Pakistan vs New Zealand @ UAE 2009

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm thinking we should bring Southee up the order ahead of N. McCullum, Butler and Bond...

He was the only middle/lower order batsmen that could hit the ball cleanly, even though he only hit two clean shots, one went for six and the other caught on the fence.

N. McCullum and Watling seemed like workers of the ball, not really big hitters for my liking in this form of the game.

Nathan McCullum's more of a hitter then a worker of the ball tbh, he's a fairly average batsmen though. With all the injuries in this current squad I can see why we had to play Watling, but batting him at five was fairly stupid (unless we had one of the top order going really well). This is easily Watling's less favourite form of the game, but at least I got to see him play this tour :D

Was anyone impressed with Redmond's leg-spinners by the way? Can't see why he hasn't been thrown the ball a lot more tbh, he has 100 FC wickets for anyone that didn't know.

After the next 20/20 we don't play a limited overs game until Feburary next year, hopefully with everyone fit we should look like this:

1.Brendon McCullum (WK)
2.Jesse Ryder
3.Martin Guptill
4.Ross Taylor
5.Grant Elliott
6.Daniel Vettori
7.Franklin/Oram/A decent finisher, Stewart perhaps?
8.Kyle Mills
9.Tim Southee
10.Shane Bond
11.Darryl Tuffey

Or we could keep Styris in the team and bat him at six, or maybe seven. He could play the finishing role decently I feel.

Raj_Aryan

Club Cricketer
Look at Bond's figures, 4 overs, just 17 runs and 2 wickets ! That really good in a 20 voer match, but you really cant expect every time from him, it was a good effort by Pak team, good batting supported by good bowling...

braguvaran

Club Cricketer
What a performance from Aamir!! he looks an awesome prospect really !!
What a ball that one to mccullum , i think the 3rd one??

Well done pak and afridi

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Nathan McCullum's more of a hitter then a worker of the ball tbh, he's a fairly average batsmen though. With all the injuries in this current squad I can see why we had to play Watling, but batting him at five was fairly stupid (unless we had one of the top order going really well). This is easily Watling's less favourite form of the game, but at least I got to see him play this tour :D

Was anyone impressed with Redmond's leg-spinners by the way? Can't see why he hasn't been thrown the ball a lot more tbh, he has 100 FC wickets for anyone that didn't know.

After the next 20/20 we don't play a limited overs game until Feburary next year, hopefully with everyone fit we should look like this:

1.Brendon McCullum (WK)
2.Jesse Ryder
3.Martin Guptill
4.Ross Taylor
5.Grant Elliott
6.Daniel Vettori
7.Franklin/Oram/A decent finisher, Stewart perhaps?
8.Kyle Mills
9.Tim Southee
10.Shane Bond
11.Darryl Tuffey

Or we could keep Styris in the team and bat him at six, or maybe seven. He could play the finishing role decently I feel.

I would only play three out of the four quickies, so therefore Tuffey and Southee would be going for one spot.
Also I'd still like to see McCullum drop down the order, sure he has had a good Pakistan tour but that is really is one in about twenty...

Personally this is what my team would be:

Not quite sure on where some certain player's should bat, but I feel that is the strongest group of thirteen player's we have available to us.

Eight bowling options is by far enough, if even a couple of player's are being targeted their will be enough cover. Also the line-up bats right down to 8/9 with Oram/Franklin and Mills.

1. Jesse Ryder (7/8)
2. Martin Guptill
3. Ross Taylor
4. Scott Styris (6)
5. Grant Elliott (7/8)
6. Daniel Vettori (c) (4/5)
7. Brendon McCullum (wk)
8. Jacob Oram/James Franklin (4/5)
9. Kyle Mills (2/3)
10. Darryl Tuffey/Tim Southee (2/3)
11. Shane Bond (1)

irottev

School Cricketer
Just found out Vettori has a mild concussion. Really can't believe he bowled 1/42 off 10 overs and got a runout with a concussion, even mild. Didn't seem to affect him one bit. Superman!

