Pakistan vs England in United Arab Emirates - October/November 2015

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
There is no way Pakistan will play 3 seamers in the UAE. I don't think Junaid will play, based on his performances against SL. Also, Shafiq in for Hafeez.
I'm with you, I think the PCB will go for 2 seamers and one should be Junaid though, because he has the experience and the skill. It's just that personally, I'd like to see them play 3 seamers.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
However much I agree with you here, the management are not gonna drop Bell for this one, frustrating because he has done heck all for a while, and his two fifties at Edgbaston (one with fortune after being dropped badly) seem to have cemented his place in for a good while yet. I would love to see a middle order of Ali, Taylor and Stokes but can't see it. Hales is a must, Ali would get eaten alive in South Africa as an opener so best give Hales a go now. As for the seam attack, I wouldn't be averse to giving Plunkett or Wood a go because of the little bit more pace they give but think they'll stick with Finn.

I wouldn't mind Woods either, he is a bit lower than the other guys and gets the ball to skid on, guys like that do well in Asia.

In terms of Bell, is there anyone else in the 21st century who has been so favoured by the ECB? Seriously, it's ridiculous.

I agree, let's give Hales his shot at the opening shot in tests, can't do worse than Lyth but there should be no compromise on Ali, he is a terrific middle order batsman.

estmsm

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
England made a mistake by dropping Gary Ballance!

He is tailor made for flat tracks!

The opening pair of England will decide their fate!

If they give them good starts then England will be in the series!

bigred

Club Captain
From Cook's comments today it looks like the team will be:

1. Ali
2. Cook
3. Bell
4. Root
5. Taylor
6. Stokes
7. Buttler
8. Rashid
9. Broad
10. Wood
11. Anderson

Against NZ, one of the Emirates pitches was turning square, so we might think about dropping either Taylor, Stokes or Wood for Patel. The last of those options would mean an incredibly long batting line up.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
From Cook's comments today it looks like the team will be:

1. Ali
2. Cook
3. Bell
4. Root
5. Taylor
6. Stokes
7. Buttler
8. Rashid
9. Broad
10. Wood
11. Anderson

Against NZ, one of the Emirates pitches was turning square, so we might think about dropping either Taylor, Stokes or Wood for Patel. The last of those options would mean an incredibly long batting line up.

No Patel please!!

Rashid and Ali as spinners are enough and superior bats and fielders to Patel.

Having said that, I'd prefer Hales as opener, simply because I think he can really get England off to a rollicking start, even if he gets caught out against spin. I originally liked the idea of Ali as opener but I'd prefer him in the middle order and Hales to get a shot, as he could be one for the future. Ali as opener for one series doesn't bode well for England.

bigred

Club Captain
No Patel please!!

Rashid and Ali as spinners are enough and superior bats and fielders to Patel.

Having said that, I'd prefer Hales as opener, simply because I think he can really get England off to a rollicking start, even if he gets caught out against spin. I originally liked the idea of Ali as opener but I'd prefer him in the middle order and Hales to get a shot, as he could be one for the future. Ali as opener for one series doesn't bode well for England.

Yeah I think I'd go for Hales, but I suppose they have to decide whether Hales will score more runs than Taylor. If they think Taylor is the best bet, then they have no choice but to open with Ali. And before people say it, they're not going to drop Ian Bell. At least not for the first two tests.

I have to say, I'm not sure Samit is worth his place in the test side. I think he's a great one day player, but his red ball form has been disappointing. However, NZ felt the need to play Vettori, Craig and Sodhi in one of the tests (can't remember which ground it was). This is despite them having a brilliant seam attack. It might just be that Stokes has no value in the side as he won't bowl much. Therefore, Patel might have a greater influence on he result.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Yeah I think I'd go for Hales, but I suppose they have to decide whether Hales will score more runs than Taylor. If they think Taylor is the best bet, then they have no choice but to open with Ali. And before people say it, they're not going to drop Ian Bell. At least not for the first two tests.

I have to say, I'm not sure Samit is worth his place in the test side. I think he's a great one day player, but his red ball form has been disappointing. However, NZ felt the need to play Vettori, Craig and Sodhi in one of the tests (can't remember which ground it was). This is despite them having a brilliant seam attack. It might just be that Stokes has no value in the side as he won't bowl much. Therefore, Patel might have a greater influence on he result.

