that of the squad selected, a 4 man attack of Edwards/Roach/Rampaul/Bishoo is the valid attack - picking Sammy instead of one of those 4 however clearly isn't. I would even argue on that dead Guyana wicket, they probably needed to have Dwayne Bravo bowling as well to give them a rounded 5-man attack.

Picking Sammy means you have to weaken the batting or bowling (most likely they will weaken the bowling), which totally unbalances the side. Plus also on that dead wicket, you putting pressure on Edwards in his 1st test back for 2 years to have a great workload. If god forbin he breaks down, you basically will just have Roach/Sammy/Bishoo bowling since none of them top 7 can bowl competent part-time overs. Which would be utterly ridiculous.

Sammy aint no Mike Brearley - you cant even argue he is no master-tactical captain that you can look past his horrid deficiencies as a test player, just to have his captaincy. Has we all know he is stop gap measure that the dumb WI selectors made as captain due to turmoil/misunderstanding with certain players. With all the main players back & fit again (quicker than most thought as the case with Edwards shows) - it is increasingly obvious Sammy cant make the WI test XI on merit & thus this saga of him being captain has to end at once (by the end of this Pakistan series). But in the mean time as i said he can make test history & become the 1st captain to volunteer to sit out a test match.

It's not so much about being certain that Sammy will forever be a useful player as it is about being uncertain if anyone else will do the job.

Ultimately, there is nothing to say that any of Bishoo, Rampaul or Edwards are in good Test form. That is the key problem. They may have good claims, but until the game is actually played, it boils down to heavy guesswork and these things have a habit of turning into Murphy's Law.

Bishoo could be anything, but he will definitely be a d?butante in the next Test he plays. We all hope for him, but too much is probably already expected of him. Best case scenario for Edwards is a decent strike rate, but he is still expensive; it's not only fatigue that needs to be protected against where he is concerned. Rampaul really has as much to prove as Bishoo despite his greater experience. His attempts to go all the way have been marred by flashes of uncanny awfulness and he needs to demonstrate that he is in control of himself for good. Meanwhile, there is Roach. He has been a mainstay, almost a ready-made player, but if you need an entire Test attack to be carried by someone, he's not that guy yet.

It's not about the raw skill or maturity of the players in question, it's being able to give them enough time to show it. Such a heavy payload of risks usually needs a counterweight, a stabilising force that can be relied upon. To that end, this squad does indeed lack players like Dwayne Bravo or Jerome Taylor, but if they were in, there'd be even less reason to pick both of Rampaul and Edwards at once. Concerns about an unstable lineup would diminish considerably.

There are whispers that the selectors now want Sammy to politely move along, but this is the bed they've made for themselves. After some seasons where they could bemoan the lack of fit options, now they have those very players available and are little better to show for it. At face value, I'm not convinced any of these players should be part of a four man attack. I'm also not convinced that these selectors, the board or the coach have the wherewithal to really persist with them until they are up to it.

Don't matter what anyone said. Sammy going to Remain Captain.
All i can say Sammy need to Step up, now.

But currently West Indies Selector need to learn how to pick a good Team in a format. I personally had no problems with the ODI squad, like trying out young talent. but for the longer version i am happy to See Chanderpaul and Sarwan back along with F Edwards.
I personal like the Squad, But i also think K Edward should be in here, because tbh WI Selectors Wasted him in ODI, he isn't an ODI he is more a Test player.
My 1st TEST pick
L Simmons, S Chanderpaul, D Bravo, R Sarwan, B Nash, C Baugh,
D Sammy, Bishoo, K Roach, F Edwards, R Rampal

I see people keep on saying Dwayne Bravo should be playing. But to be honest i wouldn't pick him at all from now on. Bravo for me was one of those player who I would like to see go very far and becoming W.I next Captain. unfortunately he made himself unavailable for West Indies Test series against Pakistan, because he wants to go IPL.

So lets go back to the topic. ok I would say lets put WICB as the main enemies and they are demolishing West Indies Cricket.