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I would only play three out of the four quickies, so therefore Tuffey and Southee would be going for one spot.
Also I'd still like to see McCullum drop down the order, sure he has had a good Pakistan tour but that is really is one in about twenty...

Personally this is what my team would be:

Not quite sure on where some certain player's should bat, but I feel that is the strongest group of thirteen player's we have available to us.

Eight bowling options is by far enough, if even a couple of player's are being targeted their will be enough cover. Also the line-up bats right down to 8/9 with Oram/Franklin and Mills.

1. Jesse Ryder (7/8)
2. Martin Guptill
3. Ross Taylor
4. Scott Styris (6)
5. Grant Elliott (7/8)
6. Daniel Vettori (c) (4/5)
7. Brendon McCullum (wk)
8. Jacob Oram/James Franklin (4/5)
9. Kyle Mills (2/3)
10. Darryl Tuffey/Tim Southee (2/3)
11. Shane Bond (1)

Taylor at three for me is a big no no, he only averages 30 batting at three and something like 40 batting at four. Tbh I'd much rather see him come in at five and go nuts in the last 15 or so overs, but with New Zealand's depth that can't happen.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Taylor at three for me is a big no no, he only averages 30 batting at three and something like 40 batting at four. Tbh I'd much rather see him come in at five and go nuts in the last 15 or so overs, but with New Zealand's depth that can't happen.

Yeah I no...
I would much rather see him at four, but then that leaves a spot at three, and if you move Guptill to three, then that leaves an opening spot, and that just leads back to McCullum going up the order, which I do not want.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah I no...
I would much rather see him at four, but then that leaves a spot at three, and if you move Guptill to three, then that leaves an opening spot, and that just leads back to McCullum going up the order, which I do not want.

Watling, How, Flynn, Broom. The first two can open, and the other two could easily bat at three. I know how you feel about Broom so I want bother with him, but Daniel Flynn was also very harshly dropped imo. He was in the same boat as Broom, batting far to low. Flynn imo is a far better one day player and the domestic season before he made his international debut he killed it for ND in the one dayers (He hit two massive 100's).

1.Guptill
2.Ryder
3.Flynn
4.Taylor
5.Elliott
6.Vettori
7.McCullum

That could work, at the moment I'd probably still rather see McCullum up the top of the order (as long as he plays his natural game though).

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah I'll wait and see hoe Flynn goes this summer. :)
He will defiantly be in the test team at least, so he hasn't been completely dropped.

I feel How is a very good prospect in the next year or two. He has an ODI batting average of over 34 in 31 matches, which is very good for a New Zealander, also that is around what Fleming, Astle and McMillan averaged.

irottev

School Cricketer
ummmm....McCullum just scored a hundred and like a 70odd. Leave the guy up the order tbh. At least give him a few more series.

My XI:

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliot
Styris
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Southee/Tuffey
Bond

Styris at 6 I think is a good place for him since he is able to clear the fence probably better than Elliot. Elliot's form has been better so should bat above him and is better at accumulating which is what I like from a #5. Very long batting line up, 4 frontline bowlers and Elliot/Oram to share the rest.

I'd consider selecting How if he plays well in domestic, however Broom, Flynn etc can GTFO. They're bad. At least in ODI cricket.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
This match will not be broadcasted in India as the same freaking channel got the rights for the SA-ENG series as well :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

irottev

School Cricketer
Can't do much when theres so many injuries. Good to see Franklin is fit again. Watling didn't really make an impression but he'll take something for playing a few games.

We got close, just didn't utilize wickets well enough. Not a good enough scoring rate.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Didn't carry the ODI form to the shorter format but it was a good series for NZ with the ODI series win.

Raj_Aryan

Club Cricketer
That was a close game, Styris tried hard, but it was good bowling by Tanvir.... so finally Pak seal series..Congratulations..

Users who are viewing this thread