I just really dislike Patel, he seems to show zero dedication, with all that money and all those facilities at his disposal, the guy should be in far greater shape. Stokes will probably suffer on those tracks, you're right about that. Can't england find someone better than Patel? lol

Bell...that problem is never going away.

Jetty

School Cricketer
I am guessing
First warm up - Cook Ali Bell Tayor Root Bairstow Stokes Buttler Rashid Broad Anderson
Second warm up - Cook Hales Taylor Root Ali Patel Buttler Rashid Plunkett Wood Finn

bigred

Club Captain
Has Bairstow got his nose in front for the keeper spot? I want Taylor in the team, so will probably mean that one if them has to go.

Before people say, 'they should drop Bell' think about it and then realise that they won't.

Can't believe that we've only organised two days of batting before the first test. Would not be surprised if we get smashed in the opener.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Can't believe that we've only organised two days of batting before the first test. Would not be surprised if we get smashed in the opener.

It's not ideal, but considering the ridiculously packed schedule the ECB has organized for the team since the start of this year (probably the worst in English cricket history) you can't blame the them for this.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
I feel that Pakistan is a well-balanced side and England must be on a high with ashes crown on their heads so It should be a very exciting contest. What England needs to do is not to take Pakistan lightly and remember the four years back 3-0 defeat and this time should come with their right confidence rather than making it over, I remember Paul collingwood said before that series that we will 3-0 Pakistan and they themselves end up with that fate lol.

What Pakistan needs to do at this stage is to make the right combination and should not do any experimentation at all. This is a serious business not a child's play or a gallee mohalaa (town) cricket that in first match you are going with Sheda and in the next you are opening with Meda. Use your brain Waqar, Let the captain do his job, Enough experimentation!!! Lets go with the kill with a right combination. But I doubt you will listen :p

I heard that Malik is back for tests as well, Now it would be foolish to include him in the playing squad and disturb your winning test combination. Let the guy bench for the first test and then see how the on-going middle order performs if there is a genuine space for the second test then include him. Do not force players please. Cricket is bigger not players

bigred

Club Captain
I feel that Pakistan is a well-balanced side and England must be on a high with ashes crown on their heads so It should be a very exciting contest. What England needs to do is not to take Pakistan lightly and remember the four years back 3-0 defeat and this time should come with their right confidence rather than making it over, I remember Paul collingwood said before that series that we will 3-0 Pakistan and they themselves end up with that fate lol.

What Pakistan needs to do at this stage is to make the right combination and should not do any experimentation at all. This is a serious business not a child's play or a gallee mohalaa (town) cricket that in first match you are going with Sheda and in the next you are opening with Meda. Use your brain Waqar, Let the captain do his job, Enough experimentation!!! Lets go with the kill with a right combination. But I doubt you will listen :p

I heard that Malik is back for tests as well, Now it would be foolish to include him in the playing squad and disturb your winning test combination. Let the guy bench for the first test and then see how the on-going middle order performs if there is a genuine space for the second test then include him. Do not force players please. Cricket is bigger not players

Are you sure Coliingwood said that? I would have thought he was the most unlikely person in the side to have said it. He might have suggested that they were aiming for a 3-0 win.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Are you sure Coliingwood said that? I would have thought he was the most unlikely person in the side to have said it. He might have suggested that they were aiming for a 3-0 win.

Yup remembered clearly saw headline in cricinfo back then... It may be we will go for 3-0 or we are aiming for 3-0, but it was said before the series.

bigred

Club Captain
Yup remembered clearly saw headline in cricinfo back then... It may be we will go for 3-0 or we are aiming for 3-0, but it was said before the series.

Wouldn't it be stupid not to go for 3-0 in a three match series? I'd be worried if he wasn't. That's very different saying we will win 3-0, which has an arrogance about it. Colly certainly wasn't arrogant.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
I dont know about arrogance, but he definitely said it before the series words may differ. Check the history or infact forget the history lets focus on the present and see what English team does :)

Users who are viewing this thread