So why Dwayne Bravo put himself Unavailable for the Test Series to go on and play IPL? Where is the Pride for Playing for West Indies?
The Bangladesh series.
Chris Gayle and Co Strike because they weren't getting paid fully, and skip the Whole series along with the Championship Trophy. IS this what you call Loyal to West Indies Cricket and it's Fan? Where is the Pride gone, is it all about money only now?

We have been Disgrace 5-0, 3-0 during the Time of these guys. getting kick out of World cup in 1st round, hardly beating any team above us. Winning a few game while losing Alot more, with these same player.< Before this new Coach came> Drop from number 3 during the late 90's to our current Position now 8th. with these Same experience Player.
Yet when WICB whats to try something different. chaos come in.

For the Past decade. what new story us West Indies Fan sees. If it's Chris Gayle team or even Sammy Team. the story is the same, W.I been all out for 130, etc. West Indies losing by 10 wkts all Same new nothing much different. West Lost against the team above the 5-0, 3-0. Losing the series winning the last match which the series is done. and many same stories of today.

Gayle had led West Indies in 20 Tests, but has won only 3 matches. He has 17 wins in 53 one-day internationals as captain. <correct me if i am wrong>

( i personaly dont think that's WICB is at default all the time, yes they do make silly and Stupid mistakes, but i dont blame for every single thing that happen. For people who dont nothing about the past west indies cricket and what made West Indies in the past soo power should watch BBC's Empire of Cricket : West Indies. It have some great information and yes West Indies under C Loyd did alot and alot of training, they played for Pride and not for money, they use to come Home and then have to look for jobs. I know that time and these times are different, but that Documentary is very interesting to see what our Cricket went from to what is have become, From Pride to a Money making affair.)

Looking at the windies bowling attack and with Pakistan missing out Younis, this could be a potential banana skin for us.

I'm quite keen to see how the Pakistani batsmen perform in test matches. They're a very good ODI side but not the best of the test side. Younis and Yousuf are not in the side which means that it's a fairly unexperienced side. Only experienced player is Misbah. Should be interesting series this.

if simmons does well I'll be sort of chuffed with myself, I thought he looked like the sort of player the windies needed years ago.

to be honest I'd kinda given up on him though.

Pakistan need a good replacement for a strike bowler like Rana Naved

Oh come on are you in your senses? Rana Naved? that's the problem of Our cricket fans they don't look beyond Imran Nazir and Rana Naved after their icl Performances

It's enough to say that his test Average is 58 and i am afraid this is not his batting average

And more importantly he's 33 now

Last edited:
I dont mind bringing back a player like Imran Nazir who has a massive talent and an explosive strike rate.

Anyhow, Apparently, PCB is planning to sack Afridi as a One Day Captain, Instead Misbah-ul-Haq is likely to be the next Captain. I heard this in News, But I hope that it won't happen.

And you heard it On any News Channel right? i've been hearing this since he was appointed

And how many Afridi you want in Pakistani Team by bringing Nazir in? That's why we've forget to produce players Like Inzi,Yousuf and Javed

He's got talent if you Say htting the ball blindly is Talent

Imran Nazir should be in the T20 squad. Thats it. Unless he shows some consistency can we consider him for the ODIs.

Afridi should stay as captain for the ODI and the T20s. Selection disputes happen at times and its usually because both parties wanted the best for Pakistan cricket. Shouldnt be the reason why we change captains. We are moving smoothly and steadily into the forward direction and the last thing we need is an incident like this.

What the hell did curator had in mind when he prepared this surface. It has uneven bounce and turn of a fifth day pitch :facepalm. I think the curator supports Pakistan a lot more than he does the home team :D.

That Doosra Ajmal bowled to get C'Paul was absolutely brilliant. I have been watching him this tour & i must say his control of the doosra these days is the best I've seen a off-spinner do it. He can bowl 6 doosra's on the same spot in 1 over. Even the great Murali, Saqlain the inventor of the doosra & Harbhajan couldn't/dont/cant do that @ their peaks, they made if a surprise ball or maybe 2-3 an over.

Users who are viewing this